What To Grow

Jeff1

The locals are resistant to change,it needs someone to show them the way and then the whole village will participate.

Around here they were unsure about tobacco and now evetyone grows it as a second crop.

Feedlot cattle does sound very interesting but it also sounds very expensive, to get a start in.

I wonder what the costs would be to purchase say ten head, vet expences, feed expences, transprotation expenses and the what the potential return might be and how many years before you see that return. The beef I buy here in Udon comes from Khan Kean and is excellent I currently pay 290 baht a Kilo for serloin.

Now that sounds like fun a meeting in Udon sounds great. I can talk bike and have been know to shoot the bull. Just looking for a way for the wife to have a descent life when I get toasted at that what.

Ray, my ozzy mate is a member of the co-op feed-lotting charolaise ,he lives Roi-et but is on holiday in Oz until 20/5.I have a bit of knowledge of the op only because he runs things by me .

The processing factory and head office is in Sakhon Nakhon, all special feed is provided through the co-op(pineapple,mollasses chaff,meal mix) ,grass /rice hay grower supplies. They have an inspection team who visit and provide vet care,castrations etc and make the decision when animal at premium for slaughter, transport provided by processor,they prefer animal at approx 800kg l/w.price is set at about 120 bt live over scales. I will be Udon early next month ,maybe we can meet up and talk cows and motor bikes.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The locals are resistant to change,it needs someone to show them the way and then the whole village will participate.

Around here they were unsure about tobacco and now evetyone grows it as a second crop.

If I was to bring some tobacco seeds from the U.S. , would they grow in Issan ?

Feedlot cattle does sound very interesting but it also sounds very expensive, to get a start in.

I wonder what the costs would be to purchase say ten head, vet expences, feed expences, transprotation expenses and the what the potential return might be and how many years before you see that return. The beef I buy here in Udon comes from Khan Kean and is excellent I currently pay 290 baht a Kilo for serloin.

Now that sounds like fun a meeting in Udon sounds great. I can talk bike and have been know to shoot the bull. Just looking for a way for the wife to have a descent life when I get toasted at that what.

Ray, my ozzy mate is a member of the co-op feed-lotting charolaise ,he lives Roi-et but is on holiday in Oz until 20/5.I have a bit of knowledge of the op only because he runs things by me .

The processing factory and head office is in Sakhon Nakhon, all special feed is provided through the co-op(pineapple,mollasses chaff,meal mix) ,grass /rice hay grower supplies. They have an inspection team who visit and provide vet care,castrations etc and make the decision when animal at premium for slaughter, transport provided by processor,they prefer animal at approx 800kg l/w.price is set at about 120 bt live over scales. I will be Udon early next month ,maybe we can meet up and talk cows and motor bikes.

ozzydom

Do they supply/sell the breeding stock? Do you have a name of the company?

Cheers RC

Cheers RC the head honcho is a german chap with a pretty huge herd up Kalasin way,I think they can let you know who has stock available ,usually thai,s who cant afford to buy grass feed during dry spells. The company is PON-YANG-KHRAM Livestock Breeding Cop-operative Thai French Beef Production.

Look at http://www.thaiair.com/flying/inflight-offer-ponyangkam.htm for a self explanatory article on the operation.

cheers dom

Cheers Ray, the better half is on the way to Sawang Daen Din tonight to sort out the land situation and I will drive over after I do my 12 monther due in a week or so.We have been renovating the house in the village and will make the move later on. Will PM you when I know the ETA.Am considering a couple of days in Vientienne on the way..

Cheers Dom

Ozzydom

Been looking at a few sites on the web about it (not a lot around) but it looks like they do them up in Tak wich is a LOT closer to me but they are Bramin/Charolais crosses. They had help from some Aussy scheme and have even registered it as a new breed the Tak Charolias.

I know a guy up the road that was trying to get into it but have'nt seen him in a while. At 120 bhat live weight its worth thinking about that works out at 96,000 bhat for a 800kg cow. I only get about 24,000 for a 700kg ex milker. They are supposed to have an excellent FCR (food convertion ratio) so they gain weight quickly but even so I would assume that 800 kg has to be at least 3 years old.

Anyway thanks for the info.

If I was to bring some tobacco seeds from the U.S. , would they grow in Issan ?

Jeff

there are huge numbers of tobacco growers in Nong Khai Province,contracted to the State monopoly.They grow it as a second crop in the cool/summer seasons.

ozzydom

Do they supply/sell the breeding stock? Do you have a name of the company?

Cheers RC

Cheers RC the head honcho is a german chap with a pretty huge herd up Kalasin way,I think they can let you know who has stock available ,usually thai,s who cant afford to buy grass feed during dry spells. The company is PON-YANG-KHRAM Livestock Breeding Cop-operative Thai French Beef Production.

Look at http://www.thaiair.com/flying/inflight-offer-ponyangkam.htm for a self explanatory article on the operation.

cheers dom

Ozzydom,

thatwebsite quoted is no longer online, I was wondering if you had the full postal address of PON-YANG-KHRAM ? We breed beef cows in Udon but are looking to increase the size, as well as the number, of our cows.

Cheers,

bannork.

• 1 month later...
all input welcome

Chillies, peppers, spring onions, shallots, marrows, melons, cucumbers, tomatoes, bananas, papaya, aubergines, mangoes (longer term). We grow them all in Sisaket - have plenty of water.

Has somebody tried avocado? My friend tried in Phuket; it's sprouted we'll see...

If you do a keyword search on 'avacado' you'll find quite a few posts on the subject and the short answer is that yes you can grow avacados in Thailand.

For several years I have looked at the returns against the effort needed to produce various crops in northern Isaan

Reluctantly,I had to concede that no short term crop produced a seriously worthwhile return financially.Rice gives a staple food and some years worthwhile spare bags for sale but cannot seriously be grown for profit.

A few crops do well in some years coffee,some fruit,tobacco etc but cannot be relied on,year in year out.

Rubber is the only crop I would venture into and then only an established plantation (too old to wait 7 years for the return!)even at the relatively high cost these fetch.

Tobacco:As a life long non smoker and having seen so many local Thais dieing from cancer;I could never consider growing this crop.

I wish you all luck on finding something worthwhile to grow/produce that is not done for love as I know of nothing that will make real money.

For several years I have looked at the returns against the effort needed to produce various crops in northern Isaan

Reluctantly,I had to concede that no short term crop produced a seriously worthwhile return financially.Rice gives a staple food and some years worthwhile spare bags for sale but cannot seriously be grown for profit.

A few crops do well in some years coffee,some fruit,tobacco etc but cannot be relied on,year in year out.

Rubber is the only crop I would venture into and then only an established plantation (too old to wait 7 years for the return!)even at the relatively high cost these fetch.

Tobacco:As a life long non smoker and having seen so many local Thais dieing from cancer;I could never consider growing this crop.

I wish you all luck on finding something worthwhile to grow/produce that is not done for love as I know of nothing that will make real money.

I think you are probably right. There are lots of really poor farmers in Isaan and I think you have discoverd why. Animal husbandry is not on your list and is a posibility.......but my recommendation is to find something you love to do and then make money doing that...even if you make less money you will be much happier in life.

what about cherry tomatoes??? some guy just went back recently with piles of seeds that he took from a batch of cherry tomatoes (not hot house types) saying they are expensive in thailand; as for avocado, do thai eat them?? here they seem to hate the things, turning up their noses at them (the avocados)....but they are good feed for the cows (have to mash them with a tractor -- talking in tons, not kilos :o )

Alvacados are grown in the Chaing Ria and I believe Chaing Mia area. The tempature in Issan does not get low enough for them to bloom. You can have trees but no fruit.

Some of them grown are not good to the taste and are used fro pickeling, and I suppose cattle fodder but I haven't heard of that one before.

Edited by ray23

I heard that in India, a lot of the vegetables are grown using untreated human sewage as fertiliser (don't know how true this is), hence one reason why tourists get Delly Belly there. Apparently the locals have developped some immunity to the Escherichia coli (E. coli) — or ETEC — bacteria that is found in faeces.

Does anyone know, what kind of fertiliser they use in Isaan for rice farming? Might go some way to explaining Bangkok Belly...

the only time sewage would bother u is if the fruit or veggie is touching or on contact w/ the water, the bacterias do not crawl up thru cell of the plant and get inside the plant...

just wash the veggies with that special soap and everything is fine (cant remember the name of soap)

I heard that in India, a lot of the vegetables are grown using untreated human sewage as fertiliser (don't know how true this is), hence one reason why tourists get Delly Belly there. Apparently the locals have developped some immunity to the Escherichia coli (E. coli) — or ETEC — bacteria that is found in faeces.

Does anyone know, what kind of fertiliser they use in Isaan for rice farming? Might go some way to explaining Bangkok Belly...

Katana

In Isaan they use granulated fertiliser that comes in bags for the rice fields, the same as anywhere in the west. They do not shit in the fields or use human excrement for fertiliser. They use toilets the same as you.

So I would suggest you look elsewhere to satisfy your theory on the source of Bangkok belly. Most of the ones that I have seen are caused through an overindulgence in beer. :o

Regards

Mandu

Mandi,

they use granulated fertiliser
Thanks for the info.
[travellers' diarrhoea] is caused through an overindulgence in beer.

Maybe you speak from experience... lol

Regards

Katana