What Is The Best Wood For Smoking?

callum06

Both mango and lamyai work very well...

Not sure about that. I had recalled that mango wood contained oils that could act as irritants. Just did a google and found this:

"Although limited in the

areas they can grow (India, Florida, Caribbean, Hawaii, etc.), Mango wood

is very popular for upper end wood products like bowls, vases, and even

some furniture. However, you are correct. Mango wood contains a sap

that is located at the base of the stem, branches, and trunk. As a result,

a recommendation is made never to burn mango wood as it emits a smoke

that is full of potent irritants. Plus, Mango trees are highly

suseptible to a number of diseases and pest infestations,

including the fruit fly, black twig borer, sooty mold, and

southern green stink bug to name a few. Pesticide application

is generally necessary to maintain the health of these trees.

Because of the chemical application, Mango wood does not make

for good BBQ!"

http://www.smokinlicious.com/blog/

Cold or warm smoking, as both need different wood.

I would be doing a hot smoke. I have tried rambutan wood, which gives a good taste but wanting to try something else.

All fruits wood will go, also with warm smoking keep the temperature as low as possible, burn the wood as well very slow that will benifit the taste.

One more thing: after marinaded meat or fish, put them in oil for 6 hours, prevent your meat or fish from drying during the smoking process.

Be sure to soak the wood chips in water for a few hours before using. Another trick is to place a pan of water on a rack below the meat you are smoking. it will produce steam that will ensure very moist meat.

Seems like this is a topic discussed a long time ago...........and I think the consensus was to use fruit trees and lamyai was at the top of the list.

There is a big difference, of course, between short and long smoking. By short, I mean up to 14 hours.......long comes after.

If short, you really only need to use the lamyai wood for the first two hours........then you can switch to charcoal. I say that because the meat is essentially sealed after two hours of smoking (you end up with that red ring).

The smoky taste will be there after two hours........no need for more wood.

But that is me........others will have a different opinion.

I would say avoid any wood that comes from anything that looks like a pine tree.

Thanks for the replies. Lamyai it is then.... needforspeed, please post some recipes for fish. I can't wait.

Callum 06, this recipes is for 6 salmon filet, so you need to divide to your quantity of fish you using.

Ingredients:

Sea Salt- 1,250 gr

Coarse black peper- 300 gr

Sugar- 180 gr

Fresh herbs:

Tarragon- 4 bundles

Coriander- 4 bundles

Dill- 8 bundles

- clean the fish, leave the skin but remove all bones with tweezers (when pull the bones out, pull same way as the bones are in the fish meat so you dont distroy your meat.

-Wash/ dry and cut the fresh herbs (not to fine( 1/2 cm)).

-Mix all ingredients.

-Spread over the Fish, the meat side not skin side. (45 Gr mix for 1 KG fish)

-Cover with plastic foil and for 20 Hours in the chiller.

-Remove all herbs and wash the fishfilet with cold water(just to clean from the herbs)

-Cold smoke 6 hours, (wood burn for about 15 minutes)

Enjoy

In Hawaii, they are aware that mango wood sap is indeed toxic as it has the same toxins as poison ivy/oak and if you have alergies to it, the smoke can cause resperatory shutdown.

We used to use guava wood for smoking meat/fish there....or any fruitwood.

In Hawaii, they are aware that mango wood sap is indeed toxic as it has the same toxins as poison ivy/oak and if you have alergies to it, the smoke can cause resperatory shutdown.

Few point the mango sap located in the stem, branches and trunk isn't toxic by itself but, this sap contains as it stores all pesticide/chemicals used on mango trees.

Other fruit trees dont store this chemicals in there sap.

Few point the mango sap located in the stem, branches and trunk isn't toxic by itself but, this sap contains as it stores all pesticide/chemicals used on mango trees.

Not true. Mango sap contains urushiol, the same irritant found in poison ivy and poison oak. In fact, the mango is in the same botanical family as poison ivy and poison sumac (Anacardiaceae). Here is a reference from the Hawai'ians:

http://www.nutritionatc.hawaii.edu/HO/2005/309.htm

Not true. Mango sap contains urushiol, the same irritant found in poison ivy and poison oak. In fact, the mango is in the same botanical family as poison ivy and poison sumac (Anacardiaceae). Here is a reference from the Hawai'ians:

http://www.nutritionatc.hawaii.edu/HO/2005/309.htm

Didnt said that it doesnt contain any other toxics, but it also stores the pesticides and chemicals in there sap.

Will look at your link, didnt know about that, thanks.

i am not being a kill joy , but is not smoking meat or fish carcinogenic ,

Seems like I have read that...........but it does not mean that if you eat it you will die of cancer (makes me wonder if the relationship is from breathing the smoke or eating the food).

From what I have seen over here, I would be more worried about the tons of pesticides they are putting on your food.

Also, the air that you are breathing.........full of so many toxic particles even Einstein would have a hard time counting them all.

Thanks for the tip on Mango........never heard that it was toxic.

i am not being a kill joy , but is not smoking meat or fish carcinogenic ,

Seems like I have read that...........but it does not mean that if you eat it you will die of cancer (makes me wonder if the relationship is from breathing the smoke or eating the food).

From what I have seen over here, I would be more worried about the tons of pesticides they are putting on your food.

Also, the air that you are breathing.........full of so many toxic particles even Einstein would have a hard time counting them all.

Thanks for the tip on Mango........never heard that it was toxic.

I was just asking because where i live they stopped smoking Fish because of the risk , i think there are certain woods that they use now , oak is one of them.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 years later...

Hate the revive such an old thread but are there plans for smokers to be made in Thailand. metal barrels with lids a firebox or even something similar to a Weber Smokey Mountain?   I saw a vendor selling charcoal making drums and one of him he had modified to look like a smoker I just don't know how to teach  future Thai sister-in-law gow to use a smoker for her cooking from a distant  country. is there a Thai smoking web link?

Edited by Elkski

I have 2 WSM.  I think I saw a version of a UDS on a guys truck in the village.  he was mainly  selling barrels for making charcoal.   but 1 looked like a smoker.    I've  since learned  that no one in the village could afford to buy even 1-2 pork baby back ribs.   Future sister in law has little  home cooking area.   in the village meal prices need to be 20-30 baht.  

But I would love to cook low and slow if and when I can visit.