Help

paike

tu  kin  pon

we eat  fruit

Is the above translantion right?

Quite possibly, though the dictionaries I consulted say that ตู is first person singular, unless the RID is trying to say it is ambiguous as to number. The RID marks it as archaic. In Li's Handbook of Comparative Tai it is glossed as 'we', but that does not preclude a restriction in Thai to 'I'. There's a similar phenomenon with the archaic สู, apparently glossed in Thai dictionaries as 'thou', but generally plural across Tai.

The transliteration looks odd, as I presume the underlying Thai is ตู กิน ผล, so I would have expected to see tu kin phon (standard transcription) or dtu gin pon (comon anglocentric teaching transcription). Perhaps someone will tell me it's an entirely different word.

my living dictionary beside me has never heard of "tu" or "Dtu" for "we". She insists it's either "puagrao" or "rao" - nothing else. Both my book dictionaries say the same. [more or less] What area did you get this from - is it a local dialect, perhaps?

my living dictionary beside me has never heard of "tu" or "Dtu" for "we". She insists it's either "puagrao" or "rao" - nothing else. Both my book dictionaries say the same. [more or less] What area did you get this from - is it a local dialect, perhaps?

I thought that as well....maybe he means Theu....which is a word for you used for close relationships and juniors otherwise considered rude....commonly replaced with Khun.

RID = Royal Institute Dictionary. Archaic as in ancient, not used anymore, which is probably why your living dictionary does not recognize it.

tu  kin  pon

we eat  fruit

Is the above translantion right?

More context needed. Where is this taken from? Give us all the background info you have and we will be able to make more educated guesses.

[L]tuu is a nickname as well as a verb which means "to falsely claim something". A very far fetched guess is that it is a proberb - "he, who makes false claims, will have to face the consequences ("eat" the fruit of his actions)". It is ONLY a far-fetched guess though.

There's also รา 'we two; the pair of us; the pair of them'. RID says it's restricted to ballads. In a few non-Thai languages it too means 'I'. This one I can't find in my print dictionary.