50 Years Ago Yesterday

Mossfinn

If his fabled philosophy stemmed from his humble background, so did his rapport with the Kop. "When we came home with the FA Cup in '74 Shanks made a speech to 100,000 people outside St George's Hall," says Callaghan. "He was going on about Chairman Mao. It sounds weird but people hung on his every word."

Shankly then retired, leaving Lawler baffled. "He'd rebuilt another team, with Kevin Keegan, Ray Clemence and so on. He was just tired. Later, he regretted it bitterly."

A great article from the Independent.

Link

Edited by Mossfinn

Messiah's memorable quotes

* I want to build a team that's invincible so they'll have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us.

* They say we're predictable. Well, Joe Louis was predictable. He'd knock his man down to the floor. Goodbye!

* Of course I didn't take Ness to watch Tranmere as a present for our wedding anniversary. It was her birthday. Would I have got married during the football season? And anyway it wasn't Tranmere, it was Tranmere reserves.

* There are two great teams on Merseyside. Liverpool and Liverpool reserves.

* If you've got three Scots in your team, you've got a chance of winning something. Any more and you've got trouble.

* Tommy Smith wasn't born. He was quarried.

* My scout told me the (trialist) had football in his blood. I said aye, but it hasn't reached his legs yet.

* Forget the Beatles and the other groups. The Kop is the real Liverpool sound. That's real singing.

* Brian Clough is worse than rain in Manchester. At least God stops that occasionally.

* I was the best manager in the game and should've won more. I didn't do anything devious. I'd fight you, and break my wife's leg if I played against her, but I wouldn't cheat her.

* Retirement is like having a coat in a wardrobe for years, which you decide you don't want and give to a friend. When he's worn it for a week you want it back.

Moss what about " people say football is a matter of life and death, their wrong its more important that that".

Another story that sticks in my mind is when John Toshack signed from Cardiff City Shanks went down to Lime St to meet him off the train. Tosh's wife was wearing a smart blue outfit. Shanks took one look and said "never mind dear we can always change it". :)