Redknapp Charged

MSingh

My only objection for Harry being penalized for him bending the tax laws is that when you think what total crooks and thugs are allowed to get involved with this game whether it Abromavich, Shinawatra, Mansour it seems a bit much setting an example with a relatively petty criminal acting at the edge of the Law.

Sorry but what grouinds do you have for naming him a crook and thug?

Ho hum.....there speaks a true Middle East envoy....biggrin.gif

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My only objection for Harry being penalized for him bending the tax laws is that when you think what total crooks and thugs are allowed to get involved with this game whether it Abromavich, Shinawatra, Mansour it seems a bit much setting an example with a relatively petty criminal acting at the edge of the Law.

Sorry but what grouinds do you have for naming him a crook and thug?

It is badly worded. The Emirate rulers own the vast majority of land and national resources of their country by definition of their rule over Abu Dhabi. The correct word for them is a 'despot'. Obviously it is immoral and crooked but it certainly doesnt make him a 'thug'.

National wealth being absorbed into private hands is hardly anything to be proud of. As we have seen in Bahrain it is a short step from hegemony to brutal repression.

• 3 months later...

The correct word for them is a 'despot'.

To go from a Thug and a Crook to a Despot, hmmm, by your inference a Despot is immoral and a short step to brutal oppression.

A leap of faith I might add to that king of allegation, just for the record a Despot by definition is not a cruel thug, crook and a bad nights sleep away from ordering brutal oppression, but could just be admimistering the laws of his land, however different they are from your own culture.

A Despot can be kindly and a virtuous ruler, but in absolute command of his realm, although the word Despot can highlight the inaccuracies of the Daily Mail Faithful.

• 3 weeks later...

My thoughts this morning.......

I was just thinking that here we are, December already, Spurs 3rd in the table, gossip abounds about euro 2012 and Capello's potential replacements. As usual, Redknapps name is mentioned. Yet, the usually poisonous tabloid british press seem to have imposed on themselves a gagging order not to mention Redknapps trial or the tiny matter of 183000 quids wort of alledgedly unpaid tax. Am i missing something of if say it was any other manager they'd be all over this one like a rash? Amazes me the extent he seems to have the press in his pocket.....

My thoughts this morning.......

I was just thinking that here we are, December already, Spurs 3rd in the table, gossip abounds about euro 2012 and Capello's potential replacements. As usual, Redknapps name is mentioned. Yet, the usually poisonous tabloid british press seem to have imposed on themselves a gagging order not to mention Redknapps trial or the tiny matter of 183000 quids wort of alledgedly unpaid tax. Am i missing something of if say it was any other manager they'd be all over this one like a rash? Amazes me the extent he seems to have the press in his pocket.....

Yes here is a typical piece from today's Mail basically along the lines of 'the only way is Redknapp.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/article-2069938/Martin-Samuel-Harry-Redknapp-Englands-option-native-manager.html

It carefully considers the whole issue of the trial by covering it in half a sentence...

'Obviously, there are legal obstacles that must be overcome, but if clear of them...'

Too bloody right and what a big 'IF'.

I wouldnt be too harsh on Harry claiming that he had them in his pocket. Knowing the British press they will launch into him and rip him to shreds after they have so carefully built him up.

'Redknapp in tax shame'

'Future England manager sees his dreams in tatters.'

'Guess how long Redders will be in jail and win his Rolls'

But maybe not - Guus Hiddink was given a six month suspended jail sentence and heavily fined in Holland for avoiding tax by claiming to be non-resident. So presumably Harry can still have the Chelsea job.

• 1 month later...

Bump..

Good luck today Henry, not..smile.png

Zero press coverage i notice, as per usual.

Yes I noticed a distinct lack of press coverage.

I mean it is a story. 90% of transfer window football press is gossip that turns out to be nothing more than idle speculation. Even Liverpool replace one sponsor with another who is prepared to pay twice as much is hardly cause for an editorial.

At one stage there was a press embargo in terms of reporting on the case but I thought that had been lifted. But maybe not? And maybe the press cannot report on the trial (possibly until it is finished.)

Bump..

Good luck today Henry, not..smile.png

Zero press coverage i notice, as per usual.

Yes I noticed a distinct lack of press coverage.

I mean it is a story. 90% of transfer window football press is gossip that turns out to be nothing more than idle speculation. Even Liverpool replace one sponsor with another who is prepared to pay twice as much is hardly cause for an editorial.

At one stage there was a press embargo in terms of reporting on the case but I thought that had been lifted. But maybe not? And maybe the press cannot report on the trial (possibly until it is finished.)

Gents, its splashed all over Sky News!

coffee1.gif

Courtroom rammed at start of Redknapp/Mandaric trial on tax evasion charges. They deny attempting to defraud the inland revenue.

I know, gosh isn't it so exciting listening to pair pair of old duffers talk endlessly about tax matters.........i think i'll fly back for itcoffee1.gif

Edited by carmine

coffee1.gif

Courtroom rammed at start of Redknapp/Mandaric trial on tax evasion charges. They deny attempting to defraud the inland revenue.

I know, gosh isn't it so exciting listening to pair pair of old duffers talk endlessly about tax matters.........i think i'll fly back for itcoffee1.gif

Yeah, it's best just to close your eyes in the hope of it going away Mr Carmine..;)

Day 1 in summary.

Prosecution: crown will say payments made by M to R were a bung, or off record payment neither party intended to declare.

Crown say sums owed to Redknapp for transfer bonuses were paid 'off-record' by Mandaric & hidden from tax authorities

Prosecution: what seems clear is Mr R and mr M had arranged for the receipt of off record sums independently, hidden from public revenue.

Redknapp's contract as Portsmouth's Dir of football in 01 gave him 10pc of net transfer profits, that dropped to 5 pc when he became manager

Crown: Monaco account name was 'Rosie 47' - the name of Redknapp's dog combined with the year of his birth

Crown: Redknapp wanted difference between 5% and 10% made good. 'He did not wait long before taking steps to receive what he saw as his due'

Crown: On Jan 4 2003 Redknapp instructed HSBC in Monaco to wire $100,000 from Rosie 47 to company First Star International, via Florida bank

Crown say on 21 April 2004 Mandaric paid a further $150,000 into Redknapp's Rosie 47 from a bank account in name of a Mandaric trust

Crown: Redknapp was subject of a civil tax investigation into a £300,000 payment to Redknapp from West Ham following sale of Rio Ferdinand

Crown: At no point during the two and a half year civil tax inquiry did Redknapp mention the Rosie 47 account.

Crown: 1st payment to Rosie 47 ($145,000) 8 days after Redknapp signed contract as manager. [Contract gave 5% commission as opposed to 10%]

Jury told choice of Monaco for Rosie 47 was "quite deliberate" and "highly relevant", an intended to "obscure the money trail".

And that is it for the day. Jury retires, trial resumes 10am.

Choke Dee Henry. smile.png

Do you really think that Daniel Levy hasn't put together a list of prospective replacements and lets face it, we a quite an attractive prospect to manage.

So, in short swettie, were not that interested. If he's guilty, he;s doing bird. If not he'll be back on the Spurs bench in a couple of weeks.coffee1.gif

Do you really think that Daniel Levy hasn't put together a list of prospective replacements and lets face it, we a quite an attractive prospect to manage.

So, in short swettie, were not that interested. If he's guilty, he;s doing bird. If not he'll be back on the Spurs bench in a couple of weeks.coffee1.gif

And there is the third option that enough mud sticks to Redknapp during the trial that he is deemed not respectable enough for the England job, in which case he could be at Spurs for the next few seasons.

It would of course be interesting to know who is on Levy's short list. It is probably a bit shorter than a couple of months ago. No Hughes, Ancelotti and O'Neill in any case.

And there is the third option that enough mud sticks to Redknapp during the trial that he is deemed not respectable enough for the England job, in which case he could be at Spurs for the next few seasons.

It would of course be interesting to know who is on Levy's short list. It is probably a bit shorter than a couple of months ago. No Hughes, Ancelotti and O'Neill in any case.

Ancelotti would have been fine by me but definately not the other two.

Can someone please explain to me why Hughes is a well thought of manger? I think he's clueless.

Can someone please explain to me why Hughes is a well thought of manger? I think he's clueless.

Mark Hughes reputation as a manager I think mostly derives from his record at Blackburn where he spent 4 years. It was very impressive in a Blackburn sort of way I seem to remember.

Incidentally I rather tend to question O'Neill too. His record for instance at Aston Villa looks very good on paper but he effectively destroyed the clubs financials from which they havent fully recovered to this date. Of course if Levy had chosen him, he wouldnt have let him near the cheque books, so it probably isnt an issue.

Mark Hughes reputation as a manager I think mostly derives from his record at Blackburn where he spent 4 years. It was very impressive in a Blackburn sort of way I seem to remember.

Incidentally I rather tend to question O'Neill too. His record for instance at Aston Villa looks very good on paper but he effectively destroyed the clubs financials from which they havent fully recovered to this date. Of course if Levy had chosen him, he wouldnt have let him near the cheque books, so it probably isnt an issue.

O'Neils teams don't play Tottenham style football. Hughes is a lower/mid table manager. Ancelotti would have bee a good fit alroung imo.

Where is the OP carms? biggrin.png

I think josephinebloggs is really an alias for Mr Singh 23.gif

I most certainly am not an Indian.

But no matter who i am, not that it makes any difference, people like Henry Redknapp are the reason that Football is in the awful mess it currently is today.

I don't feel that the word " cancer " is too much of a strong word to use in reference to him, but he's not the only one.

Journos having to leave courtroom to tweet –

Jury told that Redknapp only revealed Monaco account when Premier League's Quest inquiry asked him "Do you have offshore bank account?"

Prosecution tell jury that Redknapp didn't tell accountant about his Monaco account for four and half years.

Jury told that Redknapp didn't tell his bank relations manager about Monaco account for five years and eight months

Prosecution say initial civil tax investigation into Redknapp after his £300,000 bonus on Rio Ferdinand transfer found he DID pay tax on it

Redknapp told Quest inquiry that he had accountant who invested the money in his Monaco account for him

Redknapp allegedly said that his accountant had told him that Monaco account had done "not very well" and half investment had been lost

Quest later received letter from Milan Mandaric saying that HE had opened Monaco account for Redknapp and had invested money there for him

Do we really need a min by min reverb of the court proceedings? Even if found guilty it will be in the appeal process for ages. Failing that, merge it with the spuds thread.

It may not be important to you Mr James, but it is important.

I don't see what the problem would be with notifying people about a subject of a thread that has been open for over a year now ?

No one asks you to read it, like Mr Carmine, you could just close your eyes too, but it really won't go away.

What part of Manchester are you from by the way ?