Ubc Gold Suddenly Showing All Platinum Channels

PNGinBKK

And no Champions League anymore on ESPN Star in Thailand. That was a sly trick. UBC wanted to dump espn a year or so ago but they backed down because of a lot of complaints. Now they're chipping away at it. What will be next? Formula 1 or MotoGP? UBC are a slimy outfit.

It's not UBC anymore. At least UBC was occasionally responsive to viewer sentiment, but it was taken over by True in early 2007.

Now it's TrueVisions alias Charoen Pokphand --- the chicken people, busily cashing in on their new monopoly.

I think I was far better off with UBC. :)

UBC launched BBC Entertainment (formerly BBC Prime) here. TrueVisions dumped it and replaced it with the dreadful AXN Beyond, possibly because it was cheaper. They totally ignored protests from subscribers, many of whom were willing to pay for BBC Entertainment separately as an a la carte item, like NHK.

There also appears to have been some alarming dumbing down of the other channels as well.

Edited by Camelot

^they usually have the Six Nations on in Febuary.

And you can get The Wallabies games on Australian Network.

And the France games on TV5.

Edit: oh, and the World Cup is usually on too.

are you sure about that?

perhaps the french and aussie channels, but coverage is patchy at best.

I remember them once covering the super 14 games but dropped them,best club rugby imo

the sports on true seems to be repeated to death

for the best rugby coverage Supersport is the best bar none

And no Champions League anymore on ESPN Star in Thailand. That was a sly trick. UBC wanted to dump espn a year or so ago but they backed down because of a lot of complaints. Now they're chipping away at it. What will be next? Formula 1 or MotoGP? UBC are a slimy outfit.

They stopped showing it 'cos Liverpool are not in it anymore.

They'll be showing the Europa League from now on.

Edit:ESPN have got the rights to the FA Cup this year so let's hope some games get shown this time.

Edited by PattayaParent

I was getting True analogue service delivered via cable. Last month my landlady told me True was closing the analogue service at the end of November so my box was changed to digital. Since then it's like watching a VCD due to over-compression of the signal. Sure, there are extra channels but they are all garbage talk shows in Thai. My gf gets True digital service via satellite and doesn't have the picture pixellation but the signal drops whenever there is a storm outside.

"I wish I could watch some ice hockey."

No coverage at all at any ice hockey world cup so far. It's a hot country and I guess that 90% of the locals do not know ice hockey or most winter sports. But at least some highlights of the coming Winter Olympics would be nice to watch.

The opposite has happened to me and I haven't bothered to fix it yet. I was only interested in the gold package to watch some American sports but they show almost none.

American Football seems to be on ASN 24 hours a day!!

(Well everytime I'm flicking through the channels it appears, saw some of a Green Bay vs. Ravens(?) game the other night)

Edited by PattayaParent

The increase in stations is happening up north. I am near Udorn and we are getting the additional channels added to our Golf package.

gpdjohn, I saw two hockey games on last night on ASN. I'm not a hockey fan 'cause one cannot see the puck on TV so I couldn't even tell you who was playing.

frankly, the sooner another true competitor starts up the better

I couldn't agree with you more. Truevisions is such a poor service. If only we had more than one option like in the UK, id change in flash!!

Actually what I wish they would do is, allow you to pick and chose components much like sky do in the UK.

The increase in stations is happening up north. I am near Udorn and we are getting the additional channels added to our Golf package.

gpdjohn, I saw two hockey games on last night on ASN. I'm not a hockey fan 'cause one cannot see the puck on TV so I couldn't even tell you who was playing.

ASN were advertising Ice Hockey for every day during the intervals of the 49ers-Cardinals game last night.

Also ESPN show baseball every week.

The banner was appearing every 20 minutes or so on HBO, Cinemax and Star Movies... in Thai followed by English.

Sorry... I didn't take note of the number.

It'll probably run again tonight during peak viewing hours... 18:00 - 23:00 hrs.

ASN were advertising Ice Hockey for every day during the intervals of the 49ers-Cardinals game last night.

Also ESPN show baseball every week.

I noticed that TSP 1 (True Visions Gold Package) had a one hour summary highlights of the weekend's NFL games this Tuesday pm. May be a regular thing. I recognise that this is not enough for the true US-based officionado, who can stomach at least two four hour sessions (mostly commercial breaks) every week. Still, who am I to cast stones - I can stomach four or five 2 hour Premier League football games a week.