Phuket Taxi Drivers Demand Fare Share

webfact

Another online site says that according to the TAT excessive prices charged by tuk-tuks and the rudeness of the drivers is the most common reasons why tourists won't come back to Phuket.

For every tourist that actually bothers to contact TAT, how many don't but decide not to come back anyway.

The tuk-tuk issue is now affecting ALL tourist based businesses and tarnishing Thailand's image.

I think this may be the beginning of the end.

Another online site says that according to the TAT excessive prices charged by tuk-tuks and the rudeness of the drivers is the most common reasons why tourists won't come back to Phuket.

For every tourist that actually bothers to contact TAT, how many don't but decide not to come back anyway.

The tuk-tuk issue is now affecting ALL tourist based businesses and tarnishing Thailand's image.

I have no doubt that you read the things you said but do you honestly believe that the TAT would actually have said as much, I seriously doubt it since their primary function is to put a positive spin on all things Thai related hence I'll put the comments down to creative journalism.

hehehe, arriving New York 17 years old travelling with my grandfather 70+ (the old man not speaking a word english) I was scammed by an airport taxi. Took me 2 hours to understand why the taxi didnt want to drop us off outside Holiday Inn Manhattan, but around the corner. First and last :)

Ok, apparently I've got the mentality of a 17 year old first time traveler. Why'd he drop you around the corner?

the reality is that most tourists probably don't mind spending 350 or 500 baht for a taxi ride on their holiday because most Westerners continue to see that as good value

Really?

How do you explain the hundreds of complaints from tourists about excessive tuk-tuk prices?

Many of these tourists have spent a couple of days in Bangkok, so, they know they are being ripped off.

I really don't understand your attitude.

Plus for many its not (only) the money.. its the threats, the cheating, the litany of <deleted> they get away with because they are an accepted 'mafia' who can do what they want, park where they want, and the police will always back them up.

The normal one I saw all the time, living up sun hill, is agreeing to a price to 'the top of the hill' then demanding more money or full payment of the far at the bottom of the hill, at silly o clock, in the dark, with now no other option. Nice way to build customer loyalty.

I have no doubt that you read the things you said but do you honestly believe that the TAT would actually have said as much, I seriously doubt it since their primary function is to put a positive spin on all things Thai related hence I'll put the comments down to creative journalism.

Yes its been reported multiple times, that the primary complaints to the TAT especially for phuket are tuk tuk related.

I am wondering how long you have been here ?? Surely this isnt news ??

Just look at the outpouring of comments on the gazette and other sources. People from all over the world comment after comment with not a single one positive.

Having read your post's CM i think your not in the same phuket ive been to several times not a fly by tourist. If you believe what the TaT say you must be as trustworthy as them. Ist they tell us there prediction of a high tourist number is what they say then they admit they miss calculated, then we hear staff are losing there jobs because of the drop in tourist numbers. So who is telling the truth. It is the pure greed of the tuk tuk and most tourist related locals that have cost phuket and in particuler Patong your reputation of a world class destination now it is just a crime ridden rip off s t hole that is fading fast. At the end of the day you can't soar with the Eagles when your flying with Turkeys. Incidently 1 of the headlines on thai visa was the tat is attemting to bring more koreans into holiday in thailand was this before they bib impunded 1 of there planes and arrested the korean crew ha ha come thailand embrace's you.

Let's be clear, I simply said I doubted that TAT would actually say those things, not that those things are not true, big difference. Whilst stories such as the one being discussed here are reported by local papers I don't see that the same news reaches the national dailies. Similarly, the problems are complained about at the local level and whilst it's often reported that TAT is aware of them, I wonder if TAT is really and truly aware of them on an official basis because as in the case of the jet ski issues, when problems such as this are escalated, something tends to get done about them.

Edited by chiang mai

Incidently 1 of the headlines on thai visa was the tat is attemting to bring more koreans into holiday in thailand was this before they bib impunded 1 of there planes and arrested the korean crew ha ha come thailand embrace's you.
You do know there are 2 Korea's?

hehehe, arriving New York 17 years old travelling with my grandfather 70+ (the old man not speaking a word english) I was scammed by an airport taxi. Took me 2 hours to understand why the taxi didnt want to drop us off outside Holiday Inn Manhattan, but around the corner. First and last :)

Ok, apparently I've got the mentality of a 17 year old first time traveler. Why'd he drop you around the corner?

Taxididnt use the meter, but showed me a book with an insane price. 17 year old and never touched a US dollar before I just accepted the price. So we where dropped around the corner for the taxi to not be seen by hotel staff.

Great trip though, touring the us 5 weeks with grand dad :D

In my last two tours of LOS, I spent a lot more time in Patts, and other places, and much less in Phuket. The tuk tuk monopoly on transportation is part of the reason for the changes I made.

In Pattaya, there is loads of affordable accommodations, and no problem getting from one place to another by baht bus, mb taxi, or taxi. All very affordable. Being easy to get around gives you the cholce of finding accommodations that suit your tastes and budget, without being too restricted by location.

Chiang Mai is similar. BKK is great with meter taxis, skytrain, and subway. Hua Hin not so bad. Samui, not so good, but not as bad as Phuket.

In Phuket, if you try to save money by getting your room up on Nanai, or in one of the villages, like Kamala, then you are at the mercy of the tuk tuks to get around to the night life venues. The cost you save on a room all gets spent on tuk tuk fares, so at the end of the day, you lose either way.

Of course, the anwer is to rent a MB. But when you consider how many accidents happen, it is a big risk, IMHO. I've already been in an accident in Patong, so well understand that.

For me, the tuk tuk mafia is a very big strike against Phuket.