Us Federal Disability Income

I have no idea of the best section for this question.

I have an American friend over here, who is on Federal Social Security Disability Income as a result of being permanently disabled. The question is: can he declare his address as being in Thailand and continue to draw it? Does anyone know the answer. I believe I have met people in the Philippines in a similar situation, but I do not know if they were just there on the quiet. For reasons that should be self evident, we are cautious about putting the question directly to the responsible authorities.

Edited by BritTim

SSC Disability is intended as a temporary solution even if called 100 pct permanently disabled, the requirements are that you need to live in the usa for at least 6 months a year to stay elegible, so I would not change the adress if he is living here year round. You can call ssc and ask them without giving your name. The main problem will come when he needs to be reevaluated either 1, 3 or 10 years depending on his disability status. He will need to respond and go to any appointments to continue getting it, this can be postponed 2 times for a total of about 3 months, they don't even ask for a reason it's just part of the rules. My point being he needs to make sure someone is watching his mail for the eventual evaluation letter. It's highly unlikely the doctor or anyone else will ask if he lives out of the usa for more than 6 months a year, and even more unlikely they wouldnt believe him if he lied and said no or try and check. But someday I suspect the ssc and passport people will link up via computer and just cut people off without warning.

Yes if it is SSDI. No if it is SSI. This info contradicts the other answer. I think my answer is correct. However, the only definitive answer will be from SS themselves. The info is probably somewhere on their website.

Supplemental Security Income (SSI). If your mother-in-law is disabled and has very low income and few assets, she may be receiving monthly benefit payments from the federal government's Supplemental Security Income (SSI) program. However, these payments cannot continue if she moves out of the U.S.

Social Security benefits. If your mother-in-law is receiving benefits from the Social Security Disability program, she might be able to continue receiving them if she becomes a resident of another country. If she is a U.S. citizen, she has a right to continue receiving Social Security benefits -- including disability -- in almost any other country. Even if she is not a citizen of the U.S., in most countries she can still receive Social Security benefits. The rules for receiving Social Security benefits while living abroad are explained in the Social Security Administration web page Your Payments While You Are Outside The United States. If she continues to receive Social Security Disability benefits, she will have to regularly provide proof to Social Security, usually at a U.S. consulate in the country where she lives, of her income and her physical condition. Once she reaches full retirement age, she could switch from disability benefits to the same amount in Social Security Retirement benefits (if she qualifies for them), which would mean she would automatically receive her benefits and would no longer have to regularly check in with Social Security.

http://www.caring.com/questions/receiving-...s-living-abroad

Edited by Jingthing

Actually the gov site makes it seem like your correct but it's not ..... what they say is ... You can continue to receive payments outside the us "as long as you are eligible" What they DON"T tell you is that you are no longer eligible for SSC disability after living outside the US for more than 6 months. But yes call them and ask is the best thing to do.

Actually the gov site makes it seem like your correct but it's not ..... what they say is ... You can continue to receive payments outside the us "as long as you are eligible" What they DON"T tell you is that you are no longer eligible for SSC disability after living outside the US for more than 6 months. But yes call them and ask is the best thing to do.

The lawyer's answer mentions RESIDENCY abroad, not a temporary trip and explains how it is still possible to remain eligible via US embassies and consulates. I am afraid we haven't yet provided a definitive answer. There are probably some people here with more direct experience of this issue. Hopefully, they will reply. You may also check the US embassy website and see if they mention provided any services for SSDI people living here.

If your mother-in-law is receiving benefits from the Social Security Disability program, she might be able to continue receiving them if she becomes a resident of another country

What is SSC? Never heard of it.

Interesting about the comment on the Philippines.

This USA embassy page doesn't mention SSDI services, but refers to a Philippines email for SS issues.

Also note this page, social security international operations, including disability forms.

http://www.ssa.gov/foreign/index.html

I still don't think you have a definitive answer, reported phone call, or not ...

Edited by Jingthing

I'm on SSDI, have been for a number of years. I've been in Thailand over a year, in another country for 8 years before that. I've always notified the Social Security Administration (SSA) of my address, and there has never been a problem.

For south-east Asia, the regional office is in the Philippines. I've had to call on a couple of occasions, and found them very helpful.

That being said, whatever you hear over the phone from any US government agency is not necessarily to be relied on. The onus is on you to come up with the correct answer. There are many disability lawyers in the States who can quickly evaluate your questions and give you the correct answer.

The answer can be found on this SSA webpage: Your Payments While You Are Outside the United States

Naturally, it's byzantine legalese, but from what I can tell, if your friend is a US citizen receiving SSDI (not SSI), there is no restriction on living outside the US for any length of time, as long as he remains "eligible", which I take to mean "still disabled". The 6 month limitation alluded to by another poster appears to only apply to certain non-US citizens.

I'm no liar - I mean lawyer - so my interpretation might be wrong. Read it yourself and see what you think. Then check with your nearest U.S. Embassy, consulate or Social Security office and to be sure, also consult with an attorney who specializes in this area.

But it looks like your friend is in good shape. :)

There can be another complicating dimension to this issue for some of us on SSDI. That of perhaps having a Representative Payee, as I do, who actually receives the monthly benefit. I have been here more than two years now and have always reported correctly (via the annual RP report) my time here or in the States (only about one month each year). SSDI has recently been contacting my Representative Payee about clarification of who actually determines the use of my funds, she or I. It could end up being a major problem for me remaining here. I am trying not to get spooked about it in advance, but methinks there is probably a huge sleeping dog out there.

Furthermore, with the $USD weakening more and with no end in sight, my monthly income has dropped over 7000 baht since last spring and I would need to temporarily borrow money to requalify for the retirement extension.

Has a way of getting a guy down.

Edited by ThailandLovr

I agree with others that consulting a disability lawyer is the best course of action, Having said that let me also say that my father ( a US citizen with dual citizenship) retired to Greece on disability and received social security disability until I believe was eligible for SSI , upon his death my mother continued to receive SSI in Greece . My sister with whom my mother was staying after my fathers death, went to the US embasy and had the SSI funds released to her, as she was taking care of my Mom, when my Mom went to stay with my other sister in Italy they went to the US embassy and had her SSI sent to Italy, no Problem.

I believe that when you become eligible to receive SSI Disability you retain the same right as other US Citizen including the right to travel and live anywhere you like.