Driving Phuket To Surat Thani

baht&sold

There's a somewhat new highway from midway to Krabi/Ao Nang to Surat Thani (which is 4 lanes and exits just south of Surat Thani junction). Then, there's the older, winding, mostly 2 lane route connecting from Surat thani junction and exits closer to Phuket end.

Which is the faster route to Surat thani, when driving from Phuket- I suspect it's the new highway, even tho it begins a few clicks further out of the way towards Krabi?

I agree, we've done both, the winding one gets heavy traffic and is in pretty bad shape. The one from Krabi brings you out close to the Don Sak Pier to Samui and is not heavily travelled (at least not when we went) and is in good condition (for now).

There's a somewhat new highway from midway to Krabi/Ao Nang to Surat Thani (which is 4 lanes and exits just south of Surat Thani junction). Then, there's the older, winding, mostly 2 lane route connecting from Surat thani junction and exits closer to Phuket end.

Which is the faster route to Surat thani, when driving from Phuket- I suspect it's the new highway, even tho it begins a few clicks further out of the way towards Krabi?

The fastest route, Phuket -Surat is:

Phuket - Phangnga, turn right follow on. 4km's before Thaphut turn right (small road) carry on for around 4 clicks, turn left follow on. You then come to a big 4 way intersection with a large PTT gas station. Go straight across (this is the old winding route!) Drive for 10 clicks, turn right towards Plaiphraya. Once you get to Plaiphraya, turn left and carry on for approx 5 clicks. You'll see the new 4 lane road on the right, join it and follow up all the way as far as Phunpin, come off here and it's approx 15km's into Surat. Shorter and faster than the routes mentioned so far.

Edited by VTR1000