Thia visa - yangon embassy

Many thanks for your comments gents but the FEC's are not a concern nor is my eligibility for the visa (I have been going to Kota Baru for the 3 months visa for several years when I was living in Phuket). Now I am living in Chiang Mai and Yangon is much near (and cheaper!) all I was wondering was, had anyone had been issued a 3 months visa and what difficulties, if any, had been encountered.

Kevin

I live in Chiangmai too, but have always gone to either Laos or Cambodia because the US$300 FEC exchange in Myanmar made that path significantly more expensive.  As such, I'm afraid I have no prior experience regarding visa runs to Yangon to share with you.

I was able to get through one time on only $100 by arguing, but I really don't like arguing with immigration officials in Yangon...

Maybe you have a trick? ::o:

Chuck

thanks for that Chuck. I hear that getting a visa in Laos is a bit of a cattle market affair i.e. long queues, rude officials and bribes being the expected thing. Never tried Cambodia. Do you get a 3 months visa at these places and if so how long do you need to stay to finish the business? Of the 2 which would you recommend at the present time?

Kevin

Hi Kevin,

Last place I went was Phnom Penh, Cambodia, last December (before the natives demolished the place).  It wasn't crowded at all, but the process was a little confusing as it was my first time there.

In theory, you could do it with a stay of only one night, if you arranged your schedule appropriately.  Arrive in the morning on Day 1, go straight to the embassy from the airport, then pick up your passport in the afternoon of Day 2, and fly out that evening.  I ended up staying 5 days, because of a slight snag and the Christmas holiday.  Unfortunately, there's no direct flights between Chiangmai and Phnom Penh.

I got a non-immigrant "O" visa.  The only disappointing thing is that I got only a single-entry visa.  I asked, but they wouldn't do a multiple-entry for me.  Back in the U.S., I always get multiple-entry visas.

Note, be sure to bring plenty of US$ cash with you.  The Thai embassy in Cambodia accepts neither Thai baht nor Cambodian rial currency -- only U.S. cash!  They will also reject certain types of $10 bills!

I flew from CNX->BKK->PNH->BKK for 10,500 baht (took the bus back to Chiangmai from BKK for another 250).  The visa-on-arrival fee is $20, and the airport exit tax is another $20.  The visa fee is another $20.  Hotel will be about $8 to $10 per night, for a decent place with a bathroom and air conditioning.  Note, don't exchange money at the airport!  They rip you off big time.  There's plenty of mom-and-pop changers around town.

Generally I would recommend Phnom Penh, but I don't know what kind of condition the embassy is in after the rioting.  It would probably be a good idea to give them a call before you go.  (855) 23-363-869 through -871.

If you're interested in any other details about what to expect, what to take, etc. just let me know.

Now, if there is anyone out there who DOES have experience getting non-immigrant visas from Yangon, I actually would like to hear about it too...  especially if it involves the ability to get multiple-entry visas.  In that case, it might just be worth the FEC exchange.

:o

Chuck