Visa Rules For A Foreign Woman Married To Thai Man**

Hi there~ I have had a very difficult time finding information on the visa rules for a Foreign woman married to a Thai man. The information varies greatly over the years from posters saying you get automatic Permanent Residency (which seems too good to be true) to you have to show the 400,000 in the bank for the non-immigrant O to many sites that claim the government is far more lenient and it's easier for a woman married to a Thai man.. So to the folks at Thai Visa I pose this question.... What are the actual laws and how do they differ from when a Foreign man marries a Thai woman. Any information will be much appreciated!

You should apply for a non-immigrant visa type “O” (non-O visa for short on this forum) for the purpose of visiting your Thai husband. Different consulates apply different requirements and you should call the consulate of your choice to ask what they want. The official requirements are here on the website of the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs:

http://www.mfa.go.th/web/2482.php?id=2489

Once you are in Thailand you can apply for annual extensions of the stay for the reason of living with your Thai husband. For this, you go to the local immigration office with your husband. Rule 2.18(1)-(3) of Police Order 777/2551 applies:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/post-a70477-...ember-2008.html

You husband may prefer to read the original Thai text:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/post-a70478-...7-2551.pdf.html

--

Maestro

Thank you Maestro.... I read through it all and still found nothing that was specifically for " Foreign women married to Thai man" It appears through all the web research I have done that women married to Thai men have an easier time and are not required to show the financial requirements in the same way as a Foreign man married to a Thai woman. When I'm reading over everything I don't see that they are separated. Can you clarify this. The laws are exactly the same for Men as for Women with the Non immigrant O applications and requirements?

This is all I found~

In other necessary circumstances, The Immigration

Commissioner or Deputy of Immigration Commissioner may

approve on case to case basis.

(6) In case of marriage with a Thai lady, the husband who is an

alien must have an average annual income of not less than

40,000 baht per month or a money deposit in a local Thai bank

of not less than 400,000 baht for the past 2 months for expenses

within a year.

It cleary states "Husband" nowhere do I find anything about being the "wife" of a Thai man.

Thanks again for your help!

• Like 1

The extension rules are gender-neutral, except where specifically mentioned otherwise. You are a foreign spouse of a Thai national, Police Order 777/2551, rule 2.18(3) “in the case of a spouse”. The additional clause (6) applies only if the spouse is the husband of a Thai national, ie it does not apply to the wife of a Thai national.

The requirements for the non-O visa are also gender-neutral. Basically, it is for the purpose of visiting family but if you want to be specific you can say that it is to visit your husband.

--

Maestro

(6) In case of marriage with a Thai lady,

That is the key difference - the 400k requirement does not apply to you. So yes it is easier. PR is not automatic but the path can be shorter - although paperwork will still be required and how easy this is will vary from area to area (if they know what the rules are).

Would urge you to read/post in the ladies forum as expect some have experience but will not see your posting here.

(6) In case of marriage with a Thai lady,

That is the key difference - the 400k requirement does not apply to you. So yes it is easier. PR is not automatic but the path can be shorter - although paperwork will still be required and how easy this is will vary from area to area (if they know what the rules are).

Would urge you to read/post in the ladies forum as expect some have experience but will not see your posting here.

Correct as ever Lop. :)

Very correct, to extend my wifes visa we do not have to submit any financial evidence.

Unsure about PR (as to how 'shorter' the path really is) but where being married to a Thai man does help is that after 2 year of marriage (or 1 year if you have kids) you can apply for Thai citizenship without having to go and get PR first.

That you can apply is one thing, but they sure do take their time in approving the applications...and you can expect many years of waiting.

One year extensions for a foreign woman married to a Thai man:

two copies of everything (at least in Samui)

His ID card,

his tabien ban,

Your passport, all pages with Thai stamps and ID page. Departure card

marriage license, if in thai that is all you need, if not then you will need a certified translation

and a letter from your puyaiban stating that he knows you, states where you live, and that you live together as a couple.

personal income tax receipt from your husband. (my immigration office has always required that he pay personal income tax each year, not sure about others).

Once at the office, you and your husband (he must go as he is applying for your permission to stay) will be interviewed by the immigration officer.

If you are in Samui, Phangan or Tao then Khun Nok is the man to talk to at the Samui Immigration office. He is the one who processes all extensions there and is the only one in the office who fully understands the requirements for foreign women with Thai husbands.

Very correct, to extend my wifes visa we do not have to submit any financial evidence.

Unsure about PR (as to how 'shorter' the path really is) but where being married to a Thai man does help is that after 2 year of marriage (or 1 year if you have kids) you can apply for Thai citizenship without having to go and get PR first.

That you can apply is one thing, but they sure do take their time in approving the applications...and you can expect many years of waiting.

Yes - believe it is the citizenship that normally becomes easier for a woman as PR is not required. But last few years have not been normal times in that department.

Thank you gentlemen :) It certainly is nice to see some of the most respected names popping up to answer my question so clearly on Thaivisa ~ thank you for that** I wanted to take your advice and post this on the womens forum as well but couldn't find a link to it in the side toolbar under "forums" where am I missing this? Many blessing & thanks again!