BANGKOK 21 February 2019 12:23
Sign in to follow this  
johndpoole

Motorcycles On Thailand Freeways?

My GF and I have a bet on this ... She says motorcycles (Choppers) cannot drive on the Thru-Ways (toll highways) in Thailand. Being from America I told her that actual motorcycles can go anywhere cars can go but she insists I am wrong and it is not just scooters that cannot ride on the Freeways.

** I am calling these roads Thru-ways but I am talking about the Thailand Highways wich require you to pay a toll ... what we call Freeways (in Calif. since they are free) and Interstates or Turnpikes & Thru-ways in other parts of the USA.

Hopefully I will not lose the 10k Baht on this but even if I am right I am know that I won't be seeing 10k from her but at least I could use it as a marker for the next bet I lose ;-)

I have no clue either, but I'm not sure whether there is a distinction here between "actual motorbikes" and "scooters". If this distinction doesn't exist, then your g/f is probably right.

Interesting question, though, I'm waiting for a definite answer too.

Say goodbye to 10 grand. No motorcycles/scooters of any engine size are allowed to use the tollways of Thailand, although you may still see a few trying! This is a big bone of contention with many of us motorcyclists but many car drivers think the rule should stay, so the debate continues but the law is fact.

Just FYI, this is a subject discussed at length by various forum members on the Motorbike Forum.

GIVE HER THE MONEY

It wont be the last

:)

Even in America there is a minimum horsepower before being allowed on the freeways. Most stated will not allow a 250cc motorcycle on an interstate. I don't think that they have that size distinction here, or so the Thai's tell me.

A Thai Policeman friend of the family says no motorcycles of any size are allowed on the toll roads......pay up.

motorbikes allowed on toll ways, seen many times but all have one thing in common guys dressed in brown carrying guns etc. wife is correct no bikes on toll way Thailand except the cops

Edited by NALAK

Bikes certainly cannot ride on the tollways or even the main ringroad around Bangkok.I suggest you give up gambling.

Can ride on Freeways (motorways)..but Not Toll Ways........... :)

Civilian motorcycles of any description can not drive on:

Toll roads

The main lanes of certain freeways (motorbikes have to use the frontage road, if present)

Any bridges that cross over intersections

Any lane other than the leftmost lane

Sidewalks

Certain bridges going over the river

Any elevated road

Any underground tunnel going under an intersection

Edited by Zzinged

Toll roads

The main lanes of certain freeways (motorbikes have to use the frontage road, if present)

Any lane other than the leftmost lane

Sidewalks

Any elevated road

My understanding is that motor cycles are permitted to use the pavements (sidewalks) if the roads are very busy. Who decides whether the volume of traffic is too heavy is anyone's guess. The whole concept is ludicrous but it must be true. TiT.

LOL - Thanks guys!

Now I can, at least partially, understand why I see so few motorcycles on the road in Thailand ... except for those parked outside the Hard Rock Cafe.

LOL - Thanks guys!

Now I can, at least partially, understand why I see so few motorcycles on the road in Thailand ... except for those parked outside the Hard Rock Cafe.

I see thousands of bikes in Thailand, which hard rock you talkin bout ???

Any elevated road

Didnt know about frontage roads.. Thats not handled like that in the country..

Same with bridges over intersections.. Raised roads.. Tunnels under raised roads..

You sure those are not bangkok only restrictions ??

Are there any identifying marks / signs to display this ??