We Lost Our Principal

Credo

We had a really wonderful principal--the kind you could really call a pal.  Nothing untoward has happened to her, but she was transferred to another school and a new person was elevated to her position.  

The other principal was really, really good.  She was very Thai, very conservative, but very nice.  She listened, she explained, she was sympathetic, but she was still strict.  She had earned nearly everyones respect.  Coming to work with her around was always at least a pleasant experience.  When she came into a classroom, she was helpful--not just looking for a teacher who had screwed up.

The new one is a miserable person.  She is nitpicky, pedantic and arrogant.  One day her complaints were about who was dressed nicely enough.  The students are never bad, only the teacher who doesn't control them etc.

How have other teachers dealt with these situations?

You only have 2 really self-serving options (i.e, things that will be good for you without hurting you). One is to survive quietly, the other is to move on.

In the former case, you can look at it as 'this too will pass,' if you think the job is good enough to be worth it. Speaking up may help 'it' to pass more quickly, but will also implicate you negatively no matter what your intention or what the truth is. Keep your head down and wait for better times.

In the latter, you have to worry about whether the devil you know is worse than the devil you don't.

It's not an enviable situation, but all too common. Good luck.

Phetaroj is a former principal/headmaster who probably has good advice.

My daughter did her student teaching at a middle school, and stayed on for almost ten years. Aside from being asked for her hall pass (she resembled an 8th grade girl), the school was very well run. She became science chair; then her boss became principal of the Gifted-Talented Magnet High School. His replacement was totally incompetent. She played her cards right and now teaches at that magnet school.

Adapt or get the heck out of Dodge skillfully.

A couple of years ago I worked in the EP program of a major Bangkok High School. The Director was a very nice fellow who was also very supportive of the EP program. At the end of the year he was transferred to another school. His replacement's first act was to announce that he was freezing everyone's salary for the next year. 4 out of six teachers bailed out right away. The other two left at then end of the next year. He may have saved a few thousand baht, but the students lost all continuity in their education.

Okay, I'm going to brag just a little. Just this morning I got an email from a teacher at the school in the States where I was principal for 7 years. Here is one section of the email, edited, as indicated to protect the innocent :) : "U R remembered with great fondness and missed often...[The new principal] is still always talking about "how we did it at xxx or xxx school" and it makes everyone feel "less than" in her eyes....I still don't think she appreciates [our school]...Too busy trying to change it. There are some signs of improvement, but she is certainly not someone you can talk to about something you don't like...She hears what she agrees with. A few of us were missing the fact that we could tell you like it was (from our perspective) and sometimes you agreed and sometimes not, but we felt both "heard" and the freedom to tell you you were wrong (from our perspective :D." And, just to clarify, our school's statewide test scores were always higher, and the number of students sent to the governor's school for the "gifted" always far greater from our school.

It sounds as if the OP is now is the same kind of situation. I have experienced the same in my years of teaching, and also as an assistant principal. I was at my school for about two decades as an assistant principal and then principal...and went through 7 principals. Naturally, some were better than others. But when #6 rolled in, within just a few months I had decided that if she was staying, I was going. Then, after just a few months, she left! And guess who the next principal was.

Even in the States there is not much to do in such a situation. Unless you could provide real evidence of incompetence, you're going to be looked at as just not wanting change or wanting a soft principal who doesn't monitor teacher performance. I'd guess here...more so. Unless the entire faculty is willing to "revolt", going to her is unlikely to resolve much either. I assume you have nothing like a Faculty Advisory Council to air critiques and needs.

Go stealth? Anonymous (and written in Thai by a Thai) letters to the new principal's supervisor?

I also have one caveat, and I'll relate it as a story (true). The high school that our school fed into once was assigned a new principal that earned the nickname Atilla The Hun-ey. She outright fired several teachers and went on the war path with several others. What none of us knew at the time was that she was assigned that school with orders to clean up the mess. Is there any chance this new principal is in a similar situation?

Thanks, very helpful. The old principal was sent to another school to clean up the mess there--which she will do with skill and great care. We both had been asked to assist sometime back--she with the Thai portion, me with the English Program. One thing was clear and we both agreed on was that it was essential to keep the teachers (it had enormous turnover). Bad teachers are better than no teachers--and these weren't really bad, just mediocre. The old principal is good at motivating people to improve.

The new one represents an older fashioned approach to education and a very top-down method of management. She criticizes, but never says anything nice. The smallest infraction is noted--but never the positive. For example a teacher had his own personal projector with overheads shown from his computer. The worst class in the school was paying close attention. But one of the two doors was shut because the light from the outside made it difficult to see. Her comments: The door needs to be open and they shouldn't watch movies! When it was explained there was just a grunt and an "oh".

Her other major achievements have been adding additional duties (not a lot, but a pain) and criticizing and dictating what we will wear.

It may take time to adjust to her style, but it's quite painful to take such a big step backwards.

From the thread title I couldn't resist. I heard this the other day. Supposedly mentioned on TV the other night.

A little boy was refusing to go to school and sat crying in the corner at school time.

His father asked what was wrong.

The little boy said they had kept pigs at school and a couple of weeks ago the school killed a pig and fed all the kids.

Then last week all the chickens died and they fed all the kids chicken for a week.

So the father asked what was wrong with going to school today.

The little boy replied “yesterday the headmaster died, that’s why I don’t want to go to school”. Lol

Thanks, very helpful. The old principal was sent to another school to clean up the mess there--which she will do with skill and great care. We both had been asked to assist sometime back--she with the Thai portion, me with the English Program. One thing was clear and we both agreed on was that it was essential to keep the teachers (it had enormous turnover). Bad teachers are better than no teachers--and these weren't really bad, just mediocre. The old principal is good at motivating people to improve.

The new one represents an older fashioned approach to education and a very top-down method of management. She criticizes, but never says anything nice. The smallest infraction is noted--but never the positive. For example a teacher had his own personal projector with overheads shown from his computer. The worst class in the school was paying close attention. But one of the two doors was shut because the light from the outside made it difficult to see. Her comments: The door needs to be open and they shouldn't watch movies! When it was explained there was just a grunt and an "oh".

Her other major achievements have been adding additional duties (not a lot, but a pain) and criticizing and dictating what we will wear.

It may take time to adjust to her style, but it's quite painful to take such a big step backwards.

I sympathize with you. I think you're stuck. Any chance the old principal will bring you over to her new school?

Rather typical. In every Thai organization, eventually a nutcase with the worst of Thai characteristics will get in charge. Suck up or move on; there's no changing them. I often say that a Thai is like a cat: untrainable.

It's analogous BTW to national organizations in the USA. Sooner or later left-wing loonies will take them over.

Sometimes with a new boss it can take them a few months of strutting before they settle into a routine. When I started at my school this year we had a new assistant director. He was apparently making everyones lives miserable by changing contracts, nit picking and basically getting in everyones hair. I kept my head down - wai-ed for all my worth and waited for it to settle down (or not). 6 months later he has stopped getting involved in the English department and everyone else's business as far as I can tell. It was his way of showing the school that he meant business.

I think it is quite hard for new bosses to come into a job. They are straight away in charge of everything that they know very little about. It is quite common to come in with guns blazing. Hopefully it will settle down. If not you have had some good suggestions about what to do (the anonymous letter was a good suggestion I feel). I also feel some kissing of some toushie works well with nervous new bosses - they are often grateful knowing that someone is on their side and it makes them feel more secure and less touchy.

Sometimes with a new boss it can take them a few months of strutting before they settle into a routine. When I started at my school this year we had a new assistant director. He was apparently making everyones lives miserable by changing contracts, nit picking and basically getting in everyones hair. I kept my head down - wai-ed for all my worth and waited for it to settle down (or not). 6 months later he has stopped getting involved in the English department and everyone else's business as far as I can tell. It was his way of showing the school that he meant business.

I think it is quite hard for new bosses to come into a job. They are straight away in charge of everything that they know very little about. It is quite common to come in with guns blazing. Hopefully it will settle down. If not you have had some good suggestions about what to do (the anonymous letter was a good suggestion I feel). I also feel some kissing of some toushie works well with nervous new bosses - they are often grateful knowing that someone is on their side and it makes them feel more secure and less touchy.

My gosh...a not "I hate administrators" bashing for a change! :)

Two comments on both sides of the overall issues:

1.) Always keep in mind that whoever makes a mistake in a school -- to one extent or another -- it's the principal that is held responsible by the upper echelon. It's a hot seat.

2.) A new boss still has to be a wise boss. They need to tread lightly. Learn the climate and the staff.

I wouldn't leave my present school for a variety of reasons. I am sure many of the positives of the previous principal will remain for a time. As mentioned, the new one may take some time to adjust and it's not necessarily that she's bad, it's just that the other one was really good.

My gosh...a not "I hate administrators" bashing for a change! :)

Only that I have been in a position of coming in as a new boss before, and I was younger than all of them (and a woman in a very male environment)...it wasn't fun for the first few weeks. I have sympathy. However I was also taken aside a few months in and told that I didn't always have to be so harsh, I had gained respect and didn't need to be an ogre to be seen as the boss. There is a time limit to allowing for adjustments.

You mention that a new person was "elevated" into the principle position, so does that mean that she previously worked at the school at a lower position? If so, she may just be "flexiong her muscles", to ensure that everyone knows the she is now "in-charge".

Sounds like she may just be a bit self consious and may be over compensating to ensure all of her former "equals" understand that she is now "superior to them".

Sounds as if some may have lost their principles as well as their principal. Principals have have every right to commentand require a high standard of dress for the teachers they are responsible for. Polices like open doors at all times are their to protect teachers too. Principled teachers do their jobs and that includes respecting the instructions of their superiors. The principled thing to do if they cannot is to leave.

Edited by harrry

Sounds as if some may have lost their principles as well as their principal. Principals have have every right to commentand require a high standard of dress for the teachers they are responsible for. Polices like open doors at all times are their to protect teachers too. Principled teachers do their jobs and that includes respecting the instructions of their superiors. The principled thing to do if they cannot is to leave.

Harrry, even as a retired principal, I think you go to far. Not all principals are great or even good or even acceptable. Is it your principle that unprincipled principals are always right even when they are wrong?

Harrry, even as a retired principal, I think you go to far. Not all principals are great or even good or even acceptable. Is it your principle that unprincipled principals are always right even when they are wrong?

Possibly. However the unprincipled principal would be subject to sanctions from his/her superiors and reportable to them. Class teachers are responsible to the principal and have a duty to comply with the principal's directions. If they are unable to do this they do have the option of leaving. In this case we were not talking about an unprincipled principal merely one with whom the class teacher has difficulty accepting that the principal sets the standards for dress for teachers.

The principal has a tremendous amount of responsibility and accountability. My experience in Thailand is that there a few good managers here. The new principal thinks that the foreign teachers should be treated, or should I say mistreated, in the same way that the Thai teachers are. She thinks it's perfectly OK to have us work on Saturday, it's OK to have us start working earlier in the day and later at night. Our contract specifically states certain conditions. She says no.

We are not Thai teachers and we are not classroom teachers. We are subject teachers and there is a whole different set of things that go with that.

There has always been a push and pull on what foreign teachers can/should do. She's pushing harder and making life uncomfortable. Yes, it's an adjustment time and it's uncomfortable. She may find out like previous administrators that when you push too hard the better teachers leave and the less competent ones stay. It took time to train previous principals to understand this. For people with experience, opportunities exist.

The principal has a tremendous amount of responsibility and accountability. My experience in Thailand is that there a few good managers here. The new principal thinks that the foreign teachers should be treated, or should I say mistreated, in the same way that the Thai teachers are. She thinks it's perfectly OK to have us work on Saturday, it's OK to have us start working earlier in the day and later at night. Our contract specifically states certain conditions. She says no.

We are not Thai teachers and we are not classroom teachers. We are subject teachers and there is a whole different set of things that go with that.

There has always been a push and pull on what foreign teachers can/should do. She's pushing harder and making life uncomfortable. Yes, it's an adjustment time and it's uncomfortable. She may find out like previous administrators that when you push too hard the better teachers leave and the less competent ones stay. It took time to train previous principals to understand this. For people with experience, opportunities exist.

In my experience Principals or Directors at government schools overwhelmingly are and have always been administrators in their careers. NOT TEACHERS. They are there often through local political manoeuverings and know nothing but about the requirements of the children and the problems of the teaching staff.

So don't be surprised that the Thai education system is going nowhere slowly but surely.

Edited by sunnymarky

Let her do her thing, she will burn herself out or calm down. If you have a contract with your hours of work take it out and show her but you know where that might lead.

Good luck nothing worse than a new boss who has no confidence or people skills. Been there done that with a few.

• 4 weeks later...
Thanks. I know it's going to take time. It's not that the new one is soooooo bad; it's just that the old one was sooo good!

I feel bad for you Credo, because your loss was my gain. I happen to work at the "other place" and since the arrival of your old principal things have really taken on a more positive feel. Sadly, you've inherited our old principal, who is exactly as you describe, and although they are a nice enough person, their managerial and people skills leave a lot to be desired... My condolences.