Sri Lankan Food In Thailand

kinmaew

Hi, does anyone know where I can get Sri Lankan food in Thailand? The only place I found on the web once was a place called "Ayubowan" on Suk Soi 8 but going there its been taken over by another restauraunt and is not Sri Lankan food anymore.

Regards

Kinmaew

Walking along Rajprarop this afternoon, I was given a card for the Delhi Darbar Restaurant which advertises Indian, Pakistani, Bangladeshi, Sri Lankan, Maldives, Malaysian and Nepali food. It's near the Indra Hotel; the address is: 122/69 Soi Somprasongruam, Behind the Indra Hotel, Pratunam, BKK. The phone number is 02 254 3704. Can't vouch for the place but, it's a lead.

I lived in Sri Lanka for 2 years before moving here, so I'd be interested to know if you try the place. I miss kottu badly!

Fortunately, there is a small but pure & authentic Sri Lankan restaurant is called Lanka Bojana. A too well kept secret, or they would be overflowing with appreciators.

It is also near the Indra Hotel, just the opposite side of the wide main street & a bit further away from Sukhumvit. One can use the walking over pass just there. Also notice there is a 7/11 on the corner of the small soi wattanawong. Walk about 2 blocks down this lane, it is on the left hand side. If you call ahead, 02 2531391, they will make most any traditional foods, especially great & very different from any where else here, Vegetarian food! Ask for coconut sambal, Gotu Kola (bi boa bok) sambal, steamed pitu, uniquely flavored, mushroom curry, soya meat curry, mellum of various sorts, hopers, as well as all the traditional meats, etc. They also have red rice on order.

From at least this perspective, the Lankan lady cook is really fantastic & the service & decor is warm & friendly & simple. enjoy!

Since the Ayubowan closed a few years ago, this is the only one (although the Thai food restaurant that is in that same building on the left,down Soi 8 is elegant & fantastic! It's called Kinnaree. They also have an alternate vegetarian menu) hopefully there will be more, as most don't know about nor have tried the incredible Lankan cuisine, which is closer to Thai than to Indian. With all the cultural similarities, close proximity, similar ingredients, it is obvious and should be much more popular. Especially as the Lankans arguably have the richest and spiciest flavors, surpassing even Thai.

Looking forward to seeing some other reflections or reviews of this place here, should anyone reading this, try out this little gem...

• 2 years later...
Fortunately, there is a small but pure & authentic Sri Lankan restaurant is called Lanka Bojana. A too well kept secret, or they would be overflowing with appreciators.

It is also near the Indra Hotel, just the opposite side of the wide main street & a bit further away from Sukhumvit. One can use the walking over pass just there. Also notice there is a 7/11 on the corner of the small soi wattanawong. Walk about 2 blocks down this lane, it is on the left hand side. If you call ahead, 02 2531391, they will make most any traditional foods, especially great & very different from any where else here, Vegetarian food! Ask for coconut sambal, Gotu Kola (bi boa bok) sambal, steamed pitu, uniquely flavored, mushroom curry, soya meat curry, mellum of various sorts, hopers, as well as all the traditional meats, etc. They also have red rice on order.

From at least this perspective, the Lankan lady cook is really fantastic & the service & decor is warm & friendly & simple. enjoy!

Since the Ayubowan closed a few years ago, this is the only one (although the Thai food restaurant that is in that same building on the left,down Soi 8 is elegant & fantastic! It's called Kinnaree. They also have an alternate vegetarian menu) hopefully there will be more, as most don't know about nor have tried the incredible Lankan cuisine, which is closer to Thai than to Indian. With all the cultural similarities, close proximity, similar ingredients, it is obvious and should be much more popular. Especially as the Lankans arguably have the richest and spiciest flavors, surpassing even Thai.

Looking forward to seeing some other reflections or reviews of this place here, should anyone reading this, try out this little gem...

• 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

I looked for it on google maps, went down the soi (rajaparop 8), saw an indian place called 'Everest' (any good?), but didn't see Lanka Bojana. Seems to be the right soi. https://www.facebook.com/pages/Lanka-Bojana/177978765587377

I had a terrible meal at Lanka Bojana a few months ago. One thing I love about eating in Sri Lanka is how all the little dishes are freshly made. At this place though, everything was old and pretty bad.

Yeah I'm not convinced that these little tucked away places are any good, I went on a recommendation at silom soi 11 last week and it ruined my day, and they had said it was fantastic.

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

There is a new place called Manel Lanka, on Soi 4, opp. INDRA hotel. Heard it is good.. 02 650 1679

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I really enjoyed it. Had the vegetarian set for 100 baht. It was easily enough food for two people. Saturday night and it was packed full of Lankans. Go figure. I'll go back, but it was a pretty warm and uncomfortable room without functioning air conditioning.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

This is the 100 baht vegetarian set. Dal and three curries. It was great. It might be a cultural or language thing, but nobody working in the restaurant seems at all friendly. Maybe it's me. smile.png

Being a born Sri Lankan, I found even the owner very friendly who approached and spoke to me. All the waiters were friendly and fast. It all depends what look you have.... and if you start off grumbling about some silly thing!

The best was the food....For one hundred Baht, a full Rice and Curry very close to mothers food, enough for two is what you do not get in any Thai restaurant. If you are a mild food eater, you can ask for less spicy items.

I would go back as often as I can. Try the traditional Caramel Pudding with Juggery and Coconut cream called Vatalappan. That will take the burning away after the meal.

It is a right turn when you walk out of Pantip Mall, cross over at the next bridge, walk another 100 yards in the same direction, turn left at the big crossing, use the bridge to cross to the other side and opposite the huge Indra hotel is Soi 4. As you walk in you cannot miss it on the left.

Enjoy the food.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

one of the best Srilankan and  Maldivian foods I have come across is the new restaurant that opened at Pratunam, Petchburi Soi 15 .. "Olive15".  Had a lovely dinner in a awesome  themed restaurant and the staff were very friendly. 

Archived