BANGKOK
Sign in to follow this  
Maizefarmer

Which Is Worse - And Why?

I just posted this on the other thread mentioned, but it's probably more relevant here:

"I'm curious, does the problem of begging and low end scamming seem to be getting better or worse with time, i.e. over the last 10-20 years? As the country develops are there any services coming out to help support these people? Or is it getting worse as more and more tourists and expats come to Thailand making it easier to make a living this way?"

The same questions could be asked of tea money and outright corruption.

In my opinion there is less begging, but no less corruption. Begging seems to come and go--at times there is an increase, probably due to organized begging and then a crackdown. There is also more foreign beggars than before, but fewer Thais.

I don't mind giving to beggars--that is my choice. Tea money often really isn't a choice; it's extortion.

I have seen a farang beggar (wearing a suit) once sitting on the street at Sukhumvit. He hold a sign asking for money or work, but no less than 100,000 baht per month. <deleted>? Either it was a pretty cool guy just trying something crazy, not being concerned about what others think about him, or a nutcase. Given the snobbish look he gave me after I looked at him once I read his sign, I suppose he was a nutcase.

I regularly give to (Thai) beggars. Even if some of them work for gangs, obviously it's a human being in misery, and if all it takes me is a couple of baht to "ease the pain", I'm not gonna walk by just because there is a possibility that it will benefit the beggar mafia. For most of what I have seen, giving to charities ends up in the wrong pockets way more often (just look at the brand new shiny Lexus cars that all those NGOs in Cambodia drive).

I think teamoney is worse than (Thai) beggars. But I really wouldn't mind it if I understood it better. The problem is, I have no clue, and would always be concerned if I didn't overpay. lol