Motorcycles On Thailand Freeways?

johndpoole

PS ... are you driving the Honda LS here in Thailand? It is rare I ever see crotch rocket type bikes here. The few I do see are older cafe or chopper style bikes.

Aye. I've been back in Thailand since December 1st and wanted to buy a CBR150 before HM the King's birthday, and ended up with the little 125 2-stroke on December 4th. It is a bit of a rocket off the lights, although I would urge anyone riding a bike (or anything) to treat every green light as the inverse of an orange (amber) light, and look very carefully for any belated oncoming roadtrains or Mercedes still crossing before releasing the clutch, and don't gunn it until you're through the intersection and there is nothing by the way of other vehicles or people or buffaloes or sideroads for that particular quarter mile, then let her rip. (Dry roads only, of course).

As a 125 2-stroke, she does go like the clappers once she hits her powerband from around 6,000-10,000 rpm, but there's a noticable change when I loaded her up with around 10kg of rucksacks yesterday, because she's probably got the power of a 150 4-stroke, but very little torque, so as you call them 'crotch rockets' I'd have to agree.

This is about the most impractical bike I've ever owned, but riding her in Thailand is such a dangerous way to get around that I get so superstitious about everything, in the hope that the 95 octane benzine and best quality autolube I can find will help her to stay somewhat sane at night and not transport me into the ICU or the morgue. Dao, if you're down in the carpark reading this, I didn't really mean it. You're not impractical and I love you, so please don't slide on me. :)

There have been literally thousands - maybe 50,000 - Honda CBR150R's sold in Thailand since 2002.

If 50k is accurate ... this is a very small number considering the population of Thailand and number of motorbikes on the road.

As of December 2005 the number of registered vehicles in Thailand breaks down like this...

Motorcycles (includes Scooters) - 15,501,035 or 61%

Passanger Cars - 3,486,097 or 14%

Van & Pick-ups - 5,298,628 or 21%

Bus & Truck - 765,994 or 3%

Other - 214,500 or 1%

Didnt know about frontage roads.. Thats not handled like that in the country..

Same with bridges over intersections.. Raised roads.. Tunnels under raised roads..

You sure those are not bangkok only restrictions ??

Are there any identifying marks / signs to display this ??

In the country, I don't think you're likely to find frontage roads alongside highways, raised roads (eg. the elevated Borommaratchachonnani road), tunnels (I'm not sure about the ones in CNX though, could someone living out there confirm?) or bridges over intersections.

Either way, I thought that cops in the country are also less likely to set up roadblocks at the end of bridges to try and catch motorbikers.

But yea, I'm 100% sure about those restrictions in Bangkok though. Most of the time there's a sign showing what vehicles are/are not permitted to use the road ahead. Sometimes, in the case of highways with frontage roads, the sign will be written in Thai with a graphic representation of the vehicles it's talking about. If I manage to get some photos I'll post em.

There is NO law in Thailand that says motorbikes MUST ride in the left lane. Yes the BIB collect money but there is no law.

What the law does say is that all traffic must drive on the left, ie the left lane except when overtaking. This is all traffic cars included. What the BIB do is stand in the left lane forcing all to go around and..........

If you can find it written somewhere we would all be grateful.

Well I meant ride in the left lane during normal conditions of course. Overtaking is permitted but after you overtake you're supposed to zoom straight back to the left lane. By extension you're also allowed to leave the left lane if you need to turn right or make a U turn... but I thought all this was already implied. :)

If the cops are standing in the left lane all you need to do is stay in the left lane and try as little as possible to avoid them. :D

CNX has underpasses and flyovers - over a dozen. I fly under and over, right lane at 125 kph, daily.

I meant I'm not sure about the law regarding bikes using those in CNX, not if they exist up there. I assume your post means there's no restriction on bikes up there.

CNX has underpasses and flyovers - over a dozen. I fly under and over, right lane at 125 kph, daily.

I meant I'm not sure about the law regarding bikes using those in CNX, not if they exist up there. I assume your post means there's no restriction on bikes up there.

Never been stopped once since 2003. Nor on railroad flyover in S. Hua Hin. I have no doubt there could be a law on the books but it's not enforced. We have no toll roads.

Exactly if you travel the country theres many times where theres under and over passes, frontage roads, etc etc..

And never have I heard those restrictions, seen signs, or seen any form of enforcement etc. Same as toll roads being a bangkok area only problem perhaps ??

As to the definition of a scooter.. having the engine sprung is only 1 of the definitions, if anyone looks at a mio or click or nuovo and says thats not a scooter then I think they need to adjust their definitions.. Bringing underbones into the mix is only muddying the waters.