A Simple Question Please - How To Make Poached Eggs

ThailandLovr

To Thailand lovr,

My first wife could make perfect poached eggs. She used to boil the water in saucepan, when boiling put in a teaspoonful of vinegar. turn down gas and stir the water briskly. place egg in cup (in case it was bad)then place gently in water and virtually let the hot simmering water cook the eggs. It did not work for me so I purchased an egg poacher. It is a shallow pan with with a receptical that fits inside that goes into the water. I gently grease the inside of the receptical where the eggs sit (4 seperate eggs) with butter ,or you can use cooking oil. Method. Put water into pan. place receptical in pan, bring to boil. grease. turn down gas . drop in eggs. Perfect eggs.

Well, I am not a chef, but saw a kids TV cooking show one time and this 11 year old boy showed how to make poached eggs. I tried his method and have to say they turn out fantastic and they are not full of water so the toast does not get soggy.

Method: tear off a twelve inch strip of glad wrap (cling wrap) place over a coffee cup and push the centre down into the cup (far enough to break an egg into the wrap) break the egg into the wrap, bring the edges together, twist the top closed and place into simmering water for three minutes (trial and error for the consistency you like) when cooked, turn out onto plate and eat. This method has the added advantage of leaving the cooking pan clean and providing the hot water required to wash up your plate and utensils.

I could not believe how easy this kids method was and the eggs taste great!

When microwaves came into vogue we used to cook fish fillets by this method. Just wrap them up in cling wrap with a little salt and lemon then zap them in the MW.

At the risk of being a 'kill-joy' and scaremonger -

You might wish to Google 'Dangers from Cling wrap'

There seems to be a lot of concern out there regarding cooking with various types pf plastic including cling wrap (film)

Here's a foolproof recipe for poached eggs. The large eggs in this recipe correspond to size 3 eggs in thailand

<H4 class=detailHeader>Ingredients</H4>1teaspoon table salt plus more to taste2tablespoons white vinegar 4large eggs , each cracked into a small handled cup like a coffee cup Ground black pepper <H4 class=detailHeader>Instructions</H4>

1. 1. Fill 8- to 10-inch nonstick skillet nearly to rim with water, add 1 teaspoon salt and the vinegar, and bring mixture to boil over high heat.
  2. 2. Lower the lips of each cup just into water at once; tip eggs into boiling water, cover, and remove from heat. Poach until yolks are medium-firm, exactly 4 minutes. For firmer yolks (or for extra large or jumbo eggs), poach 4 1/2 minutes; for looser yolks (or for medium eggs), poach 3 minutes.
  3. 3. With slotted spoon, carefully lift and drain each egg over skillet. Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve immediately.

• Like 1

Well, I am not a chef, but saw a kids TV cooking show one time and this 11 year old boy showed how to make poached eggs. I tried his method and have to say they turn out fantastic and they are not full of water so the toast does not get soggy.

Method: tear off a twelve inch strip of glad wrap (cling wrap) place over a coffee cup and push the centre down into the cup (far enough to break an egg into the wrap) break the egg into the wrap, bring the edges together, twist the top closed and place into simmering water for three minutes (trial and error for the consistency you like) when cooked, turn out onto plate and eat. This method has the added advantage of leaving the cooking pan clean and providing the hot water required to wash up your plate and utensils.

When microwaves came into vogue we used to cook fish fillets by this method. Just wrap them up in cling wrap with a little salt and lemon then zap them in the MW.

There seems to be a lot of concern out there regarding cooking with various types pf plastic including cling wrap (film)

Yes but I think the danger is when you microwave with cling wrap no? I do not microwave but place in simmering water.

Dont listen the eggs from Thailand are mostly fresh, the water should be simmering not boiling. Yes add vinegar it helps to bind the white. Try and break the egg in a cup, then just slide it in the water. Dont mess with them, just wait they will pop up niclely. The trick is simmer not boil. BTW just look at my name

Agree, few extra points, use cold eggs as warm eggs specialy in this climate make the eggs more liquid and more difficult the keep it together.

Dont mess with them

Not agree, if egg white is breaking away from the egg yellow use two spoons to get the egg white back in placed.

Agree: NEVER use BOILING WATER, this causes movements in the water and will spread the egg true the water.

• 6 months later...

You know - I took a little flak from some of you, a little time ago, for advocating care when using cling wrap with microwave cooking.

You might find this extract from the Jonh Hoskins newsletter interesting,e specially the last part. Franky, I would rather take John Hopkins counsel than your ridicule.

Johns Hopkins Update - Very Good Article

AFTER YEARS OF TELLING PEOPLE CHEMOTHERAPY

IS THE ONLY WAY TO TRY ('TRY', BEING THE KEY WORD) TO ELIMINATE CANCER, JOHNS HOPKINS IS FINALLY STARTING TO TELL YOU THERE IS AN ALTERNATIVE WAY .

Cancer Update from Johns Hopkins :

1. Every person has cancer cells in the body. These cancer

cells do not show up in the standard tests until they have

multiplied to a few billion. When doctors tell cancer patients

that there are no more cancer cells in their bodies after

treatment, it just means the tests are unable to detect the

cancer cells because they have not reached the detectable

size.

2. Cancer cells occur between 6 to more than 10 times in a

person's lifetime.

3. When the person's immune system is strong the cancer

cells will be destroyed and prevented from multiplying and

forming tumors.

4. When a person has cancer it indicates the person has

nutritional deficiencies. These could be due to genetic,

but also to environmental, food and lifestyle factors.

5. To overcome the multiple nutritional deficiencies, changing

diet to eat more adequately and healthy, 4-5 times/day

and by including supplements will strengthen the immune system.

6. Chemotherapy involves poisoning the rapidly-growing

cancer cells and also destroys rapidly-growing healthy cells

in the bone marrow, gastrointestinal tract etc, and can

cause organ damage, like liver, kidneys, heart, lungs etc.

7.. Radiation while destroying cancer cells also burns, scars

and damages healthy cells, tissues and organs.

8. Initial treatment with chemotherapy and radiation will often

reduce tumor size. However prolonged use of

chemotherapy and radiation do not result in more tumor

destruction.

9. When the body has too much toxic burden from

chemotherapy and radiation the immune system is either

compromised or destroyed, hence the person can succumb

to various kinds of infections and complications.

10. Chemotherapy and radiation can cause cancer cells to

mutate and become resistant and difficult to destroy.

Surgery can also cause cancer cells to spread to other

sites.

11. An effective way to battle cancer is to starve the cancer

cells by not feeding it with the foods it needs to multiply.

*CANCER CELLS FEED ON:

a. Sugar substitutes like NutraSweet, Equal, Spoonful, etc are made

with Aspartame and it is harmful. A better natural substitute

would be Manuka honey or molasses, but only in very small

amounts. Table salt has a chemical added to make it white in

color Better alternative is Bragg's aminos or sea salt.

b. Milk causes the body to produce mucus, especially in the

gastro-intestinal tract. Cancer feeds on mucus. By cutting

off milk and substituting with unsweetened soy milk cancer

cells are being starved.

c. Cancer cells thrive in an acid environment. A meat-based

diet is acidic and it is best to eat fish, and a little other meat,

like chicken. Meat also contains livestock

antibiotics, growth hormones and parasites, which are all

harmful, especially to people with cancer.

d. A diet made of 80% fresh vegetables and juice, whole

grains, seeds, nuts and a little fruits help put the body into

an alkaline environment. About 20% can be from cooked

food including beans. Fresh vegetable juices provide live

enzymes that are easily absorbed and reach down to

cellular levels within 15 minutes to nourish and enhance

growth of healthy cells. To obtain live enzymes for building

healthy cells try and drink fresh vegetable juice (most

vegetables including be an sprouts) and eat some raw

vegetables 2 or 3 times a day. Enzymes are destroyed at

temperatures of 104 degrees F (40 degrees C)..

e. Avoid coffee, tea, and chocolate, which have high

caffeine Green tea is a better alternative e and has cancer

fighting properties. Water-best to drink purified water, or

filtered, to avoid known toxins and heavy metals in tap

water. Distilled water is acidic, avoid it.

12. Meat protein is difficult to digest and requires a lot of

digestive enzymes. Undigested meat remaining in the

intestines becomes putrefied and leads to more toxic

buildup.

13. Cancer cell walls have a tough protein covering. By

refraining from or eating less meat it frees more enzymes

to attack the protein walls of cancer cells and allows the

body's killer cells to destroy the cancer cells.

14. Some supplements build up the immune system

(IP6, Flor-ssence, Essiac, anti-oxidants, vitamins, minerals,

EFAs etc.) to enable the bodies own killer cells to destroy

cancer cells.. Other supplements like vitamin E are known

to cause apoptosis, or programmed cell death, the body's

normal method of disposing of damaged, unwanted, or

unneeded cells.

15. Cancer is a disease of the mind, body, and spirit.

A proactive and positive spirit will help the cancer warrior

be a survivor. Anger, un-forgiveness and bitterness put

the body into a stressful and acidic environment. Learn to

have a loving and forgiving spirit. Learn to relax and enjoy

life.

16. Cancer cells cannot thrive in an oxygenated

environment. Exercising daily, and deep breathing help to

get more oxygen down to the cellular level. Oxygen

therapy is another means employed to destroy cancer

cells.

1. No plastic containers in micro.

2. No water bottles in freezer.

3. No plastic wrap in microwave..

Johns Hopkins has recently sent this out in its newsletters. This information is being circulated at Walter Reed Army Medical Center as well. Dioxin chemicals cause cancer, especially breast cancer. Dioxins are highly poisonous to the cells of our bodies. Don't freeze your plastic bottles with water in them as this releases dioxins from the plastic. Recently, Dr Edward Fujimoto, Wellness Program Manager at Castle Hospital , was on a TV program to explain this health hazard. He talked about dioxins and how bad they are for us. He said that we should not be heating our food in the microwave using plastic containers. This especially applies to foods that contain fat. He said that the combination of fat, high heat, and plastics releases dioxin into the food and ultimately into the cells of the body. Instead, he recommends using glass, such as Corning Ware, Pyrex or ceramic containers for heating food. You get the same results, only without the dioxin. So such things as TV dinners, instant ramen and soups, etc., should be removed from the container and heated in something else. Paper isn't bad but you don't know what is in the paper. It's just safer to use tempered glass, Corning Ware, etc. He reminded us that a while ago some of the fast food restaurants moved away from the foam containers to paper The dioxin problem is one of the reasons.

Please share this with your whole email list.........................

Also, he pointed out that plastic wrap, such as Saran, is just as dangerous when placed over foods to be cooked in the microwave. As the food is nuked, the high heat causes poisonous toxins to actually melt out of the plastic wrap and drip into the food. Cover food with a paper towel instead.

as per the 'Cancer Update' post from Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health:

STATEMENT: EMAIL HOAX REGARDING CANCER

Information falsely attributed to Johns Hopkins called, "CANCER UPDATE FROM JOHN HOPKINS" describes properties of cancer cells and suggests ways of preventing cancer. Johns Hopkins did not publish the information, which often is an email attachment, nor do we endorse its contents. The email also contains an incorrect spelling of our institution as "John" Hopkins; whereas, the correct spelling is "Johns" Hopkins. For more information about cancer, please read the information on our web site or visit the National Cancer Institute's web site at www.cancer.gov. Please help combat the spread of this hoax by letting others know of this statement.

http://www.jhsph.edu/publichealthnews/articles/halden_dioxins2.html

as per the 'Cancer Update' post from Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health:

STATEMENT: EMAIL HOAX REGARDING CANCER

Information falsely attributed to Johns Hopkins called, "CANCER UPDATE FROM JOHN HOPKINS" describes properties of cancer cells and suggests ways of preventing cancer. Johns Hopkins did not publish the information, which often is an email attachment, nor do we endorse its contents. The email also contains an incorrect spelling of our institution as "John" Hopkins; whereas, the correct spelling is "Johns" Hopkins. For more information about cancer, please read the information on our web site or visit the National Cancer Institute's web site at www.cancer.gov. Please help combat the spread of this hoax by letting others know of this statement.

http://www.jhsph.edu...n_dioxins2.html

Jazzbo,

I accept that the alert message from Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public House, did not originate from them.

However, in my original posting, I referred to Googling 'Dangers in Cooking in Plastic Wrap'. I re-visited that search today, and there are more than enough postings from credible sources to, at least, create an awareness of possible dangers in using Cling Wrap or plastics in cooking or storage. Perhaps it is down to each and every reader to determine the risk.

Gladiator

No problem for me... I don't own a microwave. But I sure like putting drinking water in the freezer... You'd better get rid of all that aluminum cookware and foil or you'll get alzheimer's.

You never know.. do you...until it happens? then you won't be aware of it!

That works both ways: We have family friends from the South (USA) who ate nothing but fried chicken with red-eye gravy and collared greens with salt pork and lived well into their 90s...

Former President Ronald Reagan explaining his Alzheimer's condition (1994): I now begin the journey that will lead me into the sunset of my life...

That works both ways: We have family friends from the South (USA) who ate nothing but fried chicken with red-eye gravy and collared greens with salt pork and lived well into their 90s...

Former President Ronald Reagan explaining his Alzheimer's condition (1994): I now begin the journey that will lead me into the sunset of my life...

I would rather not get into discussing Ronald Regan, as many folk have their own opinions concerning him and his mental condition. Plus, I have my own family experience of Dementia and Alzheimers.

However with regard to your first comment -

I, personally, gerw up in SC and GA. The primary diet was much of what you stated - fried chicken, greens, fat-back, gravy, biscuits, cornpone, griits etc. That was, and is probably now, country and poor living for you. I am glad that your friends lived into their 90's. I wish that my grandparents, and many of my family had also had also - But they did not.

have a look at:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20476824/

concerning obesity problems in the South.

Sorry to go off topic - and this is just to reply to your comments - not engage a further debate

No problem for me... I don't own a microwave. But I sure like putting drinking water in the freezer... You'd better get rid of all that aluminum cookware and foil or you'll get alzheimer's.

Jazzbo,

I do not think that we are ever going to see eye-to-eye on this topic. However you state that you do not own a micowave - I do, and would perfer to err on the side of caution.

On the contrary, Kuhn G, I eat a low-meat diet with lots of vegetables and fruit with whole-wheat bread, oatmeal, yogurt, pasta with tomatoes, etc. no cheese... I cook on my improvised kitchen on the balcony. Cholestrerol level in-check... however my downfall is mayonnaise... My only real point of contention is when you quote some stupid internet hoax and authoritatively attribute it to Johns Hopkins SoPH...

If you really want to err on the side of caution, get rid of the microwave and buy a convection oven.

On Mickey Mantle (from WikiPedia)

As the years passed, and he had outlived all the men in his family by several years, he frequently used a line popularized by football legend Bobby Layne, a Dallas neighbor and friend of Mantle's who also died in part due to alcohol abuse: "If I'd known I was gonna live this long, I'd have taken a lot better care of myself."

On the contrary, Kuhn G, I eat a low-meat diet with lots of vegetables and fruit with whole-wheat bread, oatmeal, yogurt, pasta with tomatoes, etc. no cheese... I cook on my improvised kitchen on the balcony. Cholestrerol level in-check... however my downfall is mayonnaise... My only real point of contention is when you quote some stupid internet hoax and authoritatively attribute it to Johns Hopkins SoPH...

If you really want to err on the side of caution, get rid of the microwave and buy a convection oven.

Regarding the misquote - Mea Culpa.

As for owning a microwave - Yep,I have to plea guilty.

Despite all of our previous postings. No one said that life was fair. But at times it is seems very unjust. When I go it will be a fair cop. I am aware that I often do not always eat the 'right' foods' or prepare them in a 'safe' way. Drink wobblypops, do not exercise enough etc. etc. But too many folk I have lost along the way, have done just that. Yes, you can take all precautions with regard to body maintenance, safety etc. - but no guarantees. In fact, someone once said 'If you want a guarantee in life - go buy a Sony'.