Kanchanaburi News

Kan Win

HangDongRider

The 3 Pagodas Pass is still closed. No walking over the border permitted.

Bong Ti, the road is all finished on the Thai side, but was told that there's still a few years or work to be completed on the Myanmar side.

Bong Ti, February 2010

post-62796-091071200 1283836879_thumb.jp

Anybody have the latest news about New Border at Bong Ti. Also any expat Khan info, last I heard the Seven Up guy crashed again, don,t know if he had his pistol with him at the time, maybe it fell out again at Ting Tong Tonys like before.

You mean the new crossing at Nam Ron I think. Was there a couple of weeks ago and things seem to be progressing very slowly.

Talking to a couple of guys there and they suggest a 2015 opening.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

<sinp>

a Robinson store, just the opening date. After reading the news story, maybe the store will open in 2013?

Well it should be as they are building it now, next to and after Virgin Coco Coffee Shop by the Suphan Traffic Lights road on the Outer Ring road.

Win thumbsup.gif

So the annual Light & Sound Show has been moved to start in December rather than the end of November.

Starts 7th to 16th December 2012.

All are welcome to enjoy this most famous Festival in Kan by the Bridge over the River Khwae (Kwai).

This show has been going on for well over 25 years now. wai.gif

http://www.pbase.com/win13/ls_kan

Win thumbsup.gif

So the annual Light & Sound Show has been moved to start in December rather than the end of November.

All are welcome to enjoy this most famous Festival in Kan by the Bridge over the River Khwae (Kwai).

Win thumbsup.gif

Great Festival, A bloody lot of people.
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
They had a McDonalds within the Tesco/Lotus complex when that first opened but it didn't last very long. If your info is correct, it seems that they are having a second go at another location.

Yes I remember that one. Closed down nearly a decade ago. Wifey knew the manager there and said there just wasn't enough custom to make it viable. Guess eating habits have changed during that time as Macca's and KFC's everywhere seem busy.

Shame it's not a Burger King though.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi Folks,

Home Pro also coming very soon on the same side as the New Toyota Showroom and Service Center, next to the Esso Petrol

station.

Now you all know.

Win thumbsup.gif

Hi Folks,

Two new border crossings to open.

Looks like after a very, very long wait we will have at last two checkpoints in Kan,

The checkpoints are between Thailand's Three Pagodas Pass in Kanchanaburi
province and Myanmar's Phayatongsu town and the Ban Nam Pu Ron in Kanchanaburi and
Myanmar's Tiki town.

Good for folks having to do a visa run I think. Lets wait just a little bit longer until the really open.

Also good for all the empty Guest Houses, Hotels and Resorts as well in Kan during the week.

Win thumbsup.gif

Not sure about Three Pagoda but I was at Nam Ron last November and the actual crossing point was a barely started building site.

Labourers there were talking about 2015/16 completion.

I for one hope it's much sooner than that.

I could imagine, that the Kanchanabury Immigration office can give some info about this.

So, if any of you have some business there in the near future, why not ask and report back here. Would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all, just saw them talking on the television this morning about Tha Lor beach, it looks like one of Kans many beautiful secrets is now out of the hat for those that saw the TV, prior to today I never knew there was a sandy beach closer to our home in Suphan, in the last 2.5 years I've lived in suphan we usually take the kids on the once monthly trip to Cha Am beach,,

I'd appreciate if anyone that has been there that can recommend available facilities at the beach, also I'd appreciate directions to the beach traveling from Suphan

Thanks

Win thumbsup.gif

Great Festival, A bloody lot of people.

Would that be the same date's this year. 13

You're not ruining my post Greg,, I've never used lonely planet before, not that I'm aware of anyway, but I do use this forum as a source of gaining info,, which hopefully you've just given me (if I can find it),, now I'll go off and check what info I can find on lonely planet, hopefully it'll provide directions from one of the main routes, which was another request in my post

Thanks

Hello all, just saw them talking on the television this morning about Tha Lor beach, it looks like one of Kans many beautiful secrets is now out of the hat for those that saw the TV, prior to today I never knew there was a sandy beach closer to our home in Suphan, in the last 2.5 years I've lived in suphan we usually take the kids on the once monthly trip to Cha Am beach,, I'd appreciate if anyone that has been there that can recommend available facilities at the beach, also I'd appreciate directions to the beach traveling from Suphan Thanks

Easy really, lots to do for the kids, etc...

Have a look and click on the "view map" below the photo in yellow:-

http://www.pbase.com/win13/image/95978966

and about Kan and many more places, please have a look here as well:-

http://www.pbase.com/win13/muang_kan

Win from Kan thumbsup.gif

Not to ruin your post but its a well known place of somewhat interest mentioned in lonely planet guides for years

So you only know lonely planet, well this one below is the Lonely Comet guide to Kan coffee1.gif

One of the most “Must Read” books on Kanchanaburi. From the front to the back page, laugh a minute. w00t.gif

Comprehensive and morish, where some reviews of late.

This book details the REAL “Kan” as it should be. No holds barred.

"The Empire Strikes Back” so to speak, was yet another comment."

http://www.pbase.com/win13/comet

Have fun in Kan thumbsup.gif

cheesy.gif

Maybe you'd be so kind as to point me in the right direction regarding the info relating to that particular beach Greg?

Searched on the lonely planet website using tha lor beach as the search subject also tried kanchanaburi beach,,,, and nothing relevant shows up,,, maybe I'm doing something wrong possibly the spelling in my search or possibly it's not as well known as you suggested??

I don't live in Kan and not too familiar with the area myself but Ive visited Kan and Erewan falls a few times but neither myself or my wife who comes from the Suphanburi area knew about the beach before nor do a couple of my expat friends who have lived in Suphanburi for 10 years or more,,

Anyway, if you could post a link to the info I'm looking for I'd really appreciate it,

better still, if you've actually visited the beach yourself maybe you could advise on how to get there and/or what available accommodation, food, and other facilities are available there? It would be most helpful.

Thanks again

Oops sorry Kan, just see your reply after I posted

Thanks

No probs at all. Hope it helps all that wish to visit Kan from near or from far. cool.png

Please ask away as I know this place, just outside of Kan Town on the road to BKK, in the Temple grounds.

Win thumbsup.gif

• 3 weeks later...

Not seen any mention of it so far but when I went to the Immigration office in Kanchanaburi to do my 90 day report a couple of weeks ago the building wasn't there....demolished!! The ground where it once stood was marked out as if it was going to be rebuilt.

Anyway the temporary office is to the left as you enter through the main gates.

Edited by prodriver

Not seen any mention of it so far but when I went to the Immigration office in Kanchanaburi to do my 90 day report a couple of weeks ago the building wasn't there....demolished!! The ground where it once stood was marked out as if it was going to be rebuilt.

Anyway the temporary office is to the left as you enter through the main gates.

Basically good news. They must expect massively more "Border-Traffic" once the road-link to Myanmar is in place. (I am not talking about the 3 -Pagoda-Pass). The Pagoda-Pass is a useless

detour from the Deep-Sea-Harbour to the center of economic activity in Thailand (=Bangkok).

I live less than 30 Km's away from from Myanmar as the crow flies. The border-region as far as real-estate is concerned, has been 'gobbled-up' by high ranking military and police officials.

Thai-Families, that have lived in this border-region for generations are in the process of being "Relocated".

Does that tell us anything?

Cheers.

• 2 months later...

Just heard the new BigC is going up close to the football stadium/athletics track and should be complete in 6 months.

Seems an optimistic time scale.

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

On the large piece of open ground right next to it ?

• 3 months later...

New bus service Kanchanaburi to Chiang Mai starts Sunday 24th November

Cost around 600 baht, 10 hour trip, departs 9am and 7pm from Kanchanaburi Bus Station

post-62796-0-45295700-1384985492_thumb.j

Best to double check departure times before your trip and i'm hoping that they will have 2 safe drivers.

Buckle up and safe travels.

Boycie

• Like 2