German/thai Student Dies Of Electrocution In Phuket

george

Student dies of electrocution in Phuket

gallery_327_1086_13873.jpg

This malfunctioning water heating unit was the likely cause of the tragedy.

CHALONG, PHUKET: -- A 17-year-old student of the British International School died from an accidental electrocution on Christmas Day.

Chalong Police Investigator Boonlert Onklang identified the deceased as Anurak Gottschalk, son of a German photographer and his Thai companion who works as a cook aboard a tour boat.

At about 5:30pm, the boy's German uncle and a housemaid found Anurak dead in the bathroom of their home in Chalong Village 9.

They went to check on the boy after realizing that he was taking an unusually long shower.

Anurak's body was covered in electrical burn marks and his hands were still clutching the sprayer when he was discovered.

Rescue workers from the Phuket Ruamjai Kupai Foundation brought the body to Vachira Phuket Hospital, where Anurak was pronounced dead on arrival.

An examination of the body determined cardiac failure resulting from electrical shock as the cause of death.

A malfunctioning water heating unit for the shower is the presumed cause of the tragedy.

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2009-12-30

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As an Electrician, it does amaze me why Thai buildings (including ones farang have built for them)

are always missing the Earth, as well as being wired up completely wrong.

The very sad thing is, that there are laws that the Thai's are meant to abide by and sign a certificate saying the electrical installation is safe. Obviously no one checks or actually cares.

I would also say, I was checking out the wiring in the new Shell Petrol Station in Phuket, and being Shell, i would have thought their would be standards... Alas I was wrong. Very poorly wired with 3 phase 25mm cables coming in, earthed by a 4mm cable... = death when a problem occurs. But at least there was an Earth.... did it work... dunno... maybe it just looked good.

TB

Just had a condo finished and one of the things I insisted on was a water heater out of the way (under the sink area), rather than using those shower type heaters. From this I'll also be very very vigilant when in hotels etc that have this type of heater.

It seems there are too many electrocutions in Thailand that are so easily avoidable. I hope things start to change for the better soon, this developing country still requires a significant amount of HSE development and actions need to be proactive rather than reactive.

Such a shame and so avoidable. RIP.

Edited by richard_smith237

As an Electrician, it does amaze me why Thai buildings (including ones farang have built for them)

The very sad thing is, that there are laws that the Thai's are meant to abide by and sign a certificate saying the electrical installation is safe. Obviously no one checks or actually cares.

I would also say, I was checking out the wiring in the new Shell Petrol Station in Phuket, and being Shell, i would have thought their would be standards... Alas I was wrong. Very poorly wired with 3 phase 25mm cables coming in, earthed by a 4mm cable... = death when a problem occurs. But at least there was an Earth.... did it work... dunno... maybe it just looked good.

TB

I am always surprised that nothing more happens. Considering how the electric is wired I would guess every day hundreds of deads....

TB

So you are saying these electrocutions occur due to faulty wiring within the structures themselves? I was under the impression it was the shower units that caused it.

TB

not always. you are welcome to check my house :)

Just had a condo finished and one of the things I insisted on was a water heater out of the way (under the sink area), rather than using those shower type heaters. From this I'll also be very very vigilant when in hotels etc that have this type of heater.

It seems there are too many electrocutions in Thailand that are so easily avoidable. I hope things start to change for the better soon, this developing country still requires a significant amount of HSE development and actions need to be proactive rather than reactive.

Such a shame and so avoidable. RIP.

Dreadful to happen the day after the swimming pool electrocution - very sad and totally avoidable. Sadly, too many RIP's translate to Repeat In Perpetuity............ :)

Edited by Brewsta

I'm getting tired of failing electricity in our land. And I don't really trust the work being done either. And some days ago the water heater for the shower stopped 'heating' (but running it does). Any good electrician, be it Farang or Thai, around that anyone can verify for? PM with number would be appreciated.

Getting electric chocks from my computers chassis is getting tiresome...

Make sure your unit is grounded and that you have a textured rubber mat that you stand on when you shower. These problems are avoidable. Our place was not setup with the ground wire.. we had to run one down the side of the house for the shower unit. These units save electricity unlike in the USA where you have a hot water heater on all day and night keeping the hot water hot.

I added a topic on the Chiangmai forum seeking a qualified electrician to do work on my home. Had a couple of bites 200 bht to 1,500 baht. Had a guy from england who said he will come over and do the work for me. I think I will give him the job. peace of mind and know it will be right even if it costs me 60,000 baht.

Europe, and especially America, have litigation for breaking a bloody fingernail, or other such trivia.

It's about time court cases, irrespective of the time taken to judgement, were more prevalent here to try and reduce incidents like these two recent electrocutions.

Hopefully, the Israeli boy's family have enough wealth (with no regard for the time it will take) to sue the hotel owner, even just in order to get an outcome.

Hopefully, this German / Thai boy's family can find a builder or landlord to sue, in order to prove a point.

There are laws on electrical installation, as a previous poster has pointed, so let them be used for the future benefit of all, and so that these 2 lads haven't died in vain.

I really would like to know how many are electrocuted in LOS

each year.

When my shower water heater stopped working the manager

had to replace it 4 times before we got hot water.

But the 2nd time my wife complained she was shocked when

turning on the water. My wife or daughter could have easily

been electrocuted.

I wonder if the shower fixtures were all made of plastic rather than

metal if the death rate from this problem might not plummet.

Thailand has wonderful qualities, but sometimes I wonder if

I should not be back in the West where sanity prevails.

Edited by paulfr

TB

So you are saying these electrocutions occur due to faulty wiring within the structures themselves? I was under the impression it was the shower units that caused it.

I live on whats regarded as a hiso moo barn (sign says prestige zone) and this house is around 4 years old, I get shocks off almost everything which is connected (just got one as i type on the laptop) pc, fridge, tv, last month the landlady asked if i would like to install hot showers in both bathrooms and could,nt understand how i can shower cold...said hot is much better, I shook my head then she gave me a confused look so i took her hand and walked her into the kitchen then asked her to look in the fridge, She took hold of the fridge door handle ...gave a high pitched scream then did a short dance on the spot :)

I told her...i,ve looked behind the sockets...there is no earth installed here and cant imagine the affects of a water heater ...her answer was mai pen rai...put a cloth around the fridge door handle

Another tragic and needless death!! All the bad news and stuff i read and hear about in Thailand, seems to tell me stay away from Phuket and Pattaya in particular.. it has obviously become endemic within these OTT tourist/expat farang areas that so many local Thais (and yes I know there's mafia there too in its various forms!!) do not give a **** about anyone but themselves, only taking people's money and moving on to the next potential customer/victim!!! You can say what you like about the rest of Thailand, including my home area in Chiang Mai, and yes there are bad people everywhere... but these 'hotspots' are obviously ******* crazy, whether you're some businessman getting mixed up in real estate, just a family trying to park your car or a backpacker having a quick shower or swim!!! Best left well alone, is my view from the North (and I know things aint perfect here!!). :)

Someone electricuted in pool yesterday down phuket, and somebody mentioned yesterday about a shower, and it happenned a day after.

We need quality control instead of cowboy's doing the work. If anyone wondering what a cowboy is, its a person doing the same work as a professional, but not upto the same standards, at a very cheap price.

Thailand this year, is becoming highly dangerous, electrical faults, more theives, etc the list goes on.

Thailand is yet again receiving more bad publicity, for over this festive season, when will it stop, answer when the corruption stops.

Anyways Happy New Year to all.

Unfortunatly its the 'mai phen rai' mindset in Thailand. Safety last? Poorly educated population? We are all at risk living here. You either live here knowing the risks or go back home to your safe countries. Personally I check all electrical stuff out myself and rectify any problems I come across.

One of the best ways to not get electrocuted by an electric shower is to disconnect the water supply from the shower, and connect the hose directly to the water tap thus bypassing the shower. Switch off the power to the shower at the fuseboard. 95% of the time you don't need a hot shower in Thailand; I just connect the water up to it about 2 weeks a year when its cold. Only being connected 2 weeks a year really reduces the chance of being electrocuted (and saves power too). Disconnecting the water from the shower stops it getting caked up with limescale. I use the short hose from the tap to connect the inlet to the outlet, thus reducing the chances of ants getting in and making an ants nest! (Yes ants can even get to the top floor of condos!).

PS: I check the shower every year when I reconnect it.

Edited by MaiChai

I singed my eyebrows and lost my eyelashes turning on a gas-powered in-line water heater in Chiang Rai about 5 years ago and ended up stunned, naked, and smelling of burnt hair on the shower floor.

Thankfully these Chinese units seem to have all but gone extinct.

I guess when you stay at a hotel, there is a tacit assumption that the room and facilities are maintained and safe.

Time to realize this is a lark and watch your own back (especially if it's really hairy)!

Matters not where the electric heater unit actually is.. If the water gets live it comes out the pipe live..

Of course not in a properly earthed system but thats the problem.

I went through 4 electricians before one would gladly do proper grounds for my place.

One didn't understand at all, 2 refused point blank, saying 'it's unsafe for people in bare feet.'

A 4th sort of got it, but didn't really understand why.

Finally the 5th got it, and speced 30mm ground, and multiple 6 foot deep brass ground points.

He got the job.

I do remember watching a 'electrician' standing balanced on one foot,

on a 7cm cement block wall while holding stripped back cables

and dropping them one at a time over exposed electric company lines

behind a bar that had its power cut off officially,

and this in a rain storm at night using a lighter to see...

till the hack turned on the lights.

I really, REALLY wonder if he would make it through the next 15 minutes.

Crying shame about this poor young man.

My condolences to the family.

Edited by animatic

TB

Well, the two are related. Water heaters all have a built-in safety-cut-off (which they proudly announce with 14 stickers on the units). But: no-one cares to take a peek at the installation guide, where it says that the safety-cut-off will only work when the unit is properly grounded (= earth connected).

"Faulty wiring" -- yes, in a sense: anywhere in the Western world, cables come with color codeings (gray, blue, green/yellow striped = earth). That's seldom the case in Thailand -- pretty easy to mess things up this way.