BANGKOK
Sign in to follow this  
Mumbo Jumbo

Brick Or Block...?

Ive been talking to several " Thai " builders about which is the best way to go in building a house, to use the standard block or to use the small Red brick's..? no one can give me an awswer which would be the best to use, I think the price is about the same, for the block and small red brick..? can any one comment which would be the best to use or comment on their experience

Thanks.......

Not sure on the price side,

but this is hot climate and the blocks have an airspace inside

which probably provides a little heat insulation.

As a general rule follow the local style of building, it done for a reason.

I'd go for brick, they put them in log ways so they have an air gap as well. I recon they are better for heat insalation and stronger. The do workout a fair bit more expensive though. Buying costs are more, you use more cement and it takes longer so labour costs are higher.

Red brick covered with cement is the normal home wall here in Bangkok. Cement blocks are used for outbuildings and such but not normally for finished homes (except for under traditional Thai pole homes). The brick is much stronger and easier to finnish and you can hang things on it without the wall falling down.

(except for under traditional Thai pole homes)
I've got a "Thai Pole" house but its got brick down stairs :o
you can hang things on it without the wall falling down

Which is always an advantage i feel :D

The main advantage to the red bricks is that they are especially designed to be mortored to provide better sealing and 'sticking'. Cement blocks, by design, are not nearly as strong in terms of load bearing, so they shouldn't be stacked very high. Okay for small outbuildings and fences, but not load-bearing walls in houses, especially over one story. It also is much more difficult to cover with cement because of the big empty spaces in them to make them lighter

As for prices, the cement blocks here (Chiang Mai) average 1.5 - 2 baht each, the red brick 65-75 satang (3/4 of a baht) each

Ive been talking to several " Thai " builders about which is the best way to go in building a house,  to use the standard block or to use the small Red brick's..? no one can give me an awswer which would be the best to use, I think the price is about the same, for the block and small red brick..? can any one comment which would be the best to use or comment on their experience

Thanks.......

Contrary to someone wrote"the way they build here is done for a reason" the reason is Cheap! Check out the website www.coolthaihouse.com

The houses built the way they build here are always hot and not energy efficient. I live in one right now, it's miserable.

Six inch block walls are the miniumum I'd say with insulation in the cavities. double wall construction better. Six inch blocks are available about 100 km from Pattaya area are about 11 baht each, otherwise the only other place I know they have them is in SuraBuri, but I would imagine they do have them elsewhere. Used with a high quality 2 inch block with insulation between and your house is already cool and you save on the A/C baht. BUT, up to you if you want to stay cool and save money.

BeachBunny

Ive been talking to several " Thai " builders about which is the best way to go in building a house,  to use the standard block or to use the small Red brick's..? no one can give me an awswer which would be the best to use, I think the price is about the same, for the block and small red brick..? can any one comment which would be the best to use or comment on their experience

Thanks.......

Contrary to someone wrote"the way they build here is done for a reason" the reason is Cheap! Check out the website www.coolthaihouse.com

The houses built the way they build here are always hot and not energy efficient. I live in one right now, it's miserable.

Six inch block walls are the miniumum I'd say with insulation in the cavities. double wall construction better. Six inch blocks are available about 100 km from Pattaya area are about 11 baht each, otherwise the only other place I know they have them is in SuraBuri, but I would imagine they do have them elsewhere. Used with a high quality 2 inch block with insulation between and your house is already cool and you save on the A/C baht. BUT, up to you if you want to stay cool and save money.

BeachBunny

By the way, we built this way, and we are still under our budget of 2.5 mil baht.

beachbunny, on most houses here most of the heat is absorbed thru the roof into the house, the sun is at its hottest during the midday period, thats also when its directly overhead, also the loft areas are not big enough or vented enough to dissapate heat quickly, this is then transferred to your cieling, if you have low cielings this is then transferred to your rooms, there are many ways to insulate a house, but a lot of it comes down to how much your willing to spend, double glazing is a perfect example, a 3 bed bungalow would cost about 400,000baht to do, but if you done it in aluminum frames and single glazing it will cost about 150,000baht, whereas roof insulation is now extremely cheap..

beachbunny, on most houses here most of the heat is absorbed thru the roof into the house, the sun is at its hottest during the midday period, thats also when its directly overhead, also the loft areas are not big enough or vented enough to dissapate heat quickly, this is then transferred to your cieling, if you have low cielings this is then transferred to your rooms, there are many ways to insulate a house, but a lot of it comes down to how much your willing to spend, double glazing is a perfect example, a 3 bed bungalow would cost about 400,000baht to do, but if you done it in aluminum frames and single glazing it will cost about 150,000baht, whereas roof insulation is now extremely cheap..

If you don't have adequate ventilation in the attic, I agree with you. However, we have high ceilings, adequate ventilation, insulated walls, & we've insulated the ceilings in part of the house, but even those that aren't are cool. Also, we brought our windows from the states, so that was an advantage too, but I'd still say the walls and adequate ventilation are major aspects.

BeachBunny

If you are building the standard Thai concrete framed house (columns and beams) the material used for the infill does not need to be loadbearing. Personally, I'd still go for double skin (50 mm gap) brick but not the smaller variety. The larger bricks may be double the price but they are more than twice the volume (about 1.2 times if my memory serves me correctly) and the labour laying costs will be much less.