Chiang Mai Forum

MonsieurHulot

<snip> the forum would be better off without the foul-language ( disguised or otherwise ) <snip>

&lt;deleted&gt; that! :)

I could say that the forum would be better off without excessively sensitive prudes. But I don't believe that. I believe that, as far as reasonable, inclusiveness trumps exclusiveness. I think the TV forum has found a reasonable balance when it comes to language and subject matter. The moderators have a light touch and I like that, though I'd like it more if it were a little lighter still.

light touch? some maybe...

I mostly only spend time at the CM forum so that's all I can comment on. Perhaps you're thinking of other parts of TV. In any case, like I said: lighter would be better still. That's all I'll say, because we're not supposed to be discussing moderation issue, and for good reason. I do wish, though that there was a sub forum exclusively for that discussion and that it's appropriate to ban everywhere else.

Yes agree with that...

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<snip> the forum would be better off without the foul-language ( disguised or otherwise ) <snip>

&lt;deleted&gt; that! :D

I could say that the forum would be better off without excessively sensitive prudes. But I don't believe that. I believe that, as far as reasonable, inclusiveness trumps exclusiveness. I think the TV forum has found a reasonable balance when it comes to language and subject matter. The moderators have a light touch and I like that, though I'd like it more if it were a little lighter still.

I love some of the strange rules, like the one about bad language. Bad language is not allowed unless it's combined with bad-spelling!!! It's either allowed or not, why would mis-spelling make any difference?  :D

Even funnier is the notion that BOLD text is interpreted as shouting and people actually get bothered by it!! :)

I love some of the strange rules, like the one about bad language. Bad language is not allowed unless it's combined with bad-spelling!!! It's either allowed or not, why would mis-spelling make any difference? :D

Even funnier is the notion that BOLD text is interpreted as shouting and people actually get bothered by it!! :)

Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at an Elingsh uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, olny taht the frist and lsat ltteres are at the rghit pcleas. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae we do not raed ervey lteter by ilstef, but the wrod as a wlohe.

Hvae a wrod wtih Fernch cnnoectoin

hel_l gets auto corrected here but does heaven, how about jesus

<snip>

I love some of the strange rules, like the one about bad language. Bad language is not allowed unless it's combined with bad-spelling!!! It's either allowed or not, why would mis-spelling make any difference?  :) <snip

I think swear words kind of loose their edge when they're misspelled, like when a five-year-old uses one. That's one of the reasons South Park is funny.

<snip>

I love some of the strange rules, like the one about bad language. Bad language is not allowed unless it's combined with bad-spelling!!! It's either allowed or not, why would mis-spelling make any difference? :) <snip

I think swear words kind of loose their edge when they're misspelled, like when a five-year-old uses one. That's one of the reasons South Park is funny.

that loose not lose was intentional write?

Heres one for you stats guys

I had a first play with the Guardian APIs yesterday, and was pleasantly surprised by how simple and effective they were. I'm not one of those Ruby-on-Rails kids who mashes Google up with the Facebook in between grinding a fat half-pipe on an ollie; even I found them really great to work with.

And, being the kind of childish individual who still gets kicks out of looking rude words up in the dictionary, I decided to use the API to examine changes in obscenity in the last 10 years.

To do this, I took a group of common swear-words, and searched The Guardian archives for the number of articles containing each one for each of the last 10 years. This gave me an idea for the prevalence of the word, without being overly affected by, say, the vulgar rantings of Mr Brooker. I then divided this number by the total number of articles available for that year - giving the percentage of Guardian content containing each profanity, and accounting for the fact that the total volume of digital content, and by extension UK liberal coarseness, has grown year on year.

I present the results below. Good news! The y-axis runs from 0 to 0.9%; even a liberal rag like the Grauniad seems to be pretty resistant to the tidal wave of filth which some might have you believe is flooding the English language nowadays.

A few observations:

Swearing is growing slowly year-on-year, across the board;

Unusually, in 2001, swearing stayed more-or-less level. Bastard declined after 2001 - probably an after-effect of 9/11, after which most other swearing grew;

Wank is massively underperforming over the last decade, whilst cock is flat;

Shit has grown disproportionately and steadily since 2005, whilst fuc_k has gone as far as it can;

Edited by sagaris

Maybe you need to learn netiquette Kevin as good manners online should be as necessary as good manners in person.

Unless good manners in any form is not of interest to you?

Good manners is of no interest to me? Where did you get that from?

Did you ever see me using profanities, mis-spelt or otherwise? I don't need others to tell me about ettiquette, my mother taught me that already. I have no need for bold or all-capitals as a means of expressing anger since I never get angry. :D  Netiquette or not , I still find it amusing that people interpret all caps as shouting. Leave the caps lock on and people are saying 'Alright, I heard you. No need to shout!!!'   :D

Anyway, I'm off to 'work' so I hope you enjoy your evening. Happy New Year to all. :)

Edited by KevinHunt

Just got back from Beruit, erm, I mean Thaipae Gate, gosh my head is ringing. The count down was good (although no one noticed until we were at 8 seconds and counting!). The fireworks were pretty, but too low so as you looked up at them your eyes were filled with ash from the last set - never happens anywhere else, is it becuase they are detonated too low, or just because they are set directly above the crowds? Usual muppets throwing bangers and people setting off large Chinese pyrothechnics in the middle of the road - defening everyone and showering all in sparks and cordite - and tuk tuk ignoring the pedestrian only cordoning off.

However, a good night anyways - HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!!!!!! May 2010 bring you a new Visa extension and may your in-laws buffalows be healthy all year round :)

I love some of the strange rules, like the one about bad language. Bad language is not allowed unless it's combined with bad-spelling!!! It's either allowed or not, why would mis-spelling make any difference? :D

1. If you love, as you say, the strange rules then abide by them. It's what all posters signed up to. I was going to put "all" in capitals but I did not want to upset you.

2. The rules comment on bad language. It is incorrect for you to assume and interpret that as meaning only correctly spelt words are covered.

3. Accept gracefully the advice given to you about Netiquette.

4. Personally I agree with swazibird, the forum would be better off without the foul languagev or people repeating it in their own posts.

caf

Just got back from Beruit, erm, I mean Thaipae Gate, gosh my head is ringing. The count down was good (although no one noticed until we were at 8 seconds and counting!). The fireworks were pretty, but too low so as you looked up at them your eyes were filled with ash from the last set - never happens anywhere else, is it becuase they are detonated too low, or just because they are set directly above the crowds? Usual muppets throwing bangers and people setting off large Chinese pyrothechnics in the middle of the road - defening everyone and showering all in sparks and cordite - and tuk tuk ignoring the pedestrian only cordoning off.

However, a good night anyways - HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!!!!!! May 2010 bring you a new Visa extension and may your in-laws buffalows be healthy all year round :D

I wish you wouldn't refer to my inlaws kids like that! (actually I don't have in-laws but never mind) :)

However, a good night anyways - HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!!!!!! May 2010 bring you a new Visa extension and may your in-laws buffalows be healthy all year round :D

If they are sick you are told they need money for the vet. If they are not sick you are told that they need more money for feed as the buffalo has developed such a healthy appetite. :)

And a very happy new year to everyone. On Kevin's advice I have resisted putting that in bold but that is not to say that I did not want to do so.

Oh to h..ell with it. It is the season of goodwill . HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE

caf

The way I see it, a forum like this has two main purposes. To help people obtain information they need about something, which in this case is Chiang Mai. Or to engage in discussion and social interactions. I can understand why people give opinions and maybe even get emotional about certain issues like politics or religion, and I have engaged in these kinds of thing myself sometimes. What I don't understand is why, when someone asks some thing like how to get to the train station or how much something costs or something like that, there are still people who will find some way to give some kind of sarcastic or nasty comment. I do not understand the mentality of these people. They must be very bored or have too much free time if they have nothing better to do than this. In my opinion, this is the one thing which would destroy a forum like this, even more than the supposed trolls.

Sometimes you have to have relatively thick skin here ( and all the tv forums) but I agree with you, I don't understand the mentality of those "who will find some way to give some kind of sarcastic or nasty comment." Usually it is when you disagree them. The more you respond as in a proper debate, the more they attack. A humourous response is fine in my opinion. But if you diagree with their view and try to lighten it with humour they often respond irresponsibly. Their rule seems to be: We can make humourous remarks but if you respond in kind it will ruffle our feathers and we don't like it.

As Bigwheelman said "It is these clicky members that spoil the enjoyment of Thaivisa for others, who don't seem to be letting other members have as much say. It is simply down to that they are being pushed out."

They actually do let them have their say, they do not stop them posting, but they keep going for them at every opportunity.

The clique as he refers to, is actually only a small number. If they were more tolerant of others' opinions it would be better.

caf

Sometimes you have to have relatively thick skin here ( and all the tv forums) but I agree with you, I don't understand the mentality of those "who will find some way to give some kind of sarcastic or nasty comment."

caf, you constantly insult and provoke Kevin Hunt for no good reason and everyone knows it.

Now, you have attacked me on another thread with some nasty remarks - although you insist that it is "just a humorous remark".

You do all the exact same things that you complain about on here constantly. Have you ever considered a little professional help? :)

A bit light on facts. A bit heavy on knee jerk reactions.

You need to read more. There are several good book shops in Chiangmai. Try Geeko. :D

See, I'm even giving you a plug. Just be a bit more open minded.

I enjoyed Wolf’s comment on the Tai Pei gate area sounding like Beruit. It DID sound like a war zone. I survived another fun evening where I bounced back and forth between my two favourite bars. And, I spent far more than I had intended... what else is new. There were Lots of crazy fireworks along Loi Kroh road. Fortunately, I only got stung by a few fire crackers and those bombs set in coconut shells. I ducked under cover when a lantern with exploding fireworks got hung up in the wires over head. I wonder how many missing limbs there are today? I'll bet the Thai hospitals everywhere were busy last night. I told my daughter in Canada what goes on here on New Year’s Eve and she went into her usual indignant self and proclaimed ... "That shouldn't be allowed!"

Lots of luck! This is Thailand where the only rule is there are no rules... Just like the old wild west in North America... where only the strong survived.

I DID ride my bike into town, but parked it in the outer fringe where I wouldn't be locked in by traffic and triple parked vehicles. It was fairly sensible in the downtown core by 4AM... despite all the drunks. You just have to detour around them like markers on a down hill ski race.

Right now my lady friend is sleeping off a bad hangover, so until she surfaces I’ll be sitting here at the computer. I only drink in moderation so I'm okay.

I hope you all had a good, safe night and here's to a more prosperous new year for everyone.

Sometimes you have to have relatively thick skin here ( and all the tv forums) but I agree with you, I don't understand the mentality of those "who will find some way to give some kind of sarcastic or nasty comment."

caf, you constantly insult and provoke Kevin Hunt for no good reason and everyone knows it.

Now, you have attacked me on another thread with some nasty remarks - although you insist that it is "just a humorous remark".

You do all the exact same things that you complain about on here constantly. Have you ever considered a little professional help? :)

A bit light on facts. A bit heavy on knee jerk reactions.

You need to read more. There are several good book shops in Chiangmai. Try Geeko. :D

See, I'm even giving you a plug. Just be a bit more open minded.

I took Oneman's advice and use the 'ignore user' option. Worth thinking about, but don't forget to 'Block User' from PM box too.  :D

Maybe you need to learn netiquette Kevin as good manners online should be as necessary as good manners in person.

Unless good manners in any form is not of interest to you?

Good manners is of no interest to me? Where did you get that from?

Did you ever see me using profanities, mis-spelt or otherwise? I don't need others to tell me about ettiquette, my mother taught me that already. I have no need for bold or all-capitals as a means of expressing anger since I never get angry. :D Netiquette or not , I still find it amusing that people interpret all caps as shouting. Leave the caps lock on and people are saying 'Alright, I heard you. No need to shout!!!' :D

Anyway, I'm off to 'work' so I hope you enjoy your evening. Happy New Year to all. :)

I have to admit I find the capital letters as shouting/offensive thing hilarious myself. I know it's commonly accepted as such and I'm the odd man out, but really, should anyone at all care at all about such things. Haven't we all got more important things to worry about? If you don't then you're truly blessed.

I have to admit I find the capital letters as shouting/offensive thing hilarious myself. I know it's commonly accepted as such and I'm the odd man out, but really, should anyone at all care at all about such things. Haven't we all got more important things to worry about? If you don't then you're truly blessed.

I must be blessed then. :)

But seriously, I don't mind all caps, no caps at all, no punctuation, or bad spelling.

I do however appreciate it when posters take the trouble to format their posts properly, spell correctly (or at least make the effort), punctuate reasonably and when they disagree, do so without being disagreeable. I think it's the polite thing to do and shows respect towards fellow visitors.

On the other hand I'll take a badly formatted, misspelt, unpunctuated, all caps post against no post at all, any day of the week.

The mean, disagreeable posts—those I wouldn't miss. Well maybe just a little.

p.s. Did I misspell 'misspelt'? If so, I apologize.