Nikon 5000d Or Canon Eos 500d

aidenai

"We professionals don't even look at the software that comes with the cameras. Get a copy of Adobe Lightroom II if you're bulk editing, or Adobe PhotoShop CS4 if only ocassionally editing".

I could pull your leg and say 'I told you some camera geek would be along soon'!

My second thought was we aren't going to be pro's if we have 500Ds or 5Ds are we (nor am I, except for having sold wedding photos for a few friends weddings)?

My third thought was not to be so negative and get something out of the exchange. The version of Photoshop I looked at in some UK PC superstore cost several hundred pounds I seem to recall. Is CS4 cheaper than that and do you buty in Thialand or in falang land? Of course, I'm not allowed by forum rules to ask about where to buy a cheap knock-off copy but no doubt Phantip would have it if I knew what was worth buying :)

Edited by SantiSuk

Hi Folks

It's all bullshit really nowadays, but boils down to the fact of who has the best build quality of the body and who makes the best glass they may not be compatible unfortunately but thats life !! Do you prefer to drive a Porsche or a BMW ?? It's horses for courses my friends and at the end of the day it's more about the ability of the the artist behind the equipment and not the equipment itself to create a winning image. So unless you're the Schumacher of photography (but then I guess you'd be shooting with Hasselblad and a digital back) don't worry about the brand (canon v nikkon is like comparing the aforementioned cars and bears no relationship to the F1 models) it should be about what feels comfortable in your hands,with a menu system that feels intuitive to yourself and enables you to get the shots off.

Just cuz the Pros use one or the other is pretty much irrelevant they'll likely just stick with the kit they first adopted (it's a costly thing to change after the initial investment ) and are most familiar with that allows them to do the job in the most efficient manner.

Cheers for now J

Thanks for all your replies, ladies and gentlemen.

I've read the reviews (Canon 500D, Nikon D5000 and Nikon D90), downloaded the manuals and studied at them and as advised by one of our members will go to a shop in Bangkok and have a look at and feel the three cameras. I do have to say that the Nikon D90 has gotten my attention too.

I have no worries about software. I have Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 2.5, Adobe Photoshop CS4 Extended and ACDSee Pro 3.

I have no worries about software. I have Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 2.5, Adobe Photoshop CS4 Extended and ACDSee Pro 3.

I use ACDSee Pro 2.5. Is it worth the upgrade to Pro 3?

Do not have the other software that you mention only to add I use Photomatix Pro 3 for HDR etc..

Sawadee :)

I use ACDSee Pro 2.5. Is it worth the upgrade to Pro 3?

Do not have the other software that you mention only to add I use Photomatix Pro 3 for HDR etc..

Hi Kan Win,

Pro 3 is great as it can read my CR2 (RAW Canon) files and has great processing features in two menus. These are Develop and Edit. The comparison is with ACDSee 8.0 and 9.0 Photo Manager though.

Hi 'aidenai',

I jumped from ADCSee 5.0 to ADCSee Pro 2.5 and I use it for me Oly E-3 RAW photos as I take both RAW+JPG in the same shot.

Reason why I shoot in both modes, being I can use the JPG with Photomatix Pro 3 for HDR look-a-like using the "Exposure Fusion" button as well as the "Generate HDR image" with me RAW photos then back to ADCSee Pro 2.5 for final touch up.

Works fine for me.

"We professionals don't even look at the software that comes with the cameras. Get a copy of Adobe Lightroom II if you're bulk editing, or Adobe PhotoShop CS4 if only ocassionally editing".

I could pull your leg and say 'I told you some camera geek would be along soon'!

My second thought was we aren't going to be pro's if we have 500Ds or 5Ds are we (nor am I, except for having sold wedding photos for a few friends weddings)?

My third thought was not to be so negative and get something out of the exchange. The version of Photoshop I looked at in some UK PC superstore cost several hundred pounds I seem to recall. Is CS4 cheaper than that and do you buty in Thialand or in falang land? Of course, I'm not allowed by forum rules to ask about where to buy a cheap knock-off copy but no doubt Phantip would have it if I knew what was worth buying :)

I didn't realise that having made a living out of photography for almost 40 years disqualified me from having an opinion or offering advice or that I was a 'geek'.

Most pro's I know have a 5D or 5D11 as a back up body as it is full frame.

Yes a genuine copy of Adobe Creative Suite is expensive but you get what you pay for. Don't buy knock off copies - you can download them for a free trial <snip> PM me for details. 

Edited by jandtaa
possibly could be construed as condoning software piracy

Hi Folks

Really nowadays as straight up photographers without the need of so many CS4 features, which are mainly aimed at graphical artists, I feel you should be looking towards Adobe Lightroom or Aperture etc for the vast majority of your editing requirements, also saves a few quid.

cheers for now J

Hi Folks

Really nowadays as straight up photographers without the need of so many CS4 features, which are mainly aimed at graphical artists, I feel you should be looking towards Adobe Lightroom or Aperture etc for the vast majority of your editing requirements, also saves a few quid.

cheers for now J

As I mentioned in an earlier post. It still doesn't give you all the creative functions of CS4 though. I only use CS4 for individual 'tweaks'

Hi Endlessimages

No I agree you don't get the full creative range, maybe I should have said that it's a great starting point if you want to step up from your bundled software which comes with cameras. It's going to be a lot shallower learning curve than PS with most people being familiar with working sliders and seeing instant results (I only started using lightroom a couple of years ago but have been using PS for about 5 years. There are plenty of plugins etc... now available on the web and at each new release more tools for photographers are made available. Adobe software is well known to be fairly bloated and a bit of a RAM hog so Lightroom is a fork of the Creative Suite Software aimed strictly at photographers whilst CS4 includes 3D tools etc.. and is heavily biased towards web design.

cheers for now J 

I've got a Nikon D300 and some expensive lenses, but it's all sort of much to travel with and I wouldn't like it if it was stolen. Anyway, I was looking for a smaller camera to travel with. At first, I was looking at the Panisonic Lumix GF1 with a 20mm f.17 lens. About $899. Unfortunately, everyone seemed to be out of stock right before Christmas. So, I started looking around and found some good reviews on the new Pentax K-X with the kit lens. It takes HD movies at 720p as well as still photos, and has excellent low light sensitivity. Plus, you can use all the old Pentax lenses with it, although you may need an adapter for the old screw mount lenses. So, I figured what the heck and bought it on Amazon for $549. It's amazingly light and seems to do the job. And if it gets stolen, I can live with that.

Hi guys,

Thank you all for you advices and comments.

Yesterday I've been to a shop in Bangkok and had a look at the Canon 500D, the Nikon D5000 and the Nikon D90. Earlier I have studied on the reviews of these cameras and went through their manuals.

I left the shop with a Nikon D90 kit with a 18-105 lens.

Cheers.

Hi guys,

Yesterday I've been to a shop in Bangkok and had a look at the Canon 500D, the Nikon D5000 and the Nikon D90. Earlier I have studied on the reviews of these cameras and went through their manuals.

Cheers.

Good choice going with the D90. I have both the D90 and D5000. Congratulations!

• 4 months later...
Hi guys,

Cheers.

Good choice going with the D90. I have both the D90 and D5000. Congratulations!

Hi,

Can you pls tell me how much did you pay with the kit? Also, have you tried testing 'Hot Pixels' yet?

Thanks in advance.

Hi,

Can you pls tell me how much did you pay with the kit? Also, have you tried testing 'Hot Pixels' yet?

Thanks in advance.

I've bought the kit on the 9th January 2010. I've paid 37,500 THB (shop warranty) at Zoom Camera in Bangkok. The price has since dropped to 33,900 THB.

I haven't explored Hot Pixels.