Not The Phuket Versus Chiang Mai Thread!

jackr

Just read the Chiang Mai Mail thread for the first time after overlooking it initially.

Harmonica, a bit OT don’t you think? Yeah, Chiang Mai really is the pits when it comes to pollution but that’s the way it is; much like Phuket is the way it is when it comes to being ripped-off and surrounded by the people you obviously like being surrounded by? and Phuket is full of dogs as well ol’ mate… the pretty ones are the blokes in frock, or is that what you’re getting at?

You must’ve realised the pollution thing before you set foot here? Even if you didn’t, don’t blame others for loving the place! You’re either a beach or a mountain person. Beaches are great if you’re into diving or have a place on the beach and like to chinwag with nobs from home (Phuket) – not you damnaam - and mountains are for the more discerning type who hanker for peace and serenity. The city of Chiang Mai is not serenity but it has bags of character, unique to most other towns in Thailand, and is very near to some cracking spots!

Weather-wise, Chiang Mai knocks spots off the south. Yeah, it’s as hot as <deleted> right now but after the brief spell of rain (relatively) it’s cool for months and stays dry for ages. I lived in the south for 3 years and found the climate oppressive and too rainy. Must admit, I did find the locals friendlier down in the south although many will disagree I suspect.

At the end of the day, Harmonica, you’re being a troll for blatantly slagging off Chiang Mai folk for your shortcomings. If Phuket makes you happy, just do it. I wouldn’t hang around in a place I didn’t like even if I’d set a timeline. There are some top blokes on here and if you continue with your meaningless tirade I will be forced to give you a slap! I’m a short arse but really enjoy putting 6 footers on their arse.

Take it easy.

jackr

[ I’m a short arse but really enjoy putting 6 footers on their arse.

Take it easy.

jackr

Yeah, he's a short arse - so come on :o

Seriously though, there's no argument. Chiang Mai is way ahead of Phuket in terms of a true essence of Thailand. I rate it way above Phuket. Unfortunately for me though, being a diving instructor, there is no diving to be had in the region. If there were I'd settle in CM, or at least that region, like a shot. Love it!

Good to meet you jackr, til next time.....

PD :D

Actuallly the pollution is beginning to ease. This (Tuesday) morning I can see the mountains from work. The recent bit of rain must have tamped down the forest fires, and people have probably burned up most everything they thought needed to be burned.

A couple of days after that rain, it was quite noticeable that green was starting to return to the countryside.

Just a couple of more weeks before the rains really start, and our environment turns cleaner and greener again.

I can't wait :o

Sorry Jack, I have never been to Phuket (except to fly back from Ko Phi Phi, but I have been more or less everywhere else (except Issan). When I decided to break out of Bangkok I set my final two choices as CM & Hui Hin,

I found Hui Hin to be two damned hot and settled for CM , because it is generally cooler. I knew about the polution problem to a certain extent, but I smoke 40 Cigs a day so I felt that if I would probably not be that much worse off. Also Hui Hin MUST have the biggest poplation of retired Farang in LOS. Not to my liking I am afraid. Where I live now there are about 5 Farang or less and that suits me fine, The people are freindly (in my estimation) and things are generally 30% cheaper than Bangkok, then there is my other love the C.M. Saloon (when I am well enough to get there). I dont think they have EVER let me leave sober, lucky I have a wife that dont drink!

Anyway, I can go on holiday to the islands when I choose to, my favourite being Ko Chang. Anyway enough of this drivel, I am going a bit off topic so Im calling it

Chaing Mai verses ANYWHERE. I aint going nowhere La La La La

Cheers

TP

Just read the Chiang Mai Mail thread for the first time after overlooking it initially.

Harmonica, a bit OT don’t you think? Yeah, Chiang Mai really is the pits when it comes to pollution but that’s the way it is; much like Phuket is the way it is when it comes to being ripped-off and surrounded by the people you obviously like being surrounded by? and Phuket is full of dogs as well ol’ mate… the pretty ones are the blokes in frock, or is that what you’re getting at?

You must’ve realised the pollution thing before you set foot here? Even if you didn’t, don’t blame others for loving the place! You’re either a beach or a mountain person. Beaches are great if you’re into diving or have a place on the beach and like to chinwag with nobs from home (Phuket) – not you damnaam - and mountains are for the more discerning type who hanker for peace and serenity. The city of Chiang Mai is not serenity but it has bags of character, unique to most other towns in Thailand, and is very near to some cracking spots!

Weather-wise, Chiang Mai knocks spots off the south. Yeah, it’s as hot as <deleted> right now but after the brief spell of rain (relatively) it’s cool for months and stays dry for ages. I lived in the south for 3 years and found the climate oppressive and too rainy. Must admit, I did find the locals friendlier down in the south although many will disagree I suspect.

At the end of the day, Harmonica, you’re being a troll for blatantly slagging off Chiang Mai folk for your shortcomings. If Phuket makes you happy, just do it. I wouldn’t hang around in a place I didn’t like even if I’d set a timeline. There are some top blokes on here and if you continue with your meaningless tirade I will be forced to give you a slap! I’m a short arse but really enjoy putting 6 footers on their arse.

Take it easy.

jackr

Why aren't you in school, shorty? Do your parents know what you're doing?

Take it easy.

jackr

Take it easy.

jackr

(Quote Harmonica)

THai Pauly

Come On Harm, what sort of response is THIS, its nothing but a flame, you are a very bright guy, if you are going to blow Jack's theory to Kingdom Come at least do it with the style in which we have become accustomed TP

Take it easy.

jackr

(Quote Harmonica)

THai Pauly

Come On Harm, what sort of response is THIS, its nothing but a flame, you are a very bright guy, if you are going to blow Jack's theory to Kingdom Come at least do it with the style in which we have become accustomed TP

Hehehehe, OK ThaiPauly -- I'll answer Jack in the next post.

Take it easy.

jackr

Jack,

Mountains or ocean? Actually I've had plenty of both and like both -- ocean? ... lived in Santa Monica, right off the beach for a very long time. Phuket was both fortuitous & serendipitous! Mountains? .... in Bolivia, Ecuador & Guatemala.

CM had intrigued me on short trips during the last few years -- but I had never been here during the dry, hot season. Consequently I had zip experience.

I am not a retiree; neither do I work nor need to work a conventional job -- I can therefore, basically live anywhere I want & thus far have done so on & off for almost 20 years. So, in light of this I was therefore thoroughly disgusted to end up in ######, especially considering that I just left Heaven.

There will be no revisiting the Pollution equation for me anymore -- its a done deal -- I've made my decision to leave at the end of one year and that is the way it will be. You suggested I should leave immediately and I do agree with you -- were I still single, I'd leave within a second of discovering my plight. But I made numerous commitments for my TGF and she is thriving here. She has agreed on the one year deal. I'm going to honor it 100%.

So, all the best to you and the other fellas here -- I'm movin on!

:o

Take it easy.

jackr

Jack,

Mountains or ocean? Actually I've had plenty of both and like both -- ocean? ... lived in Santa Monica, right off the beach for a very long time. Phuket was both fortuitous & serendipitous! Mountains? .... in Bolivia, Ecuador & Guatemala.

CM had intrigued me on short trips during the last few years -- but I had never been here during the dry, hot season. Consequently I had zip experience.

I am not a retiree; neither do I work nor need to work a conventional job -- I can therefore, basically live anywhere I want & thus far have done so on & off for almost 20 years. So, in light of this I was therefore thoroughly disgusted to end up in ######, especially considering that I just left Heaven.

There will be no revisiting the Pollution equation for me anymore -- its a done deal -- I've made my decision to leave at the end of one year and that is the way it will be. You suggested I should leave immediately and I do agree with you -- were I still single, I'd leave within a second of discovering my plight. But I made numerous commitments for my TGF and she is thriving here. She has agreed on the one year deal. I'm going to honor it 100%.

So, all the best to you and the other fellas here -- I'm movin on!

:o

Hope Phuket works out for you, Harmonica.

This (Friday) morning was beautiful -- clear blue skies, white cumulus clouds, clear air. While it's certainly hot, the "weather" has improved greatly. People are done burning and getting ready to plant and that shows what the bulk of CM's pollution is -- dust and particulate matter. At any rate, it's a h*ll of a lot better this week!