25 Years In Jail For Killers Of British Sailor

george

Court sentences killers of British sailor

phuket-The-three-confessed-murders-after-their-arrest-in-March-File-photo-1-yXUpgAX.jpg

The three confessed murders after their

arrest in March. File photo.

PHUKET CITY: -- Two Burmese fishermen were sentenced to 25 years in prison for the March 2009 murder of British yachtsman Malcolm Robertson off the coast of Thailand's Satun province, The Guardian has reported.

At the time of the murder, the semi-retired couple were on their way from Phuket to Malaysia’s Langkawi Island, where they planned to leave their yacht and fly back to the UK.

For earlier reports click here, here and here.

The Foreign Office confirmed that two adult Burmese nationals had been sentenced at Satun Provincial Court on Thursday.

The verdict has not yet been reported in the mainstream Thai-language media.

As both men pleaded guilty to the charges, their sentences were halved, to 25 years and eight months each.

As a minor, a 17-year-old boy also convicted of murder in the case will get a much lighter sentence.

He will be held in custody until he reaches the age of 24.

The trio, arrested about a week after the killing, said they were desperate for food and water after being marooned on the tiny island where the Robertsons had decided to anchor their sailboat Mr Bean.

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2009-11-30

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

Lets hope they really are the killers and not just some easy catch to blame. I always have my doubt when I read these kind of things.

Well they were actually apprehended on the Yacht in question, with the murdered mans wife still tied up on the yacht.

I would say it sounds fairly compelling to me. At least they are off the streets and cannot harm anyone else for the time being.

I hope this helps the victims wife and family obtain some closure on this aweful incident.

I don't think it's a heavy sentence at all. If a Thai that's caught with large amounts of money, drugs, guns, admits he's a big time dealer, and why have the guns? only gets 5 years and probably less with "confessing" more, where as these people acted in cold blooded murder, get their sentenced reduced by admitting the crime. The crime is the a crime, why is the sentence reduced for admitting it? I do understand that 17 year old boys are not consequence conscious and should have a rehab program, but to reduce sentences for cold blooded murder is stupid. Death sentences for foreigners with drugs, minimum sentences for the Thai counterparts, and reduced sentences if you admit the crime after getting caught red handed. <deleted>?

Just thought of it, "heavy sentence" by Thai standards. That must be it. But at least they caught somebody. :)

Well gr8fldanielle,

I tend to agree with you, it is a light sentence, especially in regards to the 17 year old, who whilst I acknowledge is still a juvi, without doubt he's old enuf to know better.

Anyway, these little grubs completely destroyed more than one life on this occassion, they destroyed the victims golden years, his wifes, most likely serverely effected numerous other family members and now their own.

I hope their respective jail terms are very unpleasant. I can't say more or jack spratt will come in and harp on about the thai visa 'hang em high' club. :)

Lets hope they really are the killers and not just some easy catch to blame. I always have my doubt when I read these kind of things.

Just as I thought. That 'pleading guilty, getting half sentence' makes many innocent people giving a guilty plea because they are afraid to get full sentence. In my opinion 'pleading guilty and half sentence' just makes it easy people to prosecute without much investigating.

I don't think it's a heavy sentence at all. If a Thai that's caught with large amounts of money, drugs, guns, admits he's a big time dealer, and why have the guns? only gets 5 years and probably less with "confessing" more, where as these people acted in cold blooded murder, get their sentenced reduced by admitting the crime. The crime is the a crime, why is the sentence reduced for admitting it? I do understand that 17 year old boys are not consequence conscious and should have a rehab program, but to reduce sentences for cold blooded murder is stupid. Death sentences for foreigners with drugs, minimum sentences for the Thai counterparts, and reduced sentences if you admit the crime after getting caught red handed. <deleted>?

Just thought of it, "heavy sentence" by Thai standards. That must be it. But at least they caught somebody. :)

I agree that in the case with that guy who got 5 years, which I read a few weeks back here, is BS. There must be some $influental$ people behind him. But 25 years is a very strong sentence and it is maximum in many European countries. Before we start kicking those 3 boys/men into an abyssal sentence keep in mind: Terrorists in Germany (like Christian Klar, leader of RAF http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2008/dec/1...faction-germany ) 'only' sit 26 years and they killed a lot more people.

25 years in Thai prison is though as hel_l.

Doesn't 25 years in Thailand mean 25 years? In the Uk you get life you'll serve what 8 to 15 years?.

Horrible thing they did and in no way am I defending them but I would imagine they have been sentenced according to Thai Law.

Like all countrie the age of the culprits previous convictions etc all come into it.

If taking away 25 years of someones life at that age is light in comparison to what some of those with fancy lawyars would have recieved in Europe then I'm a Dutchman.

In the US they would probably be on Death Row

I know if it was my relation that they killed I would have wanted them shot/hung but if we all got our way criminals would end up being killed for stealing car radios.

This is Thailand and they have been sentenced by Thai Law so whether we agree with it or not is irrelevant.

I would say if this sentence is anything to go by Thai Law in theis case lies somewhere between UK and US law, like any of those 2 are perfect :) .

Being Burmese - they got a heavy sentence - but without condoning the action - whatever happened to death penalty? Does a long sentence mean there are doubts? If you get the death penalty for dealing drugs - why not for murder?

Thailand doesn't (officially) execute drug dealers - that's Singapore.

Whilst Thai law says they can execute drug dealers, this is only to scare the crap out of people. In reality Thailand executes only a handful of people each year and almost all are serious murderers (not sure what criteria they use - maybe this group almost qualified?).

Sorry, I don't have the source (too busy to google for it) but there is a list that can be found on the web showing how many people each country officially executed each year over the past 10 years or so. It breaks down the USA into states with Texas grabbing the lions share. I recall only China (as a whole) tops Texas but my memory is a little sketchy.

I agree this is a light sentance by Thai standards and would asume that as the victim was British that our representitives in Thailand asked that they be spared the death penalty as seems the norm in such cases.

If they were in the UK they would get life and after only a few years would be able to apply for parrol, most killers serve little more than 10 years in the UK.

Being Burmese - they got a heavy sentence - but without condoning the action - whatever happened to death penalty? Does a long sentence mean there are doubts? If you get the death penalty for dealing drugs - why not for murder?

Because the death penalty is usually not used anymore.

True, if we want to compare to the UK system the Lockerbie bomber killed 270 people and only served 8 and a half years of his sentence (14 days per victim). In the US it depends on which State the conviction is under. Texas, death penalty for 1st degree murder likely. California, no death penalty and possibility of parole likely. Of course there is quite a difference between a Thai prison and the prisons in the West.

No 25 years is not 25 years in Thailand. Model prisoners can earn time off their sentence by good behavior, then also on various occassions such as HM birthday reductions in sentances are given. It will be difficult for them being non Thai though. More than likely they will die long before the setance is finished.

For a while there were no reductions given to drug offenders, however the prisons are so full, these now also recieve the reductions.

It doesn't matter the length of the sentance it doesn't bring back the dead.

Well they were actually apprehended on the Yacht in question, with the murdered mans wife still tied up on the yacht.

I would say it sounds fairly compelling to me. At least they are off the streets and cannot harm anyone else for the time being.

I hope this helps the victims wife and family obtain some closure on this aweful incident.

I Hope so too, however there seems to be many conflicting stories, the BBC report said that they tried to escape in the yacht's dinghy which broke down, leaving the woman on the yacht, on seeing them trying to swim back to her yacht she then started the engine leaving them adrift with the dinghy, they then swam ashore.

I'm not condoning their actions either, but it's worth remembering where they came from. As I recall they were running away from horrendous conditions and were on the point of starvation when they got to the boat. They weren't just bad people out for what they could get.

They should be given a warm shower, nice hot meal, freshly laundered clothes, and movie of their choice before being bound at the feet, sprayed with acid, gutted from head to toe, and tossed in the sea for fish food. IMHO
:)
I'm not condoning their actions either, but it's worth remembering where they came from. As I recall they were running away from horrendous conditions and were on the point of starvation when they got to the boat. They weren't just bad people out for what they could get.

Why is that worth remembering? What they did was unforgivable whatever the situation they was in.

Doesn't 25 years in Thailand mean 25 years? In the Uk you get life you'll serve what 8 to 15 years?.

I think it was like that and I should know :D:)

Provided they behave good in jail they'll get with every amnesty a few years off their sentence.

After 1 year 20%, after 2 years 25%, after 4 years 33% and after 8 years 50% and that's it.

Regardless you be a foreigner or not they also profit from an amnesty. In most amnesty regulations

in Thailand drug offenders are excluded from getting this benefit...

At least that was the system around the turn of the millennium.

Oh, and they go to Bangkwan since their sentence is higher than 25 years.

It baffles me too how an individual that gets caught with a few joints can get a life sentence and one that commits murder can get off with just 25 years... the system here is a joke. Rape or muder and you get a slap on the wrist or maybe a few years in jail, but drugs your locked up for the better part of your life if not till you die.

There is no Thai standard. It depends on your status and the size of your purse. But, I think the question that should be asked is, why were these young Burmese left marooned on a island without food? Thai fisherman are norturous for the ill-treatment of there enslaved Burmese boat boys. They were probably left there after escaping this cruel situation of being a slave on a Thai fishing boat. I think is time to deal with original sin and severely punish those who cared nothing for these boys who, through no sin of their own, were left to such a cruel fate.

...............- maybe this group almost qualified?).......................

Err, possibly.

Murder is heinous and the punishment should always (but rarely seems to) reflect Society's revulsion at these crimes and our refusal to allow repetition, wherever/whenever possible............

Yes/ No (Delete as applicable)

Resolute regards,

Brewsta

They should have gotten the death penalty. Those who commit premeditated cold blood murder deserve nothing less.