Brick Or Block...?

Mumbo Jumbo

Maybe I was to generalistic and if I stepped on your toes, oepps sorry.

And I am looking at a bloody beam in the middle of my living room to be.

Bikkel,

You are a thai_norman clone. Neither of you has provided any information about making bricks in Thailand without firing. Guess you don't have any.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bikkel,

You are a thai_norman clone. Neither of you has provided any information about making bricks in Thailand without firing. Guess you don't have any.

I would of thought it would be hard to provide info on "making bricks in Thailand without firing" as they usually are baked(talking about the small red ones). At leas in all the places I've bought them (usually straight from the producer) they use "geap" the outer shel of rice to bake them, it burns about the same as saw dust and has many comparable uses. In fact weused to have contracts for supplying it to a few brick works, when I used to have the lorry.

Bikkel,

I would of thought it would be hard to provide info on "making bricks in Thailand without firing" as they usually are baked(talking about the small red ones). At leas in all the places I've bought them (usually straight from the producer) they use "geap" the outer shel of rice to bake them, it burns about the same as saw dust and has many comparable uses. In fact weused to have contracts for supplying it to a few brick works, when I used to have the lorry.

RandomChances,

Thanks for your input. These two guys insist that small red bricks made in Thailand are only sun baked and not fired. I've seen them do just as you have described and related this in a previous post on this thread but they insist. Since they haven't come up with any evidence, I think they are just trolls. Is a troll someone who posts something they don't really believe just to waste someones time or get some strange enjoyment out of running someone around for no reason?

I've read that you don't have rice land. Did you have some before?

Chownah

Thanks for your input. These two guys insist that small red bricks made in Thailand are only sun baked and not fired. I've seen them do just as you have described and related this in a previous post on this thread but they insist. Since they haven't come up with any evidence, I think they are just trolls. Is a troll someone who posts something they don't really believe just to waste someones time or get some strange enjoyment out of running someone around for no reason?

Chownah

Never had any rice land but used to have lorrry(truck) and move anything that made some money. Got into the rice hulls cos we used to run chicken food and the farms used a lot of it like saw dust so we used to run it for them)

Sorry I had'nt read this post fully, Thai Norman is usually pretty spot on when it comes to building stuff (I have'nt read all the links) and the other guy is just new and does'nt deserve a slagging..... we are just talking about brick"s .....does'nt really matter does it?

Chownah

Never had any rice land but used to have lorrry(truck) and move anything that made some money. Got into the rice hulls cos we used to run chicken food and the farms used a lot of it like saw dust so we used to run it for them)

Sorry I had'nt read this post fully, Thai Norman is usually pretty spot on when it comes to building stuff (I have'nt read all the links) and the other guy is just new and does'nt deserve a slagging..... we are just talking about brick"s .....does'nt really matter does it?

The topic of this post is; which is better brick or block. These guys are trying to tell people that bricks here are not fired. This means they will crumble and melt when wet. This would lead people to believe that they are a bad choice. In fact for typical Thai construction, properly constructed brick is said to be better than block by everyone I've talked to in my neighborhood. I use block, myself.

I just don't want people to be mislead by misinformation.

Hey, this is my first post! Just want to say ... this is some GREAT entertainment! Watching grown people (hmmmm really?) argue their deep knowledge. As I don't have any direct knowledge or even an opinion.. I will pass on the brick stuff.. but hey ... if it were me... I would lay my own brick if I so desired... .unless I pissed off the neighbors... so buy some insurance - a few smiles, a Sawasdii, a drink or two for the curious neighbor.....and enjoy! I would venture to bet that the bar arrests were done and instigated by competition.... or someone else peeved by the neighbors - it is all done to get some pocket lining anyway... This is Thailand.

Cheers!

Hey, this is my first post!  Just want to say ... this is some GREAT entertainment!  Watching grown people (hmmmm really?) argue their deep knowledge.  As I don't have any direct knowledge or even an opinion.. I will pass on the brick stuff.. but hey ... if it were me... I would lay my own brick if I so desired... .unless I pissed off the neighbors... so buy some insurance - a few smiles, a Sawasdii, a drink or two for the curious neighbor.....and enjoy!  I would venture to bet that the bar arrests were done and instigated by competition.... or someone else peeved by the neighbors - it is all done to get some pocket lining anyway... This is Thailand.

Cheers!

Glad we amuse you!!!! Jump right in,,,,,the waters fine!

Bikkel,

"When in Rome do as the Romans do" there are temples in S/E ASIA 1000 years old built of air dried red laterite bricks and still in good condition,," NUFF SAID " :o

• 4 months later...

Hello everyone,

Fact is that your building plans without concrete beams will not be approved by the piyu-baan (head-village).

And, of course, all village pu yi baan's have advanced civil engineering degrees!

The biggest problem with most, if not all, construction here in Thailand is Cracks! Everything that I have read about masonry and concrete is to use only water that is 'drinkable'. How many farlang's drink the tap water over here? But Thai's do so I guess that qualifies the water as drinkable. What is my point? The water that is mixed with the cement is the basic problem. Of course, I am also aware that Thai construction workers, with their vast knowledge, use too much water at times, they never measure the amount of water, sand, cement. It is 'eyeballed' - Humm!

Hello everyone,

Fact is that your building plans without concrete beams will not be approved by the piyu-baan (head-village).

And, of course, all village pu yi baan's have advanced civil engineering degrees!

The biggest problem with most, if not all, construction here in Thailand is Cracks! Everything that I have read about masonry and concrete is to use only water that is 'drinkable'. How many farlang's drink the tap water over here? But Thai's do so I guess that qualifies the water as drinkable. What is my point? The water that is mixed with the cement is the basic problem. Of course, I am also aware that Thai construction workers, with their vast knowledge, use too much water at times, they never measure the amount of water, sand, cement. It is 'eyeballed' - Humm!

Boy, this thread sure brings back memories!!!! I am a licensed professional engineer and water does not have to be drinkable to be used in making concrete. You can actually use sea water to make concrete if you know what you're doing. The thing is that if the water is drinkable then for sure it is good enough. I think that the water is usually not the problem in concrete mixing in Thailand....of course I haven't watched every batch being made so I can't be sure...hahahhahaha.....the problems you will see is TOO MUCH WATER IN THE MIX always alway alway too much. Other problems might include poor quality of aggregate or poor mix of aggregate (aggregate means sand and gravel)....also poor placement..many Thais will use a concrete vibrator and no one has ever taught them how to do it...concrete will be trucked in wheel borrow for long distances and then not remixed.....the list goes on and on.....but....somehow they seem to make it work...usually. Actually, if you're interested (hahahahahahahahaha) the way they make it work is that they use alot of compression steel which isn't even needed in the US where you can get consistently superior quality concrete just about anywhere.

Your posting style reminds me of someone but I just can't quite figure out who.

• 2 months later...

I probably shouldn't butt in, but I just want to back up Chownah on the little red bricks. I have seen them being made and it is exactly as he and the other fellow described with the rice husks being burned around them, etc. In fact, if you look at some of the bricks closely you can see the burnt straw and marks from same on some. Around here they are called "It Mon" or Mon bricks, Mon being the ancient people who still live on the border area. They are good for paving footpaths, etc. if you like that kind of look. They also stay cool after getting wet, as they asborb a lot of moisture and then evaporate it slowly. Of course they are not for load bearing purposes, but they are not fully fired, mishapen, and about 1/4 the size of a Western brick.

Chownah

From what I understand, the bricks have been fired for a loooonnnnngg time already. But I am no expert.

Anyway, I want to know from you or someone else how the big massmarket guys like Land and House are churning out their homes.

I have seen some of the new fancy insulation blocks which are very light (float on water) and already lined; some being used in the BKK market.... surely these would be easier?

The amount of finishing is almost non existant with these concrete blocks, whereas the little bricks seem to then require copious plastering, with all the attendant effort and time.

Hello everyone,

Boy, this thread sure brings back memories!!!! I am a licensed professional engineer and water does not have to be drinkable to be used in making concrete. You can actually use sea water to make concrete if you know what you're doing. The thing is that if the water is drinkable then for sure it is good enough. I think that the water is usually not the problem in concrete mixing in Thailand....of course I haven't watched every batch being made so I can't be sure...hahahhahaha.....the problems you will see is TOO MUCH WATER IN THE MIX always alway alway too much. Other problems might include poor quality of aggregate or poor mix of aggregate (aggregate means sand and gravel)....also poor placement..many Thais will use a concrete vibrator and no one has ever taught them how to do it...concrete will be trucked in wheel borrow for long distances and then not remixed.....the list goes on and on.....but....somehow they seem to make it work...usually. Actually, if you're interested (hahahahahahahahaha) the way they make it work is that they use alot of compression steel which isn't even needed in the US where you can get consistently superior quality concrete just about anywhere.

I'm not sure who posted the above statement, "Licensed Professional Engineer", but I would like to ask you: how to make a proper concrete mix using sea water?

You said "If you know what you're doing". Could you enlighten us a bit, thanks.

Hello everyone,

I'm not sure who posted the above statement, "Licensed Professional Engineer", but I would like to ask you: how to make a proper concrete mix using sea water?

You said "If you know what you're doing". Could you enlighten us a bit, thanks.

------------------------------------------------------

-------------------------------------------------------

If you actually want to make concrete using sea water I suggest that you do some research on your own and find a reliable published source of information about this and follow their advice....or hire an engineer to create a formula for you. I am licensed and the requirement of my license is that I can not provide engineering services for which I am not fully knowledgeable....I am not fully knowledgeable of the methods of producing concrete mix designs so whatever I say in regards to this topic is not to be construed as engineering advice but only as anecdotal evidence.

When I attended University and studied concrete mix design they mentioned using sea water. The two concerns they mentioned when using sea water were 1. In making high quality concrete the amount of water used is critical and sea water is not 100% water so you must adjust your mix to account for this fact....and 2. The salts in sea water are corrosive and will corrode the reinforcement bars placed in the concrete.

This is from my memory. This information was given when we were studying the effects of impurities in the concrete mix. It was pointed out that salts in the water were not an insurmountable porblem but that sugars and sugar containing materials were a definite no no since sugars actively interfere with the formation of the mineral crystals which form the basis for the strength of concrete.

Edited by chownah

This isn't a 100% true statement. I guess maybe it depends on where you live in Thailand.

We are in Na Jomtien.....our house does not have any concrete pillars/poles/beams whatever you want to call them. (In fact the local headman of our area was our builder. )

One of my friends has some pictures our building process on his website. You can see them under spanish style villa at Cool Thai House This is a website & forum for information and exchanging ideas etc. nothing to sell.

Another friend of ours does not have these pillars/beams/poles in his house either. However he used the superblocks.

Two other houses being built that I know of are using the poles but in a different manner than the usual thai construction----incorporating them into the concrete block walls so there are no jutting corners everywhere. They will also be using double wall construction with the high quality concrete blocks so there will be no need for a pole in the middle of your lving room.

It can be done.

Beachbunny

Hello everyone,

Thanks Chownah for the clarafication. I had done a lot of research on the 'web' about concrete. Everything I had read more or less stated that 'clean drinkable water' was an absolute(?) necessity for building with concrete. Good to know that 'clean drinkable water' is not necessary.

By the way, I have no knowledge whatsoever about concrete, cement, stucco, etc. That is why I do all the research. I hope to build (have one built) another house someday.