Expat Community?

dana04

There are various informal social groups, however as a newcomer you might like to take it slow. Chiang Mai has more than it's fair share of farangs of dubious value. This trends towards a rather nasty small town atmosphere in the farang scene. Take your time and choose you friends at your leisure.

There are various informal social groups, however as a newcomer you might like to take it slow. Chiang Mai has more than it's fair share of farangs of dubious value. This trends towards a rather nasty small town atmosphere in the farang scene. Take your time and choose you friends at your leisure.

I suppose I don't get close enough to see any of the nasty small town atmosphere thing.

How bad is it?

I suppose I don't get close enough to see any of the nasty small town atmosphere thing.

How bad is it?

You've had a taste here, already, I think. :o

There are some real nasty folks around here, in my experience. Most farangs I know keep a very low profile, and a very small group of friends.

Naaahh That there are some nasty folks around, as anywhere, shoudn't stop anyone from getting to know the majority of good, friendly people.

Then again, I also have a theory that people who move to Thailand, and Chiang Mai especially, are looking for freedom and independence. They're not 'traditional' expatriates' in that joining / setting up a club with people and things 'just like home' is not really high on the task-list..

The only time when I hang out with fellow countrymen is during international football events... That's once every 2/4 years and is really enough. :o

Cheers,

Chanchao

Naaahh  That there are some nasty folks around, as anywhere, shoudn't stop anyone from getting to know the majority of good, friendly people.

Then again, I also have a theory that people who move to Thailand, and Chiang Mai especially, are looking for freedom and independence. They're not 'traditional' expatriates' in that joining / setting up a club with people and things 'just like home' is not really high on the task-list..

The only time when I hang out with fellow countrymen is during international football events...  That's once every 2/4 years and is really enough. :o

Cheers,

Chanchao

A good philosophy there Chanchao :D

Having been in and around CM for some years it has been my observation and experience that most expats would prefer to keep a low profile not because they feel any insecurity about being an expat. but because they mostly enjoy their new environment and Thai friends so much. Encounters with colleagues from their home countries are mostly by chance and usually pleasurable, but they do not wish to continue those contacts regularly. In other words they do not wish to mix their new CM life with the "back home" experience - and that in my view is a most positive comment on the CM that we all love.

My advice is to take it slowly, make a real effort to mix with the locals and enjoy what they offer in company, generosity and welcome. You'll sometimes want some connection with back home (food and people) but mostly you'll join the rest of us in settling into a new life like you never imagined was possible. Also - don't think of CM as a city - think of it as a province - get out there and experience it, and especially its people!!

The only (mild!) warning I give is that CM's reputation of the Shangrila of the North has attracted more than the usual measure of outsiders that you may not want to be associated with - so take it slowly developing those relationships.

Enjoy Chiangmai!!!! :o

Having been in and around CM for some years it has been my observation and experience that most expats would prefer to keep a low profile not because they feel any insecurity about being an expat. but because they mostly enjoy their new environment and Thai friends so much. Encounters with colleagues from their home countries are mostly by chance and usually pleasurable, but they do not wish to continue those contacts regularly. In other words they do not wish to mix their new CM life with the "back home" experience - and that in my view is a most positive comment on the CM that we all love.

My advice is to take it slowly, make a real effort to mix with the locals and enjoy what they offer in company, generosity and welcome. You'll sometimes want some connection with back home (food and people) but mostly you'll join the rest of us in settling into a new life like you never imagined was possible. Also - don't think of CM as a city - think of it as a province - get out there and experience it, and especially its people!!

The only (mild!) warning I give is that CM's reputation of the Shangrila of the North has attracted more than the usual measure of outsiders that you may not want to be associated with - so take it slowly developing those relationships.

Enjoy Chiangmai!!!!  :D

Well said. My feelings, too, but in sweeter words. :o

My Thai life probably takes about 85% of my time. BUT I do need farang company sometimes so that I can use my native language without hesitation or misunderstanding and I need the depreciating sense of humour of fellow Brits.

Go to the Irish pub's quiz night or teach (if qualified) and you'll meet many decent people.

Sitting at Mike's burger ordering a take-away burger, some guys were going on about football, obviously now I realise they were refering to what Americans like myself know as soccer. Growing up watching American football, I asked if any had seen the recent Superbowl, only to be answered with a fist to the side of my head, a brief wrestling match and then three of them standing on me and kicking me in the face. Lovely assho's. My pregnant wife waiting in the car herd the commotion, and screamed at them to stop since everyone else at the busy burger stand decided it was best to stand aside and watch. They started to approach her and I was up again, grabbed her and made it to the truck and locked up as they beat dents into the hood.

Bad in my part was mouthing off when we were safely locked in the car, but the whole thing started as I was trying to make light conversation about footbal, no contriversy, while waiting for my food. If "Did you catch the Superbowl?" is enough to make someone come over and blind-side me (his friends jumped in after the first punch knocked me off my stool, but I somehow managed to pin him down and returned the favor, and as they came over to help him by kicking my face in, he got up and bit the back of my neck so hard he took a chunk of skin and tissue away with him).

No doubt British by their accents and dedication to English football. My wife had to talk the good sense into me to not make a lap around the moat and run the worthless runts over. Had they touched her I imagine I would have. Thank God cooler heads prevailed. I am not violent, not fighting since grade school, but as I healed over the next week I had some absolutely murderous feelings pass through an otherwise friendly good-natured mind. And the dreams were not much better. No major damage except for a slight hairline fracture to one cheek and black swollen eyes.

Why the long story, I guess since I'm new to TV I want to take advantage of the public forum, and let go of any residual anger I might still feel at times for anyone willing to spend several hours watching a scoreless game (OK that was my cheap shot).

But I also believe it fits well into this forum about Chaing Mai and the undesirables that should be avoided. Start with Mike's burgers, Mike was kind enough to give me a few free burgers when I came back to try and see if anyone could identify these punks, but at 12-2am 99% of the customers are drunk or high on something, and having only 2-3 girls behind the counter is not any help at setteling rowdy customers, nor did anyone call the police. I think a tough security/counter worker would be a welcome addition - at least if I am going to eat there again, even though they do have the best late-nit grub. Had I been drinking to I also don't know how it would have turned out, but worse I'm sure.

Cheap rooms, beers and drugs have definatly attracted an unwelcome element, probable no more than 5-10% max, but those are the odds and I lost that night. At least in BKK they keep the majority of the holligans around Khao San Road. And as much as I love the atmosphere the guesthouses create with their lively staffs and adventure seeking farangs there are some nasty people cruising around there, and it would not bother me at all to see them weeded out somehow. Overnight drunk tanks might be a good start for those who have completely lost control of themselves.

So as mentioned above, pick your friends in CM carefully and thanks for letting me get the whole thing out of my system, holding a grudge is poison to the system and can have no positive results. And yes I'll continue to try meeting people wherever I go, as mentioned above the majority of us are truely good and pleasant accuantances, and possible friends.

Oh and if I ever run across them again anywhere...I'll just turn and walk away as any civilized person would when faced with dangerous rabid animals.

Can't say I would do the same.These pricks deserve to get nailed :o ..one way or another.Did you file a police report?They might do it again to somebody. The Tourist police here would be happy to tour the bars to find these buggers.No place needs cowardly tourists like this.

i am english and by no means are we all thugs and hooligans, but most people who are that fanatical about football tend to lead very sad lives. (before i get flamed i am not having a go a people who like football just the idiots like these sad individuals)

i am sure you happened upon some morrons that did not have a brain cell between them.

on the subject of the original post, i too have just moved to chaing mai from the uk and would like to meet/network with other people.

a wise man once said you can never have to many friends (except when they all want something in return) :o

Yes I filled a report with the police, which may do little more than getting a bit of leniency if I ever did see them somewhere with a few beers in me.

I really hope not to run into them again, not out of fear, but out of again stirring up a dark deep-seated hatred that has no place in my life.

Could I control myself? Who knows, but that is often what seperates good folks from the criminals. It only takes a momentary loss of control in a crime of passion that sends the best of us over the edge, often it's a one-way ticket.

Of course it would be ideal to get a chance to bite that dudes nose off or something, but where would that leave me...questioning whether I was any better than them to begin with.

Feeling hate and violence toward another is a fair emotion to have about this, but holding onto it in my head and chest only multiplies the damage they did to me physically.

So I let it go...I hope.

I'm disgusted, Socalbro, but unfortunately not altogether surprised. Mix booming Brit economy with ever cheapening flight deals and this is the result. Imagine what the Spanish islands must be like.

Sounds like you gave a decent lick back at least.

By the way, that area...moat, Spicy, Loi Kroh not far, late night burger bar...well, you know what I'm saying.

• 3 weeks later...

This is terrible behaviour! Sometimes I am embarrased to say I am a fellow Brit.

The thing I enjoyed about moving out here is avoiding the drunken british louts at night! Oh um, seems like you cant avoid them....

But as you say, I guess it depends on where you choose to hangout.

BTW, I am up for meeting other like minded Brits, as its nice having a mixture of friends from all over the world (including your home country) - No football hooligans should apply, lol.

This is terrible behaviour! Sometimes I am embarrased to say I am a fellow Brit.

The thing I enjoyed about moving out here is avoiding the drunken british louts at night! Oh um, seems like you cant avoid them....

But as you say, I guess it depends on where you choose to hangout.

BTW, I am up for meeting other like minded Brits, as its nice having a mixture of friends from all over the world (including your home country) - No football hooligans should apply, lol.

It'll be a pretty lonely gathering then :o

Of course it would be ideal to get a chance to bite that dudes nose off or something, but where would that leave me...

Besides with a mouth full of nose, I just hope he doesn't have a cold at the time.

I've been in Chiang Mai for quite a few months now, having moved up from further south, and I too have been wondering about the expats around here... It seems that people are friendly, but I just haven't really got into any expat groups (or are they cliches?) This thread has maybe helped explain some so cheers!

I also had an incident with some English youths one evening... I am english and was walking along the road with 2 guests from England, when a group came flying past us from behind racing on bikes.. One of them hit my guest and dislocated her shoulder. He then blamed her and disappeared. I was shocked it was another brit!

Typical :o

I've been in Chiang Mai for quite a few months now, having moved up from further south, and I too have been wondering about the expats around here... It seems that people are friendly, but I just haven't really got into any expat groups (or are they cliches?) This thread has maybe helped explain some so cheers!

I also had an incident with some English youths one evening... I am english and was walking along the road with 2 guests from England, when a group came flying past us from behind racing on bikes.. One of them hit my guest and dislocated her shoulder. He then blamed her and disappeared. I was shocked it was another brit!

I have just read this thanks, it made my day what with a Farang the other week being made to stand up on a bus while all the natives sat down and now this.

As a doctor you should know it's not "cliches" but cliques but never mind perhaps you have not got to that page in the book yet.

As to the "youth" make you wonder if it was all worth it, up to your neck in muck and bullets for scum like this.

Are you sure these "youths" were Brits? Sounds like a Thai reply to me.

Perhaps if you took that plum out of your mouth and spoke " proper like what I do" you might be in with a chance.

Keep 'em coming.

Maerim I think it is you who needs the reading practice mate..he was asking if the term 'expat group' was a cliche.

Terrible stories and personally I would like to see to it that unlike some areas of spain where this type of tourist now flourishes they return home with such wounds as to ensure they and their friends opt for paella over rice in future.

I just hope they punch the wrong thai in the wrong place and learn the lesson the hardest way possible.

/rant

1) Huge appologies Maerim for not searching for an accent to properly write 'Cliché' correctly - maybe you can look it up in your book now.

2) Yes, I know they were Brits - him saying 'I'm English too' kinda gave it away...

3) Even if I did speak with a plum in my mouth - how would talking 'proper' make any difference when a motorbike drives and hits you from behind?

Hope you learn something.

1) Huge appologies Maerim for not searching for an accent to properly write 'Cliché' correctly - maybe you can look it up in your book now.

2) Yes, I know they were Brits - him saying 'I'm English too' kinda gave it away...

3) Even if I did speak with a plum in my mouth - how would talking 'proper' make any difference when a motorbike drives and hits you from behind?

Hope you learn something.

Maerim is always like this when he's on his period :o

Maerim I think it is you who needs the reading practice mate..he was asking if the term 'expat group' was a cliche.

Terrible stories and personally I would like to see to it that unlike some areas of spain where this type of tourist now flourishes they return home with such wounds as to ensure they and their friends opt for paella over rice in future.

I just hope they punch the wrong thai in the wrong place and learn the lesson the hardest way possible.

/rant

They do (punch). But learn something? Never. :o