Where Is There A Good Western-style Bar In Sakon Nakhon?

Jezz

Spent a couple of weeks there in October and I didn't find anywhere. There is an outside bar at the MJ Hotel, but I only ever saw one or two expats there. Some tourists came through, I think one of the expats was involved in their travel arrangements. MJ also has a nightly Karaoke style entertainment thing going, never saw more than a dozen people in a room which could hold a hunderd people or more

Spent a couple of weeks there in October and I didn't find anywhere. There is an outside bar at the MJ Hotel, but I only ever saw one or two expats there. Some tourists came through, I think one of the expats was involved in their travel arrangements. MJ also has a nightly Karaoke style entertainment thing going, never saw more than a dozen people in a room which could hold a hunderd people or more

Thanks. I know where this is.

The only Farang bar in the city is the Toon Army bar, not far from Golden pond. Then there is Eddies bar which is about 5 kilometers from Sakon Nakon on the Muckdaharn road.

The Toon army bar has just been taken over again by a Welsh lad Paul and his wife Julie.

The MJ is ok for a drink.

Geordie

Edited by geordie

The only Farang bar in the city is the Toon Army bar, not far from Golden pond. Then there is Eddies bar which is about 5 kilometers from Sakon Nakon on the Muckdaharn road.

The Toon army bar has just been taken over again by a Welsh lad Paul and his wife Julie.

The MJ is ok for a drink.

Geordie

Thanks a lot. At least we have a little choice. Cheers.

I was in Sakhon Nahkon briefly 5 years ago and never found Toon Army bar - but with a name like that, it must have been frequented or even opened by my old mate from Newcastle "Billy Mac" - I am just wondering if he is you Geordie ? Or if anyone knows where he is ? Or my other mate Keith (ex UK). He/they would remember me as aussie Peter (AKA Sparky) now living and married for years in Chiang Mai. Will have a coldie in Toon Army bar next time I visit Sak Nak. Cheers !

I was in Sakhon Nahkon briefly 5 years ago and never found Toon Army bar - but with a name like that, it must have been frequented or even opened by my old mate from Newcastle "Billy Mac" - I am just wondering if he is you Geordie ? Or if anyone knows where he is ? Or my other mate Keith (ex UK). He/they would remember me as aussie Peter (AKA Sparky) now living and married for years in Chiang Mai. Will have a coldie in Toon Army bar next time I visit Sak Nak. Cheers !

Toon army bar was previously called Neds bar and opened maybe 3 or 4 years ago. Can't remember the Geordie lads name that had it recently but he was quite young.

The bar first opened about 5 years ago , Ned was a young Irish lad. Graham took it over about 1 year ago he was from Gatesheasd (NEWCASTLE) thats where the name Toon army came from, he was a keen Newcastle supporter.

The bar like i said has just been taken over by Paul and Julie ( welsh lad)

I am not Billy mac infact i have never heard of him, i lived in Sakon for about 6 years moved about 1 1/2 years ago best move i have ever made, but everyone to there own.

Geordie

Thanks Geordie and others for news about Toon Army bar. Billy Mac would be mid sixties in age now - ex army and hailed from Newcastle too. He was my best mate in Sak Nahk 15 years ago. Obviously not him that opened the bar. I too left Sak Nak after 6 months and it too was the best move I ever made. Thanks agin all. peterdigger in Chiang Mai.

• 3 months later...

I generally visit Sakon Nakhon every Xmas with the wife to see her family. I have heard of of the Toon Army bar, but not been able to find it. Does anyone know the actual address?

We always stay at MJ. How far is from there?

The Toon Army bar is now called the welcome bar run by Paul and Julie.

If you go to www.sakonnakhon-live.com at the top of the page click Welcome Bar there is a map and some imformation with phone number.

It is only a short walk from Golden pond.

Geordie

From the MJ turn left, stay on that street to the stop light. Turn left at the stop light then at the second stop light on the main street (first light no left) turn right (left to Nae Kae). It's about a 100 meters on the right. Hope it's not too confusing.