Buying A New Suv

georgy

I own a 2007 2.4 CRV, with about 35000 km. Found it to be reliable, only 2 problems:

1) Differential problem (well documented and fix has been provided by Honda, only affecting 1st version of 3rd gens.)

2) Lumbar support died on 2nd year, fixed under warranty.

I would buy it again because:

1) Surprisingly easy to drive in Bangkok, turn radius is acceptable for this size of car... Pantip parking is easy.

2) Comfortable ride, Bangkok roads are really horrible.

3) Can do "soft-mild" off-road... this is a AWD not 4x4. Do your research and homework.

4) Can do 120-130 kph comfortably.

The 2010 version is the "face-lift" version, but I hear they improved on insulation to reduce road noise, among other things.

Most people complain about the fuel efficiency of the CRV, but it is about the same as the Camry, I own both. If you are worried about the fuel efficiency, then consider a Jazz or some other compact car. In city, 7kpl. Highway, 10-13kpl.

I'm hoping there are others in this forum that can share insights on their Ford Escape's and Chevy Captiva's.

Just taken delivery of a Captiva for my Wife.

I am not easily impressed ,but I am very impressed.

It's first test was driving from CM-BK, it ate the road, even though the highway leaves a lot to be desired the Captiva lapped it up.

It only cost 1,500 baht for the deisel to get there, thats 1,000 cheaper than when I drive my 325i down.

Comfort is first class, and it will cruise easily at 140-160.

We looked at all the SUV options and I am very happy that we chose the Captiva

Pajero, yes-no. Its quite, similar to Fortuner

I m looking for a fuel efficient, high wheeled car. Offroad and 4WD is not a topic for me.

Does anyone have experience with Ford Escape?

Fuel efficient you can skip Escape, CRV and captiva petrol. My 2003 CRV had a range less than 280 km on highway, wanting 1,6 liter/10 km.

My 2005 Fortuner 3,0 D4d 4x4 auto did same driving at 1,2 liter/10 km, with much more power available.

Captiva diesel would be my choise if you dont need 4x4 offroad ability or trailer tow. Agile and fuel efficient.

It's first test was driving from CM-BK, it ate the road, even though the highway leaves a lot to be desired the Captiva lapped it up.

It only cost 1,500 baht for the deisel to get there, thats 1,000 cheaper than when I drive my 325i down.

I would appreciate if you could let me know which execution and engine you have. Please also let me know the value of fuel consumption. Thank you in advance!

Yes, the Pajero is about the same size as a Fortuner, actually almost identical specs. so if that is too big for you you are left with the CRV, Captiva or Escape.

Does anyone have experience with Ford Escape?

I had an Escape in Canada......was a very nice car, but bear in mind it is only available with a Gasoline engine, no diesel option. Also I suggest you go and sit in one, it is really quite small inside. The Captiva is roomier I think. As I said in my other post, I think comparing the Captiva and the CRV with the Escape/Fortuner/Pajero is apples and oranges, 2 completely different classes of car. From what ThaiPauly says, sounds like the Captiva would fit your bill just right.

Good luck, its always a bit of a crap shoot choosing a car.

I would appreciate if you could let me know which execution and engine you have. Please also let me know the value of fuel consumption. Thank you in advance!

It's a 2 litre deisel, auto, can't answer your other question though, sorry