Phuket Taxi Drivers Demand Fare Share

webfact

Phuket taxi drivers demand fare share

gallery_327_1086_30971.jpg

Tuk tuk taxis in Karon, which number 400 in total.

gallery_327_1086_1252.jpg

Karon taxi consortium representative Supab Prankaew:

'taxi drivers used to make up to 3,000 baht a day,

but now they only make about 300 baht a day'.

KARON, PHUKET: A group of Phuket taxi operators has demanded a ‘fair share’ of the tourists transported between a Karon hotel and local tour destinations.

The demands follow a complaint from Centara Karon Resort Phuket that heated arguments at the hotel between taxi drivers and tour company representatives have scared off tourists and threatened to ‘tarnish Phuket’s image’ as a tourist destination.

Representatives from Centara Karon Resort Phuket handed a letter of complaint to Phuket Vice Governor Smith Palawatvichai last week. The letter cited several recent public disputes between taxi drivers based near the hotel and tour company representatives.

The letter highlighted a particularly volatile incident last month in which taxi drivers are alleged to have threatened and verbally abused hotel employees and a tour company representative, causing fear among employees and guests.

Tour operators accused by the Karon taxi consortium of monopolizing transportation of tourists include Siam Safari, Tour East, World Tour, D Tour and Turismo, which predominantly transports Scandinavian tourists to the hotel.

Karon taxi consortium representative Supab Prankaew said that the taxi drivers involved in the dispute were angered that tour companies touting in the hotel were not using the local taxi service, and that the tour companies employed foreign representatives, who were putting tourists in their own vehicles.

Mr Suparb said that eight limousine taxis contracted out by the hotel and about 40 other vehicles stationed outside the hotel, including tuk-tuks and mini vans, were losing out on fares.

The taxi drivers used to make between 2,000 and 3,000 baht a day, but now they only make 200 to 300 baht a day,” said Mr Suparb.

“We never threaten tourists. We just do what we need to do to survive, but our jobs are being taken away by these tour companies,” he said.

“About 400 tuk-tuk taxis operate in the Kata-Karon area. Tour companies should use the local taxi service, as it is a job reserved for locals, just like massage, jet-ski and beach-umbrella operators,” added Mr Suparb.

Another meeting chaired by Karon Mayor was held at Karon Municipality yesterday in an attempt to reach an amicable agreement between the interest groups. Attending that meeting were taxi drivers represented by Mr Supab, Centara Karon Resort Phuket and Turismo representatives, and members of the Tourist Police.

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2009/12/12

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

I'll say this again...Told to me directly by a Karon/Kata tuk tuk driver just a few months ago. They make "on average 50,000 baht a month in the high season, and never less than 20,000 baht in the low season." Do what you need to survive...my ass.

I was talking to a Thai girl today about this who works in properties. She was with some clients and they needed a ride less than 1km and tuk tuk wanted 300 baht. She said that was a too much and he agreed to 200, but then said in Thai to another Thai "Tell the prostitute to shut up." She has also received threats of injury by tuk tuk drivers when picking up clients at hotels.

This whole system works backwards here. The taxi and tuk tuks are supposed to be here to service the tourists, not the other way around. On my last vacation I went to The Bahamas and I still remember the local Taxi driver chatting nicely giving us a tour and history of the country as he drove us safely and (relatively) slowly to our hotel, and on the meter no less! God I miss that.

Edited by ScubaBuddha

“About 400 tuk-tuk taxis operate in the Kata-Karon area. Tour companies should use the local taxi service, as it is a job reserved for locals, just like massage, jet-ski and beach-umbrella operators,” added Mr Suparb.

In good company then.

And this is another gem.

“We never threaten tourists. We just do what we need to do to survive.

When i came to phuket in 2006 i lived in a hotel at the north end of the beach road in patong, the tuk tuk fare to the patong area was 100 baht, one evening we went for a meal at the holiday inn on the beach road and used a tuk tuk to go back to the hotel, stupid me i did not check the fare before getting in, when we arrived at the hotel i handed the driver a 100 baht and was told the fare was 300 baht, eventually got the fare down to 200 baht, i have not used a tuk tuk since then, they certainly know how to cut there own throars as the saying goes.

Regarding the lucrativeness of the business, they are simply fighting for a "fair share of the cake"!

they watch everyone around raking it in.... Metered Taxis stringent enforcement rule of law and the problem will evaporate!

Thailand is the first country I came across, police, local government allows people to hold them for ransom!

(Well, we know why)

If I leave Koh Samui and use a tuk-tuk in it's provincial Capitol town, Surrathani, it cost's close to nothing (10 Baht) to go for quite a distance within inner City limits!

on Samui much shorter distances by Motorbike"Taxi" 6x as much and for the unwary much more, not to emtion the taxi tariffs!

Signs, with the distances (Zones) and tariffs at designated stops and inside the pick up truck for everyone clearly to see, printed flyers...

and strict enforcement - would help, but then if the owners of the cabs, pick up and Motorbikes are part of the local government.... or members of the BiB's.... then there is no fast way out of this dilemma.

Edited by Samuian

I think its great that they are loosing their buisness, we had a driver there about a year ago that was furious we had the nerve to ask him to drive us to and from some resorts. Customer service is the last thing on these guys minds and it looks like their finaly suffering the effects of their own bad behaviors. :)

But why are they talking about protected profession?

Siam Safari, AFAIK, only uses Thai drivers, as do all the other tour operators in the area. So what happened here, did the Scandinavian representatives transport guests in their own vehicles? That would be illegal (just as using cars with white/black license plates as taxi's).

I've been to Phuket twice, which is one or two times more than I'd recommend anyone going.

Yes, I'm one of those who really dislike the snarling, greedy and unfriendly attitude displayed by the vast majority of business owners, It's like they expect us to get off the plane and shower then all with ridiculous amounts of money for inferior products and service.

It seems to me that the tuk-tuk drivers are simply being typical of what Phuket is all about - unreasonable greed and no real care for anything but MONEY.

But why are they talking about protected profession?

Siam Safari, AFAIK, only uses Thai drivers, as do all the other tour operators in the area. So what happened here, did the Scandinavian representatives transport guests in their own vehicles? That would be illegal (just as using cars with white/black license plates as taxi's).

The issue the Kata/Karon tuk tuk mafia boss has isn't that the drivers aren't Thai, it is the money should stay "local" i.e. with his orginization. This mindset is a throwback to the days when Phuket consisted of a series of small communities.

There is a great article at an online Phuket news source which explains the evolution of the "village" system in Phuket and how it is the cause for a lot of the transportation problems here. Siam Safari is based in Chalong, not Kata/Karon. That is a different "village." For example, Patong tuk tuks are not allowed to pick up customers after dropping off customers Kata/Karon and vice verse because it's not their "turf." Much in the same way dealing drugs gangs deliniate their territory in urban centers in the US and other cities. It's really too bad because if they were all under one orginization it would reduce a lot of traffic, pollution, wasted fuel, and it should reduce fares. (Ok, being optimistic with that last one) The transportation monopoly the taxi and tuk tuks have on the island is precisely why there is no baht bus running between the beaches communities. And it's why if your in a car you can't get through the traffic in Patong in the evening and later at night because the hundreds of empty tuk tuk's sitting idle, parked illegally, sometimes 2 deep blocking the roadways. Sometimes 3 deep in front of TaiPan.

The tuk tuk driver that told me Karon/Kata tuk tuk drivers make 50,000 baht a month in the high season and over 20,000 per month in the low season also told me that if a tuk tuk driver picks up a fare outside his area and is caught by the other tuk tuk gang, he will likely be warned once, but a second offense and physical violence will be used. It's that way with a lot of things here. Ambulance operators are notorious for fighting, shooting and on occasion killing a "rival" ambulance crew if over disputed territories. In Patong, numerous times I have flagged down a motorbike taxi only to be told I needed to walk to the next block where drivers from that area were hanging out. That's why they have their location on their vests. They are only allowed to pick up from their designated location.

I've been to Phuket twice, which is one or two times more than I'd recommend anyone going.

Yes, I'm one of those who really dislike the snarling, greedy and unfriendly attitude displayed by the vast majority of business owners, It's like they expect us to get off the plane and shower then all with ridiculous amounts of money for inferior products and service.

It seems to me that the tuk-tuk drivers are simply being typical of what Phuket is all about - unreasonable greed and no real care for anything but MONEY.

Unlike in the West where nobody is greedy and nobody cares for money at all! :)

All over the world is greed, but the tuk tuk fares in Phuket doesn't seem fair. A taxi driver in BKK can pocket 20,000 Baht per month or more, doing short trips for 40-50 baht. A tuk tuk fare in Phuket can cost you 500 - 700 Baht, and in most cases is cheaper to rent a car. I have friends that lived on the island, and they all purchased cars. Safety was one of the reasons, long distances and expensive public transportation. I believe if they got rid of this old "village" mentality, it would benefit drivers, tourists and operators.

The issue the Kata/Karon tuk tuk mafia boss has isn't that the drivers aren't Thai, it is the money should stay "local" i.e. with his orginization. This mindset is a throwback to the days when Phuket consisted of a series of small communities.

There is a great article at an online Phuket news source which explains the evolution of the "village" system in Phuket and how it is the cause for a lot of the transportation problems here. Siam Safari is based in Chalong, not Kata/Karon. That is a different "village." For example, Patong tuk tuks are not allowed to pick up customers after dropping off customers Kata/Karon and vice verse because it's not their "turf." Much in the same way dealing drugs gangs deliniate their territory in urban centers in the US and other cities. It's really too bad because if they were all under one orginization it would reduce a lot of traffic, pollution, wasted fuel, and it should reduce fares. (Ok, being optimistic with that last one) The transportation monopoly the taxi and tuk tuks have on the island is precisely why there is no baht bus running between the beaches communities. And it's why if your in a car you can't get through the traffic in Patong in the evening and later at night because the hundreds of empty tuk tuk's sitting idle, parked illegally, sometimes 2 deep blocking the roadways. Sometimes 3 deep in front of TaiPan.

The tuk tuk driver that told me Karon/Kata tuk tuk drivers make 50,000 baht a month in the high season and over 20,000 per month in the low season also told me that if a tuk tuk driver picks up a fare outside his area and is caught by the other tuk tuk gang, he will likely be warned once, but a second offense and physical violence will be used. It's that way with a lot of things here. Ambulance operators are notorious for fighting, shooting and on occasion killing a "rival" ambulance crew if over disputed territories. In Patong, numerous times I have flagged down a motorbike taxi only to be told I needed to walk to the next block where drivers from that area were hanging out. That's why they have their location on their vests. They are only allowed to pick up from their designated location.

Yes, I know about all that, but I am also convinced there is more to this case than so far has surfaced. He is also complaining about foreign representatives putting tourists in their own vehicles.

I don't believe those numbers BTW (50.000 high season and 20.000 low season), but that is a completely different discussion.

Yes, I know about all that, but I am also convinced there is more to this case than so far has surfaced. He is also omplaining about foreign representatives putting tourists in their own vehicles.

I don't believe those numbers BTW (50.000 high season and 20.000 low season), but that is a completely different discussion.

It's possible he was exaggerating, but that's what he said.

Whats hard to believe about it. Doing trips 200 - 500 baht, all day, revenue can potentially be several thousand Baht in one day. It all depends how much goes back to "the company"..

Whats hard to believe about it. Doing trips 200 - 500 baht, all day, revenue can potentially be several thousand Baht in one day. It all depends how much goes back to "the company"..

Aaahh, but they just sit about all day, I suspect they only get a max of 2 hires/day. Reason, cos there are far too many of them, and they are too expensive for short (1 or 2 Km) trips.

I don't doubt you, i just think he was exagerating.

Also, i suspect the expenses still have to be deducted, so the comparison made earlier with minimum wage and teacher salaries is not fair (but most of the tuktuk drivers are not fair anyway)

Yes, I know about all that, but I am also convinced there is more to this case than so far has surfaced. He is also omplaining about foreign representatives putting tourists in their own vehicles.

It's possible he was exaggerating, but that's what he said.

Edited by stevenl

Oh, my goodness young man (gotta make that assumption due to your naive statement) - of course there's greed in every corner of the world, but not generally reaching the level that's reached in Phuket.

You see, the discussion isn't about the west, but I guess you didn't catch on to that as you sit there waving your little Thai flag at anybody who dares to pay any attention to you. :D

I've lived in Thailand long enough to know that there's a distict difference in the level of greed and disregard for people (especially tourists) shown in Phuket compared to almost all other areas of Thailand and the vast, VAST majority of the world.

But, don't tax your brain trying to figure that out. Just crack another bottle, put on those rose-colored glasses, and repeat your personal mantra -- Phuket is perfect...Phuket is perfect...Phuket is perfect..........

Edited by Beacher

Oh, my goodness young man (gotta make that assumption due to your naive statement) - of course there's greed in every corner of the world, but not generally reaching the level that's reached in Phuket.

You see, the discussion isn't about the west, but I guess you didn't catch on to that as you sit there waving your little Thai flag at anybody who dares to pay any attention to you. :D

I've lived in Thailand long enough to know that there's a distict difference in the level of greed and disregard for people (especially tourists) shown in Phuket compared to almost all other areas of Thailand and the vast, VAST majority of the world.

But, don't tax your brain trying to figure that out. Just crack another bottle, put on those rose-colored glasses, and repeat your personal mantra -- Phuket is perfect...Phuket is perfect...Phuket is perfect..........

I also have been in Thailand for many many years and in Asia for half my life, but at sixty I am no longer a young man, but thanks for the compliment anyway.

It escapes why posters such as you find the need to dive straight into insults and assumptions when presented with a differing view but I guess that's not really necessary for me to understand that in order to continue the discussion, so, to the point of debate:

Yes I agree that tuk tuks in Phuket are outrageously expensive, as are some other goods and services that we might want to buy. But nobody forces anyone to buy those things and the existence of them doesn't detract from Phuket as being a desirable place to live nor of its native people being usually very pleasant. It's a bit like some posts on Thai visa, nobody forces anyone to read them, it's down to choice - and after a while we each figure out which posters we like to read and which we do not, avoiding the latter - the existence of poor posting or OP's doesn't detract from the value of the service overall.

I also have been in Thailand for many many years and in Asia for half my life, but at sixty I am no longer a young man, but thanks for the compliment anyway.

It escapes why posters such as you find the need to dive straight into insults and assumptions when presented with a differing view but I guess that's not really necessary for me to understand that in order to continue the discussion, so, to the point of debate:

Yes I agree that tuk tuks in Phuket are outrageously expensive, as are some other goods and services that we might want to buy. But nobody forces anyone to buy those things and the existence of them doesn't detract from Phuket as being a desirable place to live nor of its native people being usually very pleasant. It's a bit like some posts on Thai visa, nobody forces anyone to read them, it's down to choice - and after a while we each figure out which posters we like to read and which we do not, avoiding the latter - the existence of poor posting or OP's doesn't detract from the value of the service overall.

But CM, they are forcing others. They are blocking roads and threatenting violence, and in some cases, committing violence against people who don't obey.

But CM, they are forcing others. They are blocking roads and threatenting violence, and in some cases, committing violence against people who don't obey.

Exactly !! No offense CM (and I totally agree with you on the name calling in what should just be debates) but the key part of what makes the tuk tuk cartels (and they are not alone, try owning a watercraft for fun, etc etc) is that they are enforcing their monopoly so there isnt a choice. Visitors are forced to use them !!

What people find so offensive is the tuk tuks dont even seem to see anything wrong with this, to them its simply their right to own and control, at any price, the transport industry. Its theirs, purchased through intimidation and law breaking, and everyone must pay !! Thats where the greed really shows through.

Well first of all, I wouldn't take my assumption that your a young man (because of a naive statement) as a compliment.

Secondly, you decide to make a snide comment about my post yet accuse me of diving into assumptions and making insults? You had the choice to say nothing, but instead decided to challenge my opinion. You take the time to make such a hollow, childish, and provoking statement like, "Unlike in the West where nobody is greedy and nobody cares for money at all! :) "

What do you expect? Anybody with even an ounce of pride isn't going to let your immature little shot go unpunished. Ya, I guess I got a little insulting, but not without provocation. When you also slip in the line "It escapes why posters such as you find the need to dive straight into insults and assumptions when presented with a differing view"

It has nothing to do with feeling challenged by a different view. You display your passive aggressive nature, and it's really not very attractive.

We're not talking about the west, so don't change the subject, and he used the word "unreasonable".

Common sense would tell you that all around the world there are some greedy people.

Generally we are talking about taxi/tuk tuk drivers and many other business owners in Phuket using threatening, cajoling, stand-over and abusive low-class behaviour (includes lying and cheating) to wring out as much money as they can from any foreigner particularly the obvious white westener, and at the same time provide poor unfriendly, begrudging service.

Now if you are hoping to lull the unknowing tourist into a false sense of reality on this issue, and insinuating that what happens in Phuket is mirrored in say Sydney, New York London or Paris by the local transport operators then you are leading them (the tourists) into a trap and maybe a dangerous one at that. Why? What's your motivation to do such a disservice to them?

Edited by barky

Generally we are talking about taxi/tuk tuk drivers and many other business owners in Phuket using threatening, cajoling, stand-over and abusive low-class behaviour (includes lying and cheating) to wring out as much money as they can from any foreigner particularly the obvious white westener, and at the same time provide poor unfriendly, begrudging service.
No, we're not, we're not talking about other businesses on Phuket, not about cheating money out of white westerners nor about quality of service.

This thread is about the demand from the tuktuk drivers, I suggest we stick to that subject.

Whilst I do not like the enforced monopoly enjoyed by the tuk tuks in Kata/Karon and wish that the situation were different, I think it's naive to some degree to complain about things too much because it is after all a feature of the landscape in tourists area's in Thailand, the only thing that changes is the name and type of the vehicle and the cost. In Chiang Mai it's the Song Tows (sic) who got very nasty a few years ago when the city bought a couple of dozen new buses and tried to establish a public bus service. In Pataya it's the Baht Buses who will increase there prices substantially for off route travel etc. In Samui it's the taxi meters who don't seem to know how to turn on their meters! So it's all a part of the same theme in that it's a predominately tourist service that can and is often monopolised.

Residents and expats have a choice and I would guess that most exercise it by not using tuk tuks. Visitors have less of a choice because they simply do not understand their options in most cases but nevertheless, there are some choices available to the ones that chose to look for them, most probably don't because a 350 baht bus fare is not worth saving money on for the average western tourist I would guess, even true if that fare turns out to be 500 baht or slightly more. And let's face it, anyone whop has travelled the world even to a moderate degree understands that if there's a risk of being scammed or fleeced in a strange country it's almost certainly going to begin with the taxi's, unless of course we're talking about highly regulated/policed countries such as the UK or USA and Thailand of course is not even close to either one.

Is it right, no, do I like it, no, will it change, yes, when the island government decides that too much bad press exists that might make Phuket look bad in the eyes of the international community. Until that time I think we're all best served by accepting it as a feature of the landscape that along with many other things we know about here, is simply the way things are.

We're not talking about the west, so don't change the subject, and he used the word "unreasonable".

Common sense would tell you that all around the world there are some greedy people.

Now if you are hoping to lull the unknowing tourist into a false sense of reality on this issue, and insinuating that what happens in Phuket is mirrored in say Sydney, New York London or Paris by the local transport operators then you are leading them (the tourists) into a trap and maybe a dangerous one at that. Why? What's your motivation to do such a disservice to them?

If we're to have a debate about the shortcomings of Phuket's tuk tuk drivers I think it's important to put that discussion into context. Once again, I don't approve of nor like the Kata/Karon monopoly and if I could change it and create a fair system I would, but I can't. So let's just stop and remember where we are for a moment - no, we're not in Sydney, London or New York we're in a country that not long ago was regarded as being part of the third world. We're in a country where corruption exists at all levels and anyone who has ever read a newspaper will likely understand that. And in Phuket we're in the middle of a prime tourist destination and all that entails, if incoming tourists can't join up the dots on all of this they are best advised to stay home I reckon.

If tourists coming to Thailand, no matter how innocent or naive they might be, think that everything is going to be just like back home, well, they're in for a shock and quite deserved it will be too - the reality is that most tourists probably don't mind spending 350 or 500 baht for a taxi ride on their holiday because most Westerners continue to see that as good value - the problem with all of this is that it's the expats who live here that don't like the problem (and quite rightly so), not so much the tourists who only stay here for two or three weeks and then leave.

Once again, I don't condone the situation but I do think that things should be viewed in the context of who and where.

the reality is that most tourists probably don't mind spending 350 or 500 baht for a taxi ride on their holiday because most Westerners continue to see that as good value

Really?

How do you explain the hundreds of complaints from tourists about excessive tuk-tuk prices?

Many of these tourists have spent a couple of days in Bangkok, so, they know they are being ripped off.

I really don't understand your attitude.

Whilst I do not like the enforced monopoly enjoyed by the tuk tuks in Kata/Karon and wish that the situation were different, I think it's naive to some degree to complain about things too much because it is after all a feature of the landscape in tourists area's in Thailand, the only thing that changes is the name and type of the vehicle and the cost. In Chiang Mai it's the Song Tows (sic) who got very nasty a few years ago when the city bought a couple of dozen new buses and tried to establish a public bus service. In Pataya it's the Baht Buses who will increase there prices substantially for off route travel etc. In Samui it's the taxi meters who don't seem to know how to turn on their meters! So it's all a part of the same theme in that it's a predominately tourist service that can and is often monopolised.

Residents and expats have a choice and I would guess that most exercise it by not using tuk tuks. Visitors have less of a choice because they simply do not understand their options in most cases but nevertheless, there are some choices available to the ones that chose to look for them, most probably don't because a 350 baht bus fare is not worth saving money on for the average western tourist I would guess, even true if that fare turns out to be 500 baht or slightly more. And let's face it, anyone whop has travelled the world even to a moderate degree understands that if there's a risk of being scammed or fleeced in a strange country it's almost certainly going to begin with the taxi's, unless of course we're talking about highly regulated/policed countries such as the UK or USA and Thailand of course is not even close to either one.

Is it right, no, do I like it, no, will it change, yes, when the island government decides that too much bad press exists that might make Phuket look bad in the eyes of the international community. Until that time I think we're all best served by accepting it as a feature of the landscape that along with many other things we know about here, is simply the way things are.

hehehe, arriving New York 17 years old travelling with my grandfather 70+ (the old man not speaking a word english) I was scammed by an airport taxi. Took me 2 hours to understand why the taxi didnt want to drop us off outside Holiday Inn Manhattan, but around the corner. First and last :)

Really?

How do you explain the hundreds of complaints from tourists about excessive tuk-tuk prices?

Many of these tourists have spent a couple of days in Bangkok, so, they know they are being ripped off.

I really don't understand your attitude.

I'm really not trying to champion any cause here it's just the way I see things on this issue. Look, adults are grown up people and they can figure out a surprising number of things if they really want to, a taxi in Bangkok is not the same as a tuk tuk in Phuket, the ratio of vehicles to potential customers is very different, the enforcement aspect is not the same and the travel profiles between the two places are very different - mostly, one is a business centre and the other a holiday destination, reasonable thinking people will consider those points I think.

Anyway, can you point me at those hundreds of complaints from tourists complaining about excessive tuk-tuk prices because whilst I'm sure they may exist, I've not seen any and I seriously doubt that you've actually seen hundreds also, with all due respect.