Kanchanaburi News

Kan Win

Hi All Kan members,

Here is the News:-

Kan will have a Christmas Red Fair on the 25th this December. :D

Companion Steakhouse (spelling?) has opened on the way to BKK from Kan not toooooo far out of town.

Makro is being built as I type, me think this it will be just before FN (factory outlet) on the way to BKK from Kan, so that will be good news for all. :D saves going to Nakon Knowhere then for your bulk buying;)

Please add your News of Kan. :)

Kan Win :D

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi MHM,

Tis true :D

So has the River Khwea Yai and Noi risen :D since this Monday?????

Read on the WWW that we may have a problem until next month due to some Gas problems with PTT.

Will be back in Kan tomorrow :) to have a look. :D

Sawadee :D

Hi MHM,

Tis true :D

So has the River Khwea Yai and Noi risen :D since this Monday?????

Read on the WWW that we may have a problem until next month due to some Gas problems with PTT.

Will be back in Kan tomorrow :) to have a look. :D

Well where I am - Nong Bua/ Lad Ya the river is much higher at present, and running quite fast. I heard they are opening the dams to release more water to generate more electricity, or something like that.

• 2 weeks later...

Happy New Year to all from the paradise that is Kan!

Certainly great news that Makro is coming, the site is coming along very nicely, slated to open "within 3 months"....

Also, two new official border checkpoints will be opening in 2010. Finally 3 Pagoda Pass will become an official immigration point on BOTH sides and also the much touted crossing in Ban Khao will now open around mid year.

Land prices soon to sky rocket in Kan..??

Happy Days!

Have heard today that Big C have finally bought a lump of land in Kan. And of course, this being Thailand it is very near to the new Makro site..!!!

Price wars are coming - Tesco v Makro v Big C, all good for the consumer.

Tesco's days of monopoly appear to be over!

HI CG, where did you hear that the Ban Khao crossing will be operational this year?

Be very convenient if that's the case.

Told wifey about Makro and Big C and all she could say was that she would have preferred a Carrefour!

I do a bit of business with local government here and get to hear all the gossip. Also, confirmed in the BKK Post.

Bangkok Post

Have heard today that Big C have finally bought a lump of land in Kan. And of course, this being Thailand it is very near to the new Makro site..!!!

Hi 'CockneyGit',

How 'very near' will Big C be :D to the new Marko :)

Hi 'CockneyGit',

How 'very near' will Big C be :D to the new Marko :)

Apparantly it's "glai Fry Now"...!!!

So we'll have Big C, Fry Now and Makro all in a line.

T.I.T

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Certainly great news that Makro is coming, the site is coming along very nicely, slated to open "within 3 months"....

Also, two new official border checkpoints will be opening in 2010. Finally 3 Pagoda Pass will become an official immigration point on BOTH sides and also the much touted crossing in Ban Khao will now open around mid year.

Happy Days!

Hi 'CockneyGit',

Heard last week-end that "Makro" should or will open before Songkran this year :D

Next, went to '3 Pagoda Pass' this month Feb 2010 and folks told my wife that it has been closed for some years now, 2 or 3? :D

Lovely neck of the woods 'Sangkhla-buri' is, :) but the road up there is <deleted> :D from Thong Pha Phum.

Happy Days!

Hi 'CockneyGit',

Heard last week-end that "Makro" should or will open before Songkran this year :D

Next, went to '3 Pagoda Pass' this month Feb 2010 and folks told my wife that it has been closed for some years now, 2 or 3? :D

Lovely neck of the woods 'Sangkhla-buri' is, :) but the road up there is <deleted> :D from Thong Pha Phum.

Can you explain '3 Pagoda Pass' and 'has been closed for some years now, 2 or 3' please.

Do you mean as an immigration checkpoint?

If that case then it has not been such since I have been here first in 2001 at least.

You can cross into Burma to visit the market there but will not be stamped in and out of Thailand/Burma.

Hopefully this will change soon when the crossing is upgraded.

I heard from one of the Thai Officers in the customs post there that this will coincide with an upgrade with the road to Kanchanaburi.

Hopefully not too long to wait now.

Can you explain '3 Pagoda Pass' and 'has been closed for some years now, 2 or 3' please.

<snip>

You can cross into Burma to visit the market there but will not be stamped in and out of Thailand/Burma.

Hopefully this will change soon when the crossing is upgraded.

I heard from one of the Thai Officers in the customs post there that this will coincide with an upgrade with the road to Kanchanaburi.

Hopefully not too long to wait now.

The bold part is closed as mentioned above. No way into the market on the other side.

Sawadee :)

• 1 month later...
HI CG, where did you hear that the Ban Khao crossing will be operational this year?

Told wifey about Makro and Big C and all she could say was that she would have preferred a Carrefour!

I do a bit of business with local government here and get to hear all the gossip. Also, confirmed in the BKK Post.

Bangkok Post

Todays BKK Post says that the road link will be opening in 2013.

Oh well, good job that I like the sightseeing opportunity border hops give me.

Got a e-mail for a mate of mine in Kan:-

1. A new bridge about 200m from the already existing Sudjai Bridge (is being built) :D

2. Floating market :D

3. The Dheva Dari (or similar) resort opening with rooms starting at 4,800 baht. Presidential Suite nearly 40,000 baht. :D

4. Some posters saying nice things about Mangosteen Cafe as well. :D

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Floating Market bit was talked about many a year ago and the site is ripe for plucking if I am correct. Back-water of the Kwae Yai, in town, with a very large car park which is never use on the opposite side of Kan Fitness Park on the road to Chong Kai War Cemetery

post-3770-1270556108_thumb.jpg

Just before the second smaller bridge, well that was the talk years ago. Would be a good site also. :)

• 2 months later...

Bangkok Post

Todays BKK Post says that the road link will be opening in 2013.

Oh well, good job that I like the sightseeing opportunity border hops give me.

Even worse todays BKK Post are saying that the Transport Ministry are only just studying proposals for the new link.

• 1 month later...

Any news about the 3 Pagoda Pass? On Kanchnaburi-info.com is the info, that you can walk over, without stamp your documents. Iguess that´s a very old info, isn´t it? Last time it was still closed. What´s about the another borderpoint Bong Ti? THX for answers

• 5 weeks later...

HangDongRider

The 3 Pagodas Pass is still closed. No walking over the border permitted.

Bong Ti, the road is all finished on the Thai side, but was told that there's still a few years or work to be completed on the Myanmar side.

Bong Ti, February 2010

post-62796-091071200 1283836879_thumb.jp

• Like 1

It's the last game of the football season on Sunday 19th so come along and cheer on the Bats at 16.00. Stadium by Castle Mall.

Ohh kwai, ohh kwai, and there was me thinking they where call Kwais and Knot Bats from that Rat-Bat-Buri next door to Kan.

Most folks call these rivers

medium.jpg

We all live and learn :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

A nice video about Kanchanaburi and the Death Railway.

Boycie :thumbsup:

Agreed, Nice little video and well done. I've taken that ride more than a few times... usually after a day to Mt Erawan waterfalls.

The photo of the 3 pass road sure does come to an abrupt end. I'd hate to be riding along on a foggy night and miss the end of road sign. :o

• Like 1

http://www.nationmul...o-30139335.html

The situation was serious also in Kanchanaburi with train services suspended as rail-lines were submerged by floodwater.

Many roads in the town were also flooded (Total Bull-&lt;deleted&gt; as only the outer ring road was a wee bit flooded), causing traffic disruption. Residents described the ongoing flood as the worst in 15 years. Kanchanaburi's new Governor Nattapon Wihien-prerd ordered officials to survey flood damage in all districts.

and a very warm welcome to Kanchanaburi's new Governor Nattapon Wihien-prerd :wai: