Pm Wants Model Monks To Act As Community Exemplars

george

PM wants 'model monks' to act as community exemplars

BANGKOK: -- The government's desire to intervene in national religious affairs was highlighted today with an announcement by Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra that he hoped to create 'model monks' in local communities who could help uphold Buddhist morality.

Addressing the nation on his weekly radio show, Mr. Thaksin said that he had asked Deputy Prime Minister Chaturon Chaisang, who oversees the Bureau of National Buddhism, to consult with Deputy Prime Minister Wissanu Krea-Ngam on how best to strengthen Buddhism in Thailand.

The plans, which will also involve the Ministry of Education, will aim to see that Buddhist teachings are taught 'correctly', and that people can use Buddhist principles in their daily lives.

Mr. Thaksin said that he hoped to liaise with the Supreme Sangha Council, known as 'Mahatherasamakhom' - the national council of Thai Buddhist monks - to see whether or not the idea of 'model monks' could be introduced into local communities, with the monks chosen for their understanding of the true nature of the Buddha's teachings.

--TNA 2005-04-16

by Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra that he hoped to create 'model monks' in local communities

You can't create people or their characteristics, and how would the government lead the way in this anyway - let them create model politicians first !!!

:o:D:D

that Buddhist teachings are taught 'correctly'

More censorship in Buddhism too now - follows on from the recent spat with the Chao Khun in Rajaburi who suggested that nomination of CEO's should be more transparent. Taksin immediately had his boys put the hard word on the radio station involved. Is it now up to Taksin to decide what is 'correct' Buddhism.

This gets right up my nose.

I am under the impression that when an offspring of a family enters the monkhood it reflects well upon the family.

has any of mr't' s children ? if so , how long did they stay ? ( I ask because of the stories I hear of rich children basically getting their heads shaved donning the robes and walking out the back door to the waiting mercedes )