Dek Naew (เด็กแนว)

custard

I think it is a new word on the streets that people are using to refer to the trendy, "new-age" Thai teenagers who dress unusually, and are interested in crazy or unconventional ways of (mis)spending their youth.

Khun Yoot may correct me here but I think the แนว refers to แหวกแนว, which means innovative or unconventional. Then again, I could be totally wrong!

I think it is a new word on the streets that people are using to refer to the trendy, "new-age" Thai teenagers who dress unusually, and are interested in crazy or unconventional ways of (mis)spending their youth.

Khun Yoot may correct me here but I think the แนว refers to แหวกแนว, which means innovative or unconventional. Then again, I could be totally wrong!

Your answer is quite right, Edward B :o

แนว refers to แหวกแนว, which means innovative or unconventional at the first step and the second step แนว refers to style. เด็กแนว will have their own styles(แนวใครแนวมัน).

There is no specific definition of เด็กแนว. Some said it means people who have the high self-confident, but some said เด็กแนว are people who like to copy their favorite idol's style of dressing such as punk, hip-hop .

เด็กแนว love to dress unusally such as in old jeans which look dirty, listen to indy music (there is a radio station in Thailand call Fat Radio, where there is a person who started to use the term เด็กแนว . Hence, เด็กแนว are people who love to listen to Fat Radio too.) and do so many things which common people don't do. Speaking with their own slang. Sometimes people call เด็กแนว as people who do things in perverse or cranky way. :D

แนว refers to แหวกแนว, which means innovative or unconventional at the first step and the second step แนว refers to style. เด็กแนว will have their own styles(แนวใครแนวมัน).

There is no specific definition of เด็กแนว. Some said it means people who have the high self-confident, but some said เด็กแนว are people who like to copy their favorite idol's style of dressing such as punk, hip-hop .

เด็กแนว love to dress unusally such as in old jeans which look dirty, listen to indy music (there is a radio station in Thailand call Fat Radio, where there is a person who started to use the term เด็กแนว . Hence, เด็กแนว are people who love to listen to Fat Radio too.) and do so many things which common people don't do. Speaking with their own slang. Sometimes people call เด็กแนว as people who do things in perverse or cranky way. :D

neo-hippies,punks,New Age, rap, etc, - there's nothing new anymore!

Nothing new under the sun.

How would you say that in Thai, to connect this thread to the Thai sayings thread...?

As far as I know, different daek naews have their own interpretations of the word, and some daek naews are pretty constructive in my view. You can even be a daek naew for saying NO to alcohol. It's a nice slang. I use it to refer to situational idiosyncrasies.

Edited by bangkokian

Your answer is quite right, Edward B :D

How would you say that in Thai, to connect this thread to the Thai sayings thread...?

ที่บ้านนอก ไม่มีอะไรใหม่แท้จริง :o

เสือดาวหิมะตัวจริงบ่เอาอีหยังใหม่มันฆ่าเเละกินเนื้อของเหยื่อที่อยู่บ้านนอกเหมือนเดิม

ถ้ามันอยู่ในเมืองเสือดาวหิมะต้องอยู่ในกรงเเละเป็นของเล่นของคน ชิวีตน่าสังเวช เสือดาวพันธุ์นี้มีนิสัยดัดจริตมันลึมบ้านนอกอาจจะมันกิน pizza ไม่ยอมกินตีนไก่อาจจะตัวเองมีตีนกาเเละทำศัลยกรรมเช่นดึงหน้า ตัวนี้เป็นปลอมจริงๆ !

เสือดาวหิมะตัวจริงบ่เอาอีหยังใหม่มันฆ่าเเละกินเนื้อของเหยื่อที่อยู่บ้านนอกเหมือนเดิม

ถ้ามันอยู่ในเมืองเสือดาวหิมะต้องอยู่ในกรงเเละเป็นของเล่นของคน ชิวีตน่าสังเวช เสือดาวพันธุ์นี้มีนิสัยดัดจริตมันลึมบ้านนอกอาจจะมันกิน pizza ไม่ยอมกินตีนไก่อาจจะตัวเองมีตีนกาเเละทำศัลยกรรมเช่นดึงหน้า ตัวนี้เป็นปลอมจริงๆ !

เมื่อคนเราดูหมิ่นตนเองแล้วคนอื่นก็จะดูหมิ่นเราด้วย :D