Great Cheap Chinese Restaurant

junkofdavid2

Having been to chinese restaurants in Hong Kong, Singapore, Malaysia, and even the Philippines, I've long believed that chinese food in Bangkok SUCKED. Probably because the chinese food here is more of Tai Chiew than Cantonese, which is the very delicious type of chinese food in the countries mentioned above.

However, I discovered a pretty good chinese cantonese restaurant with good prices and good portions... in Central World.

The name is Grand Sanyod Cantonese Restaurant... on the 6th floor, a bit off from the main atrium. (If you're facing McDonalds, it's to the left). It's hard to read the sign, because the English characters are small compared to the Thai characters. They actually don't have good "marketing" because to foreigners like us, it seems more like a Thai restaurant than Chinese one.

It seems pretty empty so let's patronize it or it might close.

Here's a link:

http://hungryguide.centralworld.co.th/CW/e...ail.asp?id=2116

:)

Thanks for the tip, David, BUT

I could not find Grand Sanyod Cantonese Restaurant

in the link you provided.

Also, does anyone know a good authentic Cantonese

or Mandarin restaurant in the Pattaya area?

Dont wish to be pedantic but there is no such thing as a mandarin restaurant. China has different foods according to provinces, The further north you go you will find that rice is less a staple diet and is replaced by breads etc. cantonese food is from guangdong province.

My favorite Chinese restaurant in the world ... not just Thailand ... is the Ho Restaurant at the J.W. Marriott on Sukhumvit, Soi 2. It's very expensive ... for Thailand ... but the menu is extensive, and the food is superb ... plus the service, decor and ambiance are impeccable. In fact, thanks for the reminder ... I'm going there tonight.

Edited by HerbalEd

My current printed directory for Central World, under the restaurants and cafes section, lists a Grand San Yod Restaurant on the 6th floor, in unit B602, which looks to be just about halfway between the long aisle between the Zen and Isetan stores.

Thanks SBK...but it's really nothing...

Back home in the U.S., if you needed to decide where is the closest XXXXX you want to go to for shopping or eating, you just look in the phone book (or the online version of same).

Here, given that there's no really comprehensive printed or online English phone directory (there are some, but I've not found them that helpful) that I've found, I've taken to collecting directories for the major shopping/eating places I tend to frequent.

That way, if I know I'm going to be heading somewhere, it's easy to look for what I need.

I hate wandering around the malls, wasting my time.

• 2 weeks later...

My personal preference is the back alley / "hole in the wall" type Chinese restaurants in Bangkok.I have found three in Bangkok that I have been frequenting for years. If you like Shanghai style steam dumplings that have soup inside the dumpling I recommend a place called Tao <deleted>, Yong Her that is off Soi Narathivasrajchanakarin (Soi Narathivas) just off the Chong Nongsi BTS station when exiting from left hand side when facing Silom road and walking towards Silom road. Toraijyun off of Sukhumvit 41 in a small side street behind the Tops supermarket serves a wide variety of Hong Kongnese dishe. Very similar to Toraijyun closer to Silom/Lumpini is operated by Ta Yang Group Co. Ltd. (don't know the actually name of the restaurant as the business card only says the group's name) on 5/4 Soi Ngamduplee, Rama 4 Road. Restaurant is about 25 meters on the left when coming from Rama 4 just next to a barbar shop. All restaurants above are excellent and very cheap. About 4 dishes costs about 400 baht. More info on these can be found on PekoPiko's website. Good luck and happy eating!