I've Learnt The Wrong Language!

simon43

Having spent the last year learning to read/write/speak Thai, I'm very happy with my progress and can now read children's stories for age-group of about 11 years old. :D I'm sure that the intensive 1-to-1 tuition helped me to read/write...

However, whenever I visit my wife's family in Issan, I have a big problem! Although I'm assured by her that all her family speak both Issan and Thai, it seems to be a hard task to get them to speak Thai when I'm with them. My wife has explained to them that I can only understand very little Issan, but that I can understand Thai fine, (if they speak clearly and don't drink too much lao!).

I'm sure that they are happier to converse in Issan, so this makes my knowledge of Thai rather redundant when I'm visiting the family :o

So I need to learn to speak Issan. I understand from previous posts about the tonal variances etc. Having looked at written Lao, it does seem to be that if I learn to read/write/speak Lao, (using my Thai knowledge as support), then this should be a good solution. (Her family moved from Nong Khae only a few years ago, and speak Issan as per the people of Vientiane). Whilst learning to write/read Lao is not really necessary, it looks to be an easy step since I've achieved that goal with the Thai language.

So, a 1-to-1 Issan teacher would be great, but do they exist in BKK? (I don't want my wife to try to teach me; it's like learning to drive a car - the worst teacher is your partner!)

Any help/advice much appreciated

Simon

Surely with the amount of Issarn people working in Thailand you could call around the Thai teaching schools in Bangkok and find an Issan born teacher who can coach you in the dialect.  :o

Yes, but I want to learn to read/write Lao, and not just learn spoken Issan. I think most people from Issan will only speak the language, and not have a decent teaching knowledge of written Lao

Surely with the amount of Issarn people working in Thailand you could call around the Thai teaching schools in Bangkok and find an Issan born teacher who can coach you in the dialect.  :o

Yes, but I want to learn to read/write Lao, and not just learn spoken Issan. I think most people from Issan will only speak the language, and not have a decent teaching knowledge of written Lao

I think if you find a well educated Issan teacher in Bangkok they will both be able to teach you to speak and read/write the language as well. Again, you should just call around and ask, I think your'll get a good result that way.

Why do you want to write Lao? It has a few symbols not available in the Thai script, and when Isaan is written in Thai, it is written in accordance with the principles of Thai orthography. (I don't know whether the tone is handled on broadly historical principles, or mangled to use the Bangkok tone values. From what I've seen on www.learningthai.com - Northeastern Dialect, I suspect the latter.)

I think if you find a well educated Issan teacher in Bangkok they will both be able to teach you to speak and read/write the language as well.

Why would they know Lao? Even if so, reformed, or unreformed? The only significant text I'm aware of in the Isaan dialect is the bible! I'm not sure how much of a work in progress this is. From what I remember of the blurb, it wasn't certain at the outset what orthography they should use.

Incidentally, you might be wise to check that you learn the right Isaan dialect!

Her family moved from Nong Khae only a few years ago, and speak Issan as per the people of Vientiane

I think there can be quite a big difference between the Lao language of Vientiane and the Lao of Isaan. I'm not sure of the details, but I went to Vientiane with a friend who was born and grew up in Udon Thani (not far from Nong Khai as you know). Although she could follow the gist of conversations she often had difficulties understanding exactly what was being said, and said it was quite distinct from the dialect she was used to. Perhaps the dialect in Nong Khai is different again from that of Udon Thani, I don't know. But as Richard W said, I'd be careful you learn the right dialect.

Sabaaijai is the right person to advise you here Simon, but here are my two cents:

You will achieve greater understanding of your wife's relatives by learning "standard" Lao, no doubt. But only to a certain extent. The best way to learn to understand them is to live with them - even though they no doubt speak a dialect, they are also bound to have their own "group/family" lingo, which you will tune into if you give it enough time.

Why not have your girlfriend explain to you as a start? She is bound to be able to explain the Laoisms into Thai, albeit not into English, because she grew up with these people.

That is my approach when it comes to learning Northern Thai anyway. It works ok so far but is slower than the formal education I received in Central Thai, of course.

Hi Meadish-Sweetball, thanks for your advice. Living with the Issan family is not practical (due to my work etc), but we visit often. I can understand a little of their Issan, and can speak even less! If they speak Thai to me then I have no problems....

I'm certainly aware of the various tonal differences etc between Lao, Issan and different geographical region, and I may have to settle for a 'generic' Lao, which seems to be Vientiane Lao. I'm not looking for fluency in spoken Issan, just a better understanding!

As to my interest in learning to read/write Lao, this is more a linguistic interest, rather than a practical need :o

• 3 weeks later...

The Lao spoken by Isaan people is written using the Thai script, when my wife and I went to Vientianne she found it hard to read signs, menus etc... :o . She also had some minor difficulties actually speaking with the locals, although very minor...

totster :D

The Lao spoken by Isaan people is written using the Thai script, when my wife and I went to Vientianne she found it hard to read signs, menus etc...  :o .  She also had some minor difficulties actually speaking with the locals, although very minor...

totster  :D

Mostly Isaan-thai people learning thai script. Laos script looks similar like thai but not thai and it is difficult to understand only to guess the meaning if you can read some similar word like our language. I can also only guess some words. It's better you learn thai and speak some Laos dialect. Or if you will live in Loas that is another story.