England Squad - The 23

mommysboy

england's strongest starting XI is probably:

hart (in the absence of a real first choice)

johnson ferdinand terry cole a.

lampard barry

cole j. rooney gerrard

heskey

where the 3 behind heskey can swap and change positions and the 2 fullbacks bomb forward to give width to the attack. mobility of the 3 off heskey is where they'll cause teams problems if they're going to. only 4 real penalty takers in that line-up though. :D

I hope you are not including Defoe in that four :)

• Replies 488
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

was defoe in that line-up carmine?

i was counting lampard, barry, gerrard and rooney as it goes. seen ashley cole take a couple of decent ones before but i wouldn't trust johnson, ferdinand, terry or heskey with one.

Fair point Steve, was'nt looking close enough :)

lampard barry

cole j. rooney gerrard

heskey

where the 3 behind heskey can swap and change positions and the 2 fullbacks bomb forward to give width to the attack. mobility of the 3 off heskey is where they'll cause teams problems if they're going to. only 4 real penalty takers in that line-up though. :)

And now A. Cole out! just goes to show what a difference a few days can make. Amd J.Cole- well he can't make the subs bench last time I checked. Good team though.

Given that The Spurs and Villa players seem to be holding it together in the main, and are not handicapped by so many commitments, it could be they'll play a major part in the squad.

It's essential England fields an 'in form' keeper, and right now that looks like Hart.

lampard barry

cole j. rooney gerrard

heskey

where the 3 behind heskey can swap and change positions and the 2 fullbacks bomb forward to give width to the attack. mobility of the 3 off heskey is where they'll cause teams problems if they're going to. only 4 real penalty takers in that line-up though. :)

And now A. Cole out! just goes to show what a difference a few days can make. Amd J.Cole- well he can't make the subs bench last time I checked. Good team though.

Given that The Spurs and Villa players seem to be holding it together in the main, and are not handicapped by so many commitments, it could be they'll play a major part in the squad.

It's essential England fields an 'in form' keeper, and right now that looks like Hart.

With A Cole crocked i woud say it makes Milners inclusion in the squad is now 100% certain.

Re goalkeepers, yes Hart should go. But also, what about Kirkland. True, he's had injuries, but fit now and very much in form. James will always be a liability.

I think Milner is a certainty anyway- all things being equal- probably a very important England player for years to come.

Regarding the keeper situation. For me, James and Hart look assured. It's so important keepers inspire confidence. I can't believe what happened to Robinson, he looked like a truly world class England goalkeeper, and then!!!!

I agree Kirkland is good, but at this stage, it looks like the auditions have taken place and it's James, Hart, and Green (not necessarily in that order).

After watching Wayne Bridge this evening it'll be fingers crossed that he doesnt go, despite Man City's defence keeping a clean sheet i thought he was dreadful literally everytime he was on the ball, even his throwins went a stray.

On a brighter note young Adam Johnson looks as if he would be worth a punt on going to the World Cup if he can play as he did in the first half more often.

Apart from Rooney all the top players are off form, injured, or just coming back from injury, lets hope it picks up in the spring!

After watching Wayne Bridge this evening it'll be fingers crossed that he doesnt go, despite Man City's defence keeping a clean sheet i thought he was dreadful literally everytime he was on the ball, even his throwins went a stray.

On a brighter note young Adam Johnson looks as if he would be worth a punt on going to the World Cup if he can play as he did in the first half more often.

Apart from Rooney all the top players are off form, injured, or just coming back from injury, lets hope it picks up in the spring!

Good posting. On the one hand it's very disconcerting that the top players are off form, on the other we now have some really good left footers coming through or playing well- most heartening. I think it's a bit harsh to write off Bridge as he is coming back from injury (possibly Cole and Walcott too).

Ref Rooney - I think it's safe to say if Rooney is there, England will be there (or thereabouts).

And James looks international class IMHO. You can't compare him with a decade ago, he's more solid. Will a comparison with Shilton be merited? remember Shilts when through some very tough times.

James looks international class IMHO. You can't compare him with a decade ago, he's more solid. Will a comparison with Shilton be merited? remember Shilts when through some very tough times.

I predicted Seaman to do a Shilton in Japan/Korea due to his age and failing talent, think i could teach nostradamus a thing or 2. After seeing a fair bit of Pompey of late i think theyve been unlucky in a lot of recent games but the one constant has been how Calamitous(spelling) James has been, though also brilliant 2 minutes after ... imho i dont think he will end up in goal this summer its come a year too late for him.

Isnt the ManCity keeper at Brummy land doing well this season? if not maybe Rooney can double up as keeper.

James looks international class IMHO. You can't compare him with a decade ago, he's more solid. Will a comparison with Shilton be merited? remember Shilts when through some very tough times.

I predicted Seaman to do a Shilton in Japan/Korea due to his age and failing talent, think i could teach nostradamus a thing or 2. After seeing a fair bit of Pompey of late i think theyve been unlucky in a lot of recent games but the one constant has been how Calamitous(spelling) James has been, though also brilliant 2 minutes after ... imho i dont think he will end up in goal this summer its come a year too late for him.

Isnt the ManCity keeper at Brummy land doing well this season? if not maybe Rooney can double up as keeper.

If he picking the team on form then Joe Hart should be first choice. i for one would to happy with that. There have been too many failings in the past due to out of form players chosen on reputation, isn't that right Sven!

its missing the indented slots on the shoulders for carrying the chips, :) and thats coming from a sweaty[.im not the biggest fan of the england team, but i woulndt be seen in that , the tartan army call it banter and havin a laugh etc, i say its borderline racism. ie . liftin their kilts and showin there arse cheeks , sad really,if ive now opened a can of worms, i coulndnt give atoss, i just dont see why being scottish obligates me to hate england, as a lot of jocks do

quote name=whichschool' date='2010-02-25 00:46:58' post='3366271]

This is the attire our deep fried mars bar chomping, buckfast brawling, cross dressing distant cousins north of the border will be wearing this summer.

Unfortunately plod have got involved -

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/scotlan...ast/8533791.stm

ABE%20worn.gif

wayne bridge officially rules himself out of the world cup. given that he was probably not going anyway given his form versus that of warnock and baines, he must be in fuc_king turmoil to pull out this early. poor sod.

The very least Terry should do is make some sort of public apology - the very least.

He should be feeling complete shame at what his actions have led to.

wayne bridge officially rules himself out of the world cup. given that he was probably not going anyway given his form versus that of warnock and baines, he must be in fuc_king turmoil to pull out this early. poor sod.

The very least Terry should do is make some sort of public apology - the very least.

He should be feeling complete shame at what his actions have led to.

i agree, but the man appears to have no shame rix. i think what makes it worse is the rumours that half the chelsea squad had a go with bridge's ex apparently. poor sod must be in bits. think terry's just a nasty bit of work so he probably thinks he didn't really do that much wrong.

In many ways we are quite lucky: is it going to be Beckham, Walcott, Milner, SWP, or Downing that cross the ball and take the corners?, and will they be sending balls over for Heskey, Crouch, or C. Cole?

Regardless, one thing I am sure of England need to play that way, it's in our game it's the way we are, and it's ruddy effective. Egypt are African champions and they crumbled as soon as they had to deal with a big English centre forward. And I've seen this time and time again.