Overstay

I just went to extend my 60 days tourist visa in Patong. I found out I was 20 days overstay.(I'd been looking at the date on the visa itself and not the stamp in I got upon entering. The guys just told me I had to pay the 200 baht a day fine (which I did) and then they gave me a 30 day extension for 1900 baht. They didn't act like it was a big deal. Seems like it happens a lot.

What worries me now though will this affect my future request for another tourist visa at the LA consulate next month?

My passport now has a little stamp showing the 4000 baht fine. BTW this is my only overstay and I only have one 30 tourist visa stamp in there as well.

I've got three 60 day tourist visas + extensions used in my passport since last may and one 30 visa. So it does look like I spend a lot of time here.

I don't want any hassle to get another visa in the US. Should I "loose" this passport when I get back to the US? It's good for another 5 years though.

The guys just told me I had to pay the 200 baht a day fine (which I did) and then they gave me a 30 day extension for 1900 baht. They didn't act like it was a big deal. Seems like it happens a lot.
it is a very big deal if you are detained for overstay
Should I "loose" this passport when I get back to the US?

no need for anything drastic, you have taken care of it.

The guys just told me I had to pay the 200 baht a day fine (which I did) and then they gave me a 30 day extension for 1900 baht. They didn't act like it was a big deal. Seems like it happens a lot.

it is a very big deal if you are detained for overstay

Should I "loose" this passport when I get back to the US?

no need for anything drastic, you have taken care of it.

LA can be a difficult Thai Consulate. Apply by mail at the Thai Consulate-General in Houston.

I just went to extend my 60 days tourist visa in Patong. I found out I was 20 days overstay.(I'd been looking at the date on the visa itself and not the stamp in I got upon entering. The guys just told me I had to pay the 200 baht a day fine (which I did) and then they gave me a 30 day extension for 1900 baht. They didn't act like it was a big deal. Seems like it happens a lot.

What worries me now though will this affect my future request for another tourist visa at the LA consulate next month?

My passport now has a little stamp showing the 4000 baht fine. BTW this is my only overstay and I only have one 30 tourist visa stamp in there as well.

I've got three 60 day tourist visas + extensions used in my passport since last may and one 30 visa. So it does look like I spend a lot of time here.

I don't want any hassle to get another visa in the US. Should I "loose" this passport when I get back to the US? It's good for another 5 years though.

Try the Thai consulate in Portland Oregon or Honolulu next time for your tourist visa. Very laid back and no hassles.

Try the Thai consulate in Portland Oregon or Honolulu next time for your tourist visa. Very laid back and no hassles.

I think everyone is referring to the Honourary Consulates, except LA. All of them tend to be easier than the 'real' Consulates, but I really doubt the OP would have a problem anywhere, even LA. The Honouary Consulates tend to be easier for non-immigrant visas because less paperwork is usually asked for from the applicant.

it is a very big deal if you are detained for overstay <doctor, drag out the detention center pics again>

I've had a very good look at that place( agreed not a nice place to visit) (About three weeks worth back in 1978 when I was young and dumb). That's why when they did inform me this time of my overstay I was quite worried at first until I saw they weren't getting very exited about it. It was pretty obvious I made an honest mistake. (but that's not always a very good excuse)

So no one has heard of people being denied a tourist visa for a relatively minor overstay?

it is a very big deal if you are detained for overstay <doctor, drag out the detention center pics again>

So no one has heard of people being denied a tourist visa for a relatively minor overstay?

I was with a guy in Penang who was denied his requested multiple-entry tourist visa, and given only a single entry because of his 12-day overstay. But he was a prick in the office, too.... And that was perhaps 15 years ago. I have a 15 day overstay due to being in hospital (that part was not noted in my PP) some years ago, but it never gave me any problems, even with LA, who gave me my next visa...