20 Aussie Pedos Tried To Visit Tsunami Countries

The_Moog

20 Australian pedophiles tried to travel to tsunami countries

CANBERRA (AP):

About 20 convicted Australian pedophiles unsuccessfully tried to travel to Indonesia and Thailand immediately after the Dec. 26 tsunami to prey on vulnerable children, a newspaper reported on Saturday.

The pedophiles were recorded on a new Australian child sex offender register which requires them to tell police where and when they intend to relocate or travel, The Weekend Australian newspaper said.

Police alerted Indonesian and Thai authorities that the men intended to visit early this year and those governments denied them visas, Western Australia state police Det. Sgt. Martin Voyez told the newspaper.

"After the tsunami, a large number of Indonesian and Thai children were displaced and became very vulnerable," Voyez was quoted as saying.

"This attracted a higher number of pedophiles to those areas than usual."

The newspaper did not say how many pedophiles would usually apply to travel to those countries.

Voyez told the newspaper Indonesia and Thailand always denied entry to registered pedophiles.

20 Australian pedophiles tried to travel to tsunami countries

CANBERRA (AP):

About 20 convicted Australian pedophiles unsuccessfully tried to travel to Indonesia and Thailand immediately after the Dec. 26 tsunami to prey on vulnerable children, a newspaper reported on Saturday.

Police alerted Indonesian and Thai authorities that the men intended to visit early this year and those governments denied them visas, Western Australia state police Det. Sgt. Martin Voyez told the newspaper.

Thailand and Indonesia should have let them in, and then made them "quietly" disappear in the jungle somewhere. Their names could have been added to the list of 50,000 still unaccounted for.

Would have done the children of the world a great service.

Shocking as this story appears to be, isn't it a bit of a non-story contrived only to shock and sell newspapers?

The clue to this is in the last two lines:

The newspaper did not say how many pedophiles would usually apply to travel to those countries.

Voyez told the newspaper Indonesia and Thailand always denied entry to registered pedophiles.

Shocking as this story appears to be, isn't it a bit of a non-story contrived only to shock and sell newspapers?

Assuming this story just recently ran in a newspaper, it does seem like the type of story that a newspaper sits on until they need to fill some space. This did occur over three months ago.

Call to cancel pedophile passports

April 16, 2005

A CHILD rights group today demanded the passports of recidivist pedophiles be cancelled to stop them targeting children left defenceless by the Boxing Day tsunami.

The Child Wise group said cancelling passports of repeat offenders would end any chance for pedophiles to enter countries where thousands of children have been left orphaned.

About 20 convicted pedophiles trying to travel to Indonesia and Thailand following the tsunami have been stopped, caught by new rules introduced with a national child sex offender register.

Under the register, the offenders have to tell police if they plan to travel overseas.

Some countries, including Indonesia and Thailand, ban convicted sex offenders from entering their countries.

Child Wise director Bernadette McMenamin said authorities knew pedophiles would be targeting children in countries hit by the tsunami.

When countries experienced natural disasters or military crises, pedophiles exploited that instability, she said.

"Post-tsunami we expected that a lot of Australian child sex offenders would target these countries."

Ms McMenamin was happy the new child sex register had worked but said more could be done to stop Australian pedophiles from abusing children overseas and suggested the government introduce a travel ban.

"We do think that some offenders are too high risk and they shouldn't be allowed to travel overseas," she said.

"I have checked with the Department of Foreign Affairs and they said they do have the power to remove passports from people who they believe will harm others overseas."

Child sex offender registers have been set up in NSW, Victoria, Queensland, Western Australia and the Northern Territory and are being prepared in the other states and territories.

The state registers are linked to the national register, and police believe there will be 15,000 pedophiles listed by the end of the year.

Justice Minister Chris Ellison said the Australian Federal Police, federal governments and governments across the region were working together to stop pedophiles.

"It is of concern to me that the paedophiles might use the current environment in Indonesia and Thailand and indeed the region to prey upon children," he told reporters.

"Australia must do everything possible to stop what is an abominable activity."

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/commo...55E1702,00.html

"It is because of this register that these Aussie Pedos were stopped, How many from the UK, USA and other countries were not stopped.

At least Australia is doing something about it."

From one red blooded American...long live Australia!

...At least Australia is doing something about it...

Exactly what I was thinking. Well done the Aussies. Get off your fat <deleted> EU and US politicians!

FYI

According to Sexual Offences Act 2003 (UK) PART 2, Paragraph 86 "Notification: travel outside the United Kingdom"

(1) The Secretary of State may by regulations make provision requiring relevant offenders who leave the United Kingdom, or any description of such offenders-

a.  to give in accordance with the regulations, before they leave, a notification under subsection (2);

b.  if they subsequently return to the United Kingdom, to give in accordance with the regulations a notification under subsection (3).

(2) A notification under this subsection must disclose-

a. the date on which the offender will leave the United Kingdom;

b. the country (or, if there is more than one, the first country) to which he will travel and his point of arrival (determined in accordance with the regulations) in that country;

c. any other information prescribed by the regulations which the offender holds about his departure from or return to the United Kingdom or his movements while outside the United Kingdom.

(3) A notification under this subsection must disclose any information prescribed by the regulations about the offender's return to the United Kingdom.

(4) Regulations under subsection (1) may make different provision for different categories of person.

The offences covered by this act include, Rape, all sexual offences involving children, sexual offences against mental handicapped persons, Trafficking within or without the UK for sexual exploitation, Administering a substance with intent, Exposure, Voyeurism, Intercourse with an animal, Sexual penetration of a corpse and Sexual activity in a public lavatory - to name but few.

Perhaps they should have included xenophobic comments against the UK from our colonial cousins as well?

...At least Australia is doing something about it...

Exactly what I was thinking. Well done the Aussies. Get off your fat <deleted> EU and US politicians!

FYI

According to Sexual Offences Act 2003 (UK) PART 2, Paragraph 86 "Notification: travel outside the United Kingdom"

(1) The Secretary of State may by regulations make provision requiring relevant offenders who leave the United Kingdom, or any description of such offenders-

The offences covered by this act include, Rape, all sexual offences involving children, sexual offences against mental handicapped persons, Trafficking within or without the UK for sexual exploitation, Administering a substance with intent, Exposure, Voyeurism, Intercourse with an animal, Sexual penetration of a corpse and Sexual activity in a public lavatory - to name but few.

Perhaps they should have included xenophobic comments against the UK from our colonial cousins as well?

I see that the Secretary of State ` May` make provision requiring relevant offenders etc etc.

`May` it seems, is the word of interest here in your quote from the Act.

I wonder how many pedos are actually required to comply with the act?

I suspect very few.

I see that the Secretary of State ` May` make provision requiring relevant offenders etc etc.

`May`  it seems, is the word of interest here in your quote from the Act.

I suspect very few.

"May" is just the nature of British Law. Discretion IMHO being an integral part of all good laws.

`May`   it seems, is the word of interest here in your quote from the Act.

I suspect very few.

"May" is just the nature of British Law. Discretion IMHO being an integral part of all good laws.

And who do they have to notify......???....Scotland yard ???

`May`  it seems, is the word of interest here in your quote from the Act.

I suspect very few.

The police, of course. Offenders also appear on the Register of Sexual Offenders, which is only accessible to the police for the purposes of criminal detection.

Now I am only going to write this once and I will not debate it. Because every time the “p” word is mentioned on this forum, every chemically damaged member of TV bawls as many “f” words as they can. Almost to the point where it could be believed this behaviour provided a catharsis for their own perversions.

There is a proposal to make the Register of Sexual Offenders available to all. I believe this should not happen for the following reasons:

This proposal is a fundamental violation of the principles of our penal system, which are based on the serving of a set punishment before being freed. This registration imposes a new punishment for an old crime, and, inevitably, will lead to sex offenders being demonised by their neighbours, and possible forced to move out. In the UK the publication of addresses by the ‘News of the World’ led to widespread hate campaigns and violence, sometimes against innocent people with similar names, or people living in a house listed in the newspaper as that of a sex offender. Such a risk cannot be tolerated; we cannot as a society revert back to mob rule in place of justice.

On the other hand, crimes of a sexual nature are among the most abhorrent and damaging that exist; they can ruin a child’s life. As the offenders responsible for these offences cannot be incarcerated for ever, and must be released at some point, extra precautions must be taken to ensure they pose no threat to the public.

However, I believe this is muddying the waters. Psychological evaluations can determine accurately whether an offender is still a risk to society or not. If they are, they should not be released. If they are not, they should be freed and allowed to live a normal life. A register eliminates this distinction, and stigmatises those who have genuinely reformed. We have a penal system at the heart of which is the principle of reforming offenders, and it is ludicrous to simply ignore the possibility of change.

Police work can be aided by a register that is only available to law enforcement agencies; making it public adds no advantage. Indeed, it might be counter-productive as the abuse that offenders would have to suffer might drive them underground, thus causing the police to lose track of them.

I believe the British legal system has moved on from the times when we hanged a man for killing the King’s deer, or deported to Australia, a father who stole bread for his children.

Thankfully.

Edited by Thomas_Merton

`May`   it seems, is the word of interest here in your quote from the Act.

I suspect very few.

The police, of course. Offenders also appear on the Register of Sexual Offenders, which is only accessible to the police for the purposes of criminal detection.

Now I am only going to write this once and I will not debate it. Because every time the “p” word is mentioned on this forum, every chemically damaged member of TV bawls as many “f” words as they can. Almost to the point where it could be believed this behaviour provided a catharsis for their own perversions.

There is a proposal to make the Register of Sexual Offenders available to all. I believe this should not happen for the following reasons:

This proposal is a fundamental violation of the principles of our penal system, which are based on the serving of a set punishment before being freed. This registration imposes a new punishment for an old crime, and, inevitably, will lead to sex offenders being demonised by their neighbours, and possible forced to move out. In the UK the publication of addresses by the ‘News of the World’ led to widespread hate campaigns and violence, sometimes against innocent people with similar names, or people living in a house listed in the newspaper as that of a sex offender. Such a risk cannot be tolerated; we cannot as a society revert back to mob rule in place of justice.

On the other hand, crimes of a sexual nature are among the most abhorrent and damaging that exist; they can ruin a child’s life. As the offenders responsible for these offences cannot be incarcerated for ever, and must be released at some point, extra precautions must be taken to ensure they pose no threat to the public.

However, I believe this is muddying the waters. Psychological evaluations can determine accurately whether an offender is still a risk to society or not. If they are, they should not be released. If they are not, they should be freed and allowed to live a normal life. A register eliminates this distinction, and stigmatises those who have genuinely reformed. We have a penal system at the heart of which is the principle of reforming offenders, and it is ludicrous to simply ignore the possibility of change.

Police work can be aided by a register that is only available to law enforcement agencies; making it public adds no advantage. Indeed, it might be counter-productive as the abuse that offenders would have to suffer might drive them underground, thus causing the police to lose track of them.

I believe the British legal system has moved on from the times when we hanged a man for killing the King’s deer, or deported to Australia, a father who stole bread for his children.

Thankfully.

The Child Sex Offenders Register in Australia is not made public....information is only given to the relevant authorities and must be with good cause...In this case it was the authorities in another country, in order to reduce the risk of kids, even more vunerable than normal, from being abused.

It is fine to say that these people should be allowed to live normal lives after prison. But most of them are not remorseful, most plead not guilty and subject their victims to the ordeal of a trial, most are in self denial and because of this, many do re-offend.

We can discuss the rights of the offenders all day, but what about the rights of the victims....they live a life sentence.... An offender goes to Jail and gets free councelling and assistance...what about the victims....what do they get ???

I agree that such Registers must not be accessed by the Public but....Information on that register should be available to any relevant authority, even overseas authorities if necessary.

Anything that prevents even one child from being abused is a good thing.

gburns57au , thank you for the sensible comments.

On the whole I do not disagree with you, although I would like to make two points.

It is fine to say that these people should be allowed to live normal lives after prison. But most of them are not remorseful, most plead not guilty and subject their victims to the ordeal of a trial, most are in self denial and because of this, many do re-offend.

What you say here, unfortunately applies to the vast majority of all recidivist offenders, whatever their offences.

I agree absolutely with this point; however I am afraid that this modern obsession with the “p” offence, removes from our gaze what IMHO are abuses of children as grave as any sexual:

• The abuse of growing up in poverty

• The economic abuse of children (either in the workplace or by the advertising industry)

• The psychological abuse of children

• The physical abuse of children

• The educational abuse of children

• The abuse of abandonment

• The abuse of being unwanted

• The abuse of being unloved

• The abuse of the unborn child

Thanks to 'Thomas Merton' for remarks that are worthy of his adopted name.

IN many jurisdictions, convicted pedophiles (and criminals of other types of crime) are not given proper treatment to prevent their recidivism. They are locked up in a place where they learn new tricks, and finally are released. A former member of my congregation served time for abusing his daughter and the pastor's daughter. He wasn't good with words, and his efforts at 'remorse' didn't sound sincere, but they were about as sincere as he could make them. He and his family (separately) went through an intensive treatment program, but that case was exceptionally rare. I doubt the recidivism rate is very high after such treatment. He said the success (non-repeat) rate was very good.

Thanks to 'Thomas Merton' for remarks that are worthy of his adopted name.

IN many jurisdictions, convicted pedophiles (and criminals of other types of crime) are not given proper treatment to prevent their recidivism.  They are locked up in a place where they learn new tricks, and finally are released.  A former member of my congregation served time for abusing his daughter and the pastor's daughter.  He wasn't good with words, and his efforts at 'remorse' didn't sound sincere, but they were about as sincere as he could make them.  He and his family (separately) went through an intensive treatment program, but that case was exceptionally rare.  I doubt the recidivism rate is very high after such treatment.  He said the success (non-repeat) rate was very good.

In Oz, there are courses in many areas available to all offenders in jails, unfortunately most offenders join these as an assistance to early release, it looks good to the parole board. Once released they go back to their old ways. There are some offenders who do take something out of these courses, but these are in the minority.

gburns57au , thank you for the sensible comments.

On the whole I do not disagree with you, although I would like to make two points.

What you say here, unfortunately applies to the vast majority of all recidivist offenders, whatever their offences.

I agree absolutely with this point; however I am afraid that this modern obsession with the “p” offence, removes from our gaze what IMHO are abuses of children as grave as any sexual:

• The abuse of growing up in poverty

• The economic abuse of children (either in the workplace or by the advertising industry)

• The psychological abuse of children

• The physical abuse of children

• The educational abuse of children

• The abuse of abandonment

• The abuse of being unwanted

• The abuse of being unloved

• The abuse of the unborn child

Thomas, my comments as you quoted could be taken as across the board comments, not just as a comment on sex offenders. However as that was the topic of the thread, my comments were directed to that.

There are many types of child abuse and abuse in general.....Domestic violence, Psychological abuse of wives, Schoolyard bullying...etc... All are equally abhorrent, unfortunately some are never reported and some are not prosecutable by law....some others are not the result of a criminal action but rather a sad circumstance in life. For instance, a child brought up in poverty because of the circumstances of the parents doesnt mean that child is not loved or wanted, or abused in any other way.

Update:

Seize paedophiles' passports: advocate

A national child welfare group wants the Federal Government to confiscate the passports of convicted paedophiles to prevent them from travelling overseas.

The Government has confirmed a number of child-sex offenders attempted to visit Indonesia and Thailand to prey on children affected by the Asian tsunami.

They were on the national child-sex offender register and had to inform police they were planning to travel overseas.

It is understood the information was forwarded to Asian authorities who refused to allow the paedophiles into Thailand and Indonesia.

The national director of Child Wise, Bernadette McMenamin, says the register is reliant on other countries turning Australian paedophiles away.

She says the Federal Government should immediately cancel the passports of paedophiles on the register.

"There are some child-sex offenders that are too high-risk to be let out of the country," Ms McMenamin said.

"It's an absolutely radical move but it's like no other crime," she added. "The recidivism rate is extremely high and many of these individuals have 30, 40 or 50 years of offending against children."

Yesterday, the Minister for Justice and Customs, Chris Ellison, said the Government and Australian Federal Police were working closely with Asian authorities to stop paedophiles from travelling to the region.

"It is of concern to me that paedophiles might use the current environment in Indonesia and Thailand, in fact the region, to prey upon children," Senator Ellison said.

"Australia must do everything possible to stop what is an abominable activity.

"We certainly are concerned in relation to the vulnerable status of some areas of the region that paedophiles might want to exploit the situation."

--abc.net.au

Update:

A national child welfare group wants the Federal Government to confiscate the passports of convicted paedophiles to prevent them from travelling overseas.

The Government has confirmed a number of child-sex offenders attempted to visit Indonesia and Thailand to prey on children affected by the Asian tsunami.

They were on the national child-sex offender register and had to inform police they were planning to travel overseas.

It is understood the information was forwarded to Asian authorities who refused to allow the paedophiles into Thailand and Indonesia.

The national director of Child Wise, Bernadette McMenamin, says the register is reliant on other countries turning Australian paedophiles away.

She says the Federal Government should immediately cancel the passports of paedophiles on the register.

"There are some child-sex offenders that are too high-risk to be let out of the country," Ms McMenamin said.

"It's an absolutely radical move but it's like no other crime," she added. "The recidivism rate is extremely high and many of these individuals have 30, 40 or 50 years of offending against children."

Yesterday, the Minister for Justice and Customs, Chris Ellison, said the Government and Australian Federal Police were working closely with Asian authorities to stop paedophiles from travelling to the region.

"It is of concern to me that paedophiles might use the current environment in Indonesia and Thailand, in fact the region, to prey upon children," Senator Ellison said.

"We certainly are concerned in relation to the vulnerable status of some areas of the region that paedophiles might want to exploit the situation."

--abc.net.au

Over the top reaction ......Bernadette doesnt have a clue about what she is talking about...just wants her name in the paper....

While I agree that repeat offending is high, Very few have a history of continual abuse over the periods of time mentioned. Some cases do go back as far as 30 years ago but not as continual offending.

Update:

--abc.net.au

Over the top reaction ......Bernadette doesnt have a clue about what she is talking about...just wants her name in the paper....

While I agree that repeat offending is high, Very few have a history of continual abuse over the periods of time mentioned. Some cases do go back as far as 30 years ago but not as continual offending.

Maybe it`s because these paedophiles haven`t been caught again.

Maybe it`s because they go to Thailand and Indonesia to commit their crimes.

Maybe the idea in principal is a good one...at least the Aussie authorities will know the whereabouts of these people if they can`t `holiday` abroad.