What's The Best Way To Tackle Bungsamran

DavidAttenborough

I'm looking to do some fishing at Bungsamran early next year. I'm based in Chiang Mai and ideally what I'd like to do is take a morning flight down to BKK with a few belongings, taxi straight to the lake, get set up in a bungalow and stay for a couple of days, and then go back to the airport and fly to CM, without having to stay in a hotel in Bangkok.

I'm sure one of the tour companies could easily organise this for me, and i'm not totally against the idea, but i'd rather do it myself purely to save on costs, perhaps organising a local guide once there just to make sure I actually catch something.

Has anyone got any experience with this place? Any recommendations? Can you even stay overnight in the bungalows?

I've been looking online and the prices are varying from 2500 (gear hire, guide and bungalow) per day to 7000 baht per day and beyond with some of the tour companies.

Thanks in advance :)

I live near the place and have fished it in the past. You will have no problems catching fish there.

They have a resturant thats good to go as well as a small mini mart for things and a large tackle shop.

Friendly staff thus far but the cost are a little high, but just to get away and forget about everything but fishing it is nice.

I believe the bungalos rent for 12 hour periods at least last year I rented for 12 hours. Pretty neat as some staff ride around on bicycles so you can order fom them and they deliver to the bungalo.

PM me and give me what you want and I will try and set it up for you. No I am not part of any travel compnay just a retired ol U.S. Marine willing to help out someone.

I dont know if my number will post here but if so:

email (please use the PM or email function. Thanks.)

Cheers

Dan

I think you could "go it alone" if you have fished Borsang in CM. Very similar methods but at Berngsamran I used a grapefruit sized ball of rice bran under a float rather than bread crusts. Having said that I hired a guide and think it was worth it.

I haven't fished anywhere in CM yet - only arrived a few weeks ago. I'm only really looking to catch a giant Siamese carp, hopefully larger than the carp record in the UK which is about 60lbs. If I can do that in CM then I've no need to go to Bungsamran. But from this website:

http: //biggame-fishingthailand.com/Links/borsang_lake.htm

It doesn't look like they have any monster carp, just catfish. And this place, Dream Lake:

http: //www.megafishingthailand.com/content/view/95/54/

Claims to have Giant Siamese Carp, but if the pictures posted there are the best they could find, it's not worth it for the price. I'm finding it amazing how expensive it is to fish these lakes. Maybe someone in CM knows of a place you can go and pull in a few average fish for a reasonable price?

I live near the place and have fished it in the past. You will have no problems catching fish there.

They have a resturant thats good to go as well as a small mini mart for things and a large tackle shop.

Friendly staff thus far but the cost are a little high, but just to get away and forget about everything but fishing it is nice.

I believe the bungalos rent for 12 hour periods at least last year I rented for 12 hours. Pretty neat as some staff ride around on bicycles so you can order fom them and they deliver to the bungalo.

PM me and give me what you want and I will try and set it up for you. No I am not part of any travel compnay just a retired ol U.S. Marine willing to help out someone.

I dont know if my number will post here but if so:

email (please use the PM or email function. Thanks.)

Cheers

Dan

Thanks for the offer Dan. If I don't get any solid info I'll call on you. Cheers. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sure one of the Expats on here would 'hook up' with you for at least one day

and show you the ropes. After that you'll be fine to go it alone.

I wouldn't use a tour company or you'll get screwed on costs. They have to make

money and you'll be the one to foot their unnecessary bill.

If you go yourself it'll be 1000 baht to fish, 500 baht for rod hire and around 500 baht

for all the bait you'll need. I've never used a guide or stayed in a bungalow so I don't

know about that bit.

If you are going to be fishing alot and staying here I'd say it's cheaper to buy a fishing

rod. I got a very strong rod for 1500 baht (same as 3 days rent). A good reel will probably

be 4,500+ baht but well worth it. Go for something like an abu 7000 (if using a multiplier)

or a daiwa/shimano baitrunner. I have daiwa baitrunners that put out 30lbs of drag

and some multiplers. I always favour the multiplers but each to their own.

-Jack

• 1 month later...

Just got back from BKK - had a day at bungsamran with my son and a pal. We hired a guide and two rods this with a hut and 3 buckets of bait cost about 6000 bht (included food and a few beers). The gear is very ordinary - had to change the rods twice as the reels were rubish. Also the rods are not up to getting that last 10 meters that gets you really amongst the fish. It was OK and we got some 20 - 30K mekong cats but we were blown away by the guys next to us who were outcasting us with a better level of guide and gear (tour guide). Basically if you have your own gear and particularly if you live in BKK I would go it alone. If you only have one day to spare and this is a chance in a lifetime then I would pay the extra 10 000BHT and really get into the fish with a top guide. You may not get back there again!

Well if u are really looking into doing guided fishing with a cheaper guide do drop me a PM as I can set u up with a guide that provides 2 setup that is included with transportation and guide plus tackle.

I may well take you up on that. In my case I am OK getting there and back and know hiw to fish the place but having the gear set up up and of good quality makes a lot of difference. Also - like everyone else the 2 pricing system is a bit annoying. But that is the way it is. I must say that I never had a problem with the staff or locals giving us a hard time - this may be because I speak to them in Thai (not that I am fluent but I can conduct a low level conversation).

This is one I got on my last visit.

post-61254-1265516296_thumb.jpg

woah thats great. I've attached my pictures of the last trip with one of my friends. Hope to hear from you soon. By the way you might also want to consider going Barra fishing. Had great fun fishing them the last few trips i was there. Loaded some videos into youtube do have a look at them at the link below.

Popper Frenzy 1

Baitless Fishing

post-98860-1265630318_thumb.jpg

post-98860-1265630371_thumb.jpg

The best way to fish the lake is to avoid the commercial companies. They charge the earth and provide poor service and time. All they do is take your money, provide a local guide...who is usually very good, and sit back and let the local do all the work. Not bad work if you can get it me feel!

The best way to fish to hire a guide DIRECTLY from the lake. Mr Boonsong is best - He speaks fair English and works so hard.

Avoid the chalets. Yes you can hire for 12 hours at a time but expensive. Ask Mr Boonsang to take you to the public areas where the big carp are. Along the public grantry i think 3rd position down.

The guide will bottom fish. Best rod about 7 foot uptider. Seems small but when the fish try to get under the boardwalk the pressure to pull them out is there in plenty. A bigger 10 foot rod lacks power. Use a big bait runner loaded with 30 - 35 lb line. The shop sells all the gear but better to buy in BKK.

There is a man called JEEP, nickname Mr Longhairman. He has top class gear from BKK. Try and see his and copy. Great angler.

Botton fishing wil produce the biggun's close in. No more than say 10 feet from the fishing position. Let the guide do the work. 1000 baht and well worth it. Surface fishing by cashing out at say 50 yards at 5-8 foot sliding floats get a bite a chuck for Meakonk Cats 10-15 kilos. Botton fishing gets the big boys 40 kgs plus.

Email me anytime and maybe we can share the guide one weekend? Also exchange photos of my cats 40kgs plus.

Regards - John

Edited by cdnvic
removed phone number

Many years ago, after a few outings to other fishing parks where anglers at either side of me were catching all day and I was getting little or nothing, usually nothing, I started just watching. Walking around the ponds and chatting to the locals, particularly those who were regulars and catching the most, I learned quite a bit. Like throw out most of what works in the UK. So I would say, if you have the time, the first time you visit the park you intend to fish, don't fish. Have a good look around and speak to people. Then for the second visit bring your tackle. You may not be as successful as the locals but what you have learned from your first visit will put you on the way to decent catches in the future without the need of a guide.

• 1 month later...
I haven't fished anywhere in CM yet - only arrived a few weeks ago. I'm only really looking to catch a giant Siamese carp, hopefully larger than the carp record in the UK which is about 60lbs. If I can do that in CM then I've no need to go to Bungsamran. But from this website:

It doesn't look like they have any monster carp, just catfish. And this place, Dream Lake:

Claims to have Giant Siamese Carp, but if the pictures posted there are the best they could find, it's not worth it for the price. I'm finding it amazing how expensive it is to fish these lakes. Maybe someone in CM knows of a place you can go and pull in a few average fish for a reasonable price?

Hi,

Its a common misconception that fishing in Thailand is cheap. It likely comes from the fact that a farang goes fishing to a local Thai Fishing Park with his Tilak catches the biggest fish he ever caught in his life and then gets charged 100BHT for his day ticket! Whoopeee!

Its true there are hundreds of fishing parks offering stripped catfish and mekong catfish up to say a 100lb or so at a 100BHT or so, and many of these also have small carp (small in Thailand could be up to 40lb). But the point lost on most local farang anglers is that these are small fish by Thai standards, and like any commercial business you mostly get what you pay for, so the best Thai fishing venues can charge thousands of baht a day, as they may hold fish wieghing anything up to 400lb (or possible even more in some case). But again the quality of a fishery can't be based on one or two fish, it is the head of fish that counts, which is why say for example a fishery like Bungsamran demands a 1000BHT a rod, becuase it has an enormous head of fish, many of which wiegh 100lb or more (thousands this size).

I think it is also for this reason that fishing tour companies get a dealt a pretty harsh judgement by some local anglers on these forums at times too, they do not appreciate the fact that there are many visitors to Thailand who want to experience the best of the Thai fishing scene, but they may only have a limited time to do that (ie a two week holiday), and limtied resources to get the job done. Fishing tours make sure that this group of people generally end up going home with a much better catch than most anglers on these forums have ever caught despite the fact they have fished over here for years. The reaosn is we have already done all the hard work about knowing what fish are swimming where and what fishery will most likely give an angler the fish they are looking for, and this can often change from season to season. The fishing scene in Thailand can only get better and better as time goes by becuase nearly all the species can reach massive wieghts if nurtured the right way.

Edited by rufanuf

The best way to fish the lake is to avoid the commercial companies. They charge the earth and provide poor service and time. All they do is take your money, provide a local guide...who is usually very good, and sit back and let the local do all the work. Not bad work if you can get it me feel!

The best way to fish to hire a guide DIRECTLY from the lake. Mr Boonsong is best - He speaks fair English and works so hard.

Avoid the chalets. Yes you can hire for 12 hours at a time but expensive. Ask Mr Boonsang to take you to the public areas where the big carp are. Along the public grantry i think 3rd position down.

The guide will bottom fish. Best rod about 7 foot uptider. Seems small but when the fish try to get under the boardwalk the pressure to pull them out is there in plenty. A bigger 10 foot rod lacks power. Use a big bait runner loaded with 30 - 35 lb line. The shop sells all the gear but better to buy in BKK.

There is a man called JEEP, nickname Mr Longhairman. He has top class gear from BKK. Try and see his and copy. Great angler.

Botton fishing wil produce the biggun's close in. No more than say 10 feet from the fishing position. Let the guide do the work. 1000 baht and well worth it. Surface fishing by cashing out at say 50 yards at 5-8 foot sliding floats get a bite a chuck for Meakonk Cats 10-15 kilos. Botton fishing gets the big boys 40 kgs plus.

Email me anytime and maybe we can share the guide one weekend? Also exchange photos of my cats 40kgs plus.

Regards - John

John,

Most expat anglers wont use commercial companies that goes without saying, but I dont think that is the same as saying a tourist should go it alone, especially

if they really want results and have a short space of time to achieve them in.

Edited by rufanuf

• 1 month later...
woah thats great. I've attached my pictures of the last trip with one of my friends. Hope to hear from you soon. By the way you might also want to consider going Barra fishing. Had great fun fishing them the last few trips i was there. Loaded some videos into youtube do have a look at them at the link below.

Popper Frenzy 1

Baitless Fishing

Just catching up after being away. Looks really good. I have to say that the Barra seem to be a lot easier to land than those in Australia but they are certainly fun.

• 2 weeks later...

Regards - John

Was at the lake with my wife yesterday and fished with Mr Boonsang, and had a ball! Fish averaged 15-20 KG and had a hookups about every 15-20 minutes, but took a while for us to get fish in as well. I rented a Bungalow and used their rods and tackle, just buying bait. I showed them Thai drivers license and they s charged me same rate as wife,so with all inclusive, meals and all was right at 5000 Baht, and me and wife both are sore from catching cats! No we didn't hook any bigger ones, but with my artheritus and wife being small, glad we didn't as any bigger would be work and not fun!! Food was ordered and delivered to bugalo and fans and padded chairs, were a bonus as well as refrigerator and a little extra room to move about, and Mr Boonsung knew enough english for me to talk and was a lot of fun and did a great job, as we booked directly with the lake and not through a tour service save a bunch! Going back with inlaws and watch as they laughed at me in the videos struggling! We used 2 rods and kept plenty busy. We will return often, as soon as the soreness leaves back and arms!! Not used to this!!! PM me if you need any other info, or I can be of help!!!

• 5 weeks later...

Hi,

Its a common misconception that fishing in Thailand is cheap. It likely comes from the fact that a farang goes fishing to a local Thai Fishing Park with his Tilak catches the biggest fish he ever caught in his life and then gets charged 100BHT for his day ticket! Whoopeee!

Its true there are hundreds of fishing parks offering stripped catfish and mekong catfish up to say a 100lb or so at a 100BHT or so, and many of these also have small carp (small in Thailand could be up to 40lb). But the point lost on most local farang anglers is that these are small fish by Thai standards, and like any commercial business you mostly get what you pay for, so the best Thai fishing venues can charge thousands of baht a day, as they may hold fish wieghing anything up to 400lb (or possible even more in some case). But again the quality of a fishery can't be based on one or two fish, it is the head of fish that counts, which is why say for example a fishery like Bungsamran demands a 1000BHT a rod, becuase it has an enormous head of fish, many of which wiegh 100lb or more (thousands this size).

I think it is also for this reason that fishing tour companies get a dealt a pretty harsh judgement by some local anglers on these forums at times too, they do not appreciate the fact that there are many visitors to Thailand who want to experience the best of the Thai fishing scene, but they may only have a limited time to do that (ie a two week holiday), and limtied resources to get the job done. Fishing tours make sure that this group of people generally end up going home with a much better catch than most anglers on these forums have ever caught despite the fact they have fished over here for years. The reaosn is we have already done all the hard work about knowing what fish are swimming where and what fishery will most likely give an angler the fish they are looking for, and this can often change from season to season. The fishing scene in Thailand can only get better and better as time goes by becuase nearly all the species can reach massive wieghts if nurtured the right way.

Not exactly true, There are fishing parks in bkk which only charge 150-350 baht per day and have very large plah buek and asian carp with catches upto 10-15 per day possible all between 15-30kg,

Been to bungsamran but find it very over priced and a place to be avoided apart from when family or friends visit, Double pricing (thai 400bht-farang 1000bht) this a reason this place would ruin my day regardless of the fact i have a thai driving licence.

Edited by tingtongfarang

Hi,

Not exactly true, There are fishing parks in bkk which only charge 150-350 baht per day and have very large plah buek and asian carp with catches upto 10-15 per day possible all between 15-30kg,

Been to bungsamran but find it very over priced and a place to be avoided apart from when family or friends visit, Double pricing (thai 400bht-farang 1000bht) this a reason this place would ruin my day regardless of the fact i have a thai driving licence.

Think sakuna and ngau nam both much cheaper as Bungsamran but you have to work a bit more to catch the big ones. It takes a bit more skill and luck there.

I fished Bungsamran on many occasions whenever I came on holiday to LOS,that was before they built the new huts and the costs where cheaper than a night at a 5 star hotel.Although I hired the rod and reel with the <deleted> line they provided .I never used the services of a guide.I just asked the locals what bait and terminal tackle worked best.It's not rocket science using a method feeder under a sliding float.Now has an expat I get has much enjoyment fishing many of the other venues that cost between 100-150 baht.Fly fishing for Barramundi usually costs a little more,The only negativity is that I've yet to find somewhere I can target my favourate species,Carp.

I caught sizeable carp at bungsamran and at ngau nam. The latter is cheaper and more relaxed to fish. However chances are you cath pla sawai or pla bug before you catch a carp its hard to target them specifically.

Yesterday i was fishing with a shimano hyperloop 2.75lbs carp rod and a 30lbs line for pla saway at ngau nam. But it was a big 50-60 kg pla bug that took the bait. It took forever to get in but was great fun on the rod.

Also the first fish i caught on my first ever visit to gnau nam was a large carp,

I,ve fished there maybe 30 times but only 2 times ever caught carp...they are there but illusive, A friend i once took along also his first catch was a carp but i would,nt know how to target carp there,

Robblok is maybe the most experience guy i know for gnau nam (seems to use a rack of rods)and at times that can get hectic even if it is a relaxed venue,

Another friend started catching very large plah buek one after the other....after 4 hours and 8-9 monsters he refused to cast in again saying too much action and went to sleep in his hammock...just luck is my guess...he really sucks at casting and makes a birds nest almost every cast.

I,m intending to fish shadow lake in the near future,primerly targeting the carp.Would the carp tactics used back home in the UK work, ie hair rigs etc.Has anyone used a marker rod to locate underwater features such bars and drop offs.I,m sure this would help to

locate the carp patrole routes rather than the chuck and hope method.Any help would be appreciated.

Dont know about hair rigs and not sure if anyone has tried boilies..spelling? but the carp i and others caught were all on bread with various cocktails,

The only thing i can say about patrole routes is that one night i seen one of these floats with LED still on a broken line traveling constantly up and down the lake about 5 meters from the opposite bank, the fish was later caught still being attached to the line float and hook ..it was a large carp,

You have to be skilled at casting to reach that far across as shadow lake can only be fished from one bank, Long rods can be frustrating as with many venues here shelters,trees and jungle dont leave much space behind so choose your casting space with care, My favourite weapon is a one piece 6ft rod with a magged avet casting reel ...on a good day 1 cast out of 10 might get that distance,other days i just cant get that far,

What rod and reel are your using spud?

I bought the rod in LOS,it,s a 3m, I,m not sure about the test curve I,d say it was about 3-4lb .I,ve got big pit baitrunner reels that I brought over from the UK.I,ve just ordered some artificial bread from back home to use on a hair rig has I,ve never had confidence using bread

on the hook when casting hard.Should be interesting to see if it works.What's the distance to the far bank.

I bought the rod in LOS,it,s a 3m, I,m not sure about the test curve I,d say it was about 3-4lb .I,ve got big pit baitrunner reels that I brought over from the UK.I,ve just ordered some artificial bread from back home to use on a hair rig has I,ve never had confidence using bread

on the hook when casting hard.Should be interesting to see if it works.What's the distance to the far bank.

Distance to the far bank varies along the lake 65-70 meters and the length is 540 meters (just checked on google earth)never heard of artificial bread but can you use cocktails with it? There are so many different types of bread mixes and sticky buns used at this place ...even massaged bread like plastacine that would be difficult to loose on the cast,

Its my experience that the catch rates are higher at night than day but its a scenic and relaxing place to be at anytime,

On a side note there have been a few days when we had high catch rates and have seen comercial farang guides with customers who zero out...not happy bunnies.

Edited by tingtongfarang

I once seen a video of a french guy who has the theory that nothing is needed on the hook other than a small polystyrene ball, The idea being that these fish swim around like vacuume cleaners sucking in the bait which is floating off the feeder and will anyway have more chance of sucking in the ball with hook in as it floats off the bottom,

I tried it and that works too.

Dont know about hair rigs and not sure if anyone has tried boilies..spelling? but the carp i and others caught were all on bread with various cocktails,

The only thing i can say about patrole routes is that one night i seen one of these floats with LED still on a broken line traveling constantly up and down the lake about 5 meters from the opposite bank, the fish was later caught still being attached to the line float and hook ..it was a large carp,

You have to be skilled at casting to reach that far across as shadow lake can only be fished from one bank, Long rods can be frustrating as with many venues here shelters,trees and jungle dont leave much space behind so choose your casting space with care, My favourite weapon is a one piece 6ft rod with a magged avet casting reel ...on a good day 1 cast out of 10 might get that distance,other days i just cant get that far,

Ting tong, you know my rod its a shimano hyperloop and its 2.75 and more then 3 meters. It can be used there. I have never used boilies here and they might take them im not sure. It would be fun to find out. I got a nice big pla bug on that carp rod you the ones they have to carry off the 50kg ones. It was a nice fight but i got it in.

Shadow lake is great to fish in, i can vouch for the days that the commercial guys did not catch a thing and we were catching them. I do know that i will be fishing a lot more now that i got a car to take me there. I can bring a lot more stuff too.

Ting tong, you know my rod its a shimano hyperloop and its 2.75 and more then 3 meters. It can be used there. I have never used boilies here and they might take them im not sure. It would be fun to find out. I got a nice big pla bug on that carp rod you the ones they have to carry off the 50kg ones. It was a nice fight but i got it in.

Shadow lake is great to fish in, i can vouch for the days that the commercial guys did not catch a thing and we were catching them. I do know that i will be fishing a lot more now that i got a car to take me there. I can bring a lot more stuff too.

Sure longer rods can be used there and are great for casting if you choose where to cast from, I,ve been in the trees with a 7ft,

Yes that shimano hyperloop, I seen you catch a bug on that at sakuna...wow i never thought a rod could bend double like that but it looks fun,

You mostly fish with a rack of rods and also with a 1 piece 6ft aiming for the monsters.

Sure longer rods can be used there and are great for casting if you choose where to cast from, I,ve been in the trees with a 7ft,

Yes that shimano hyperloop, I seen you catch a bug on that at sakuna...wow i never thought a rod could bend double like that but it looks fun,

You mostly fish with a rack of rods and also with a 1 piece 6ft aiming for the monsters.

Sure normally i use a 6ft one for the monsters, especially if i were to go to bungsamran or fish with friends. ITs harder to control a fish if your line is not thick and you rod does not have the power. However its hard to control one of the monsters anyway.

I downsized.. now i only fish with 2 rods at a time. That shimano hyperloop and that 6ft rod. You are right you cant use a long rod everywhere.. you just have to know where to go.