Advice For A Potential International Student In Thailand

shikonjewel

Hello everyone,

I've been considering studying as an international student and applying for the Thai studies certificate program @ Thammasat University (Pridi Banomyang international college) in 2011. I'm graduating in 2010 with a B.Arts degree in History/Political Science here in Canada.

I was interested in taking the course particularly to help me learn the Thai language to communicate with my bf's family, as well as get the experience of international study that I've always wanted. Also I wanted to take a year or two to figure out what I might like to do with my life (go to get a masters degree, or try and begin a career :S). I'm very interested in international relations and South-east Asia in general and so I feel that the experience might be a good stepping stone to consider for other things later, while also enjoying my bf's culture and getting better acquainted. I'm sure the certificate might not be the most influential credential, but I value education and experience and don't see how it could hurt on my resume; anywho...

I'm just wondering if anyone has had any experience with the program or attended have Thammasat, or are even staff there and wouldn't mind giving me some insights into the school/what I might expect from the program and study in Bangkok that isn't in the program guide.

Thanks for your time,

~Jewel

Edited by shikonjewel

The school you have chosen is a good one. We have former students who are studying political science there (undergraduate). They seem to be quite pleased with their teachers and the courses in general. I know one foreigner who got his Masters there (different field) and he spoke very highly of the school. I am not quite sure what the 'Thai Studies certificate' is however.

Hopefully, a few others will have more specific information.

My advice is go for it.

The school you have chosen is a good one. We have former students who are studying political science there (undergraduate). They seem to be quite pleased with their teachers and the courses in general. I know one foreigner who got his Masters there (different field) and he spoke very highly of the school. I am not quite sure what the 'Thai Studies certificate' is however.

Hopefully, a few others will have more specific information.

My advice is go for it.

In terms of quality I can assure you Thammasat is a good university. Just one measure is that the university in general has quite a stream of international students, all generated from swap/exchange agreements with many prestigious universities across the world. These universities would not continue these exchange agreements if they were not convinced of the quality. I have one in my class at the moment, a young lady from a Scandinavian country, and I recently did some lecturers in a masters program with exchange students from Italy, Spain, France and the UK.

As already suggested, I encourage you to get a lot more information about the content of the program your considering.

Just one other point. The amount of English spoken by administrators is a bit patchy. If you encounter an administrator who's English is not so good, then don't hesitate to try another way to make further contact, even ask to speak to a lecturer.

You don't mention how much time you have already spent in Thailand. If you haven't spent a lot of time here, then the immersion in daily life during your study period will give you a lot of very valuable (critical) insights into the Thai culture, Thai relationships, Thai behaviors, Thai daily life, etc., and I suggest this would be just as valuable as your actual formal studies of the culture.

I strongly support your aim to improve your Thai language skills. If you are going to immerse yourself into a Thai family then you absolutely must speak the language.

Not understanding what people are talking about is fine on a short-term basis but it's not OK longer-term, it's too emotionally draining, and it means there are continuous misunderstandings which is disastrous for good relationships.

If you have finished your undergrad, why not think about following your interest in IR, and enroll in the MIR program at Thammasat instead? You'll learn about Thai culture and language by being here, so your money would be better spent on something you can use back in Canada.

Graduate degrees are usually a stepping stone towards doctoral study, and Thammasat has the best political science faculty in S.E.A. so you could use it to prepare for a doctorate in Canada. I don't know what part of Canada you're from, but Thammasat would be on par with Brock, Carleton, and Ryerson. It's not in league with Simon Fraser, Western, or Dalhousie, but is still respectable. If you focus on ASEAN or some other issue relating to S.E.A. in your thesis, it will be fully accepted by any western university because it gives you the perfect reason for studying out of country.

It will be cheaper than studying in Canada as well. The tuition fees (all in, including books) for the whole two year program is estimated at 380,000 Baht, or $11,988CAN. Try to get a Master's for that in Canada!

That being said, I've heard many good things about the Thai Studies Program, so I'm sure you would enjoy that as well. Good luck, and let us know how it goes!