Chiang Mai Plumber?

jonm66

there's a leaky pipe slowly dripping water through my bathroom ceiling. anyone know of a decent plumber in chiang mai? if he speaks a few words of english, even better.

thanks in advance...

jon

Edited by jonm66

• 1 month later...

I second jon's request - my downstairs bathroom is flooding from water coming from my bathroom upstairs... please please please does anyone know how one would go about finding a plumber or contact details for a good plumber?

Cheeeeers!

there's a leaky pipe slowly dripping water through my bathroom ceiling. anyone know of a decent plumber in chiang mai? if he speaks a few words of english, even better.

thanks in advance...

jon

Just some tips as I don't think you'll find proper plumbers exist here.

Most are builders etc. who have general skills in construction, plumbing etc.

Also it is very difficult to find someone to come in and fix things or do small jobs, especially at the moment with the building boom.

Best to ask around your area/moobahn and see if there is a general handyman who does jobs like this in your area.

Or like myself , quickly acquire some plumbing skills. Most things are fixed pretty easily unless you have pipes running through concrete walls or floors. Those are a pain. You have to bash at the concrete trying to expose the leak.

In the meantime see if you have a valve that can turn off the water supply (to that room ) to minimise water damage.

Also check other common possibilities such as overflowing toilet tank, shower valves and exposed joints etc. Shower valves are a common one as the rubber parts perish quickly in the heat. Water will run down wall inside tiles and look like a floor leak.

Also a possibility toilet has not been installed correctly and water leaks out when flushed.

You might try asking at your local plumbing supply store if nobody in the neighborhhod can fix it. That is one of the many downsides if you live in one of those modern housing estates populated by people who can't do repairs. In the more traditional villages there are always folks to repair and fix basics for a few baat and food & drink.

Thai plumbing is pretty simple and usually all you will need is a saw or PVC pipe cutter, fittings, and some glue. Just remember that the doo doo always flows downhill.

Would be interested to learn if the leaky pipes spoken of in this thread are PVC.

I have PVC for all plumbing except for the hot water lines, which are copper and I have a "copper" man for those. I do the PVC myelf and have improved considerably the work done by the installation plumber. Mostly added valves at every opportunity so I can isolate every possible potential problem.

As said check with hardware or pipe supply store as they have contacts that do small jobs. Once you find someone it is a good idea to get his number so you can call whenever you have this type of problem - as said it may be a plumber or a do it all type operation. You could also ask (or have maid ask) neighbors as they may have kept a card with contact instructions.

I second jon's request - my downstairs bathroom is flooding from water coming from my bathroom upstairs... please please please does anyone know how one would go about finding a plumber or contact details for a good plumber?

Cheeeeers!

thanks in advance...

jon

I think my friend Prathom can get you sorted....

04-043-4560

Cheeeeers!

thanks in advance...

jon

I think my friend Prathom can get you sorted....

04-043-4560

Nice one :-) Thanks for the info Ajarn! I really think I should put together a website with this sort of useful info - a 'proper' plumber in Chiang Mai who had a single page advertisement online would be set to make a fortune from the local farangs :o

Well, I took cmsally's advice, went to Top's last night and bought myself a plunger (cost all of about 65 baht).. and well, I managed to unblock my dodgy pipe..!bathroom's now being thoroughly chlorinated (the water drainage from the upstairs shower was flooding the bathroom below for quite some time...) mee kwaam suuk maak! :o Now all I need is a toolbelt and a Bob the Builder hat! Still, I'm rather shocked that here in Thailand they don't have a 'plumbing profession' hmmm

I'm really happy you gave me the kick to go and figure it out myself :-)

Edited by Fraktalkid