R.I.P. Martin Knapp

Yorkie

Only met Martin once in February last year on my first visit to Thailand. My gf wanted to take me to Surin and I agreed partly so I could check out FC. We nearly didn't find it as we were looking in the wrong part of the bus station. I'm glad now that I insisted on keeping looking. Such a nice welcoming guy. I hope he passed on enough of his knowledge to his family and staff so they can keep the place going as a tribute to Martin and to give them a good life. They deserve it. Also for all the people either regular or not who have such a good time there.

My condolences RIP

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very sad news.

Martin and I exchanged pleasantries a number of times during the Ashes series a few years back. He was always very passionate about his sport. :)

With only a couple of days difference in our ages I regarded him as my unfortunate pommy twin and he called me his convict one.

Always planned to get to Surin to meet him over a beer to discuss the cricket at length.

Brings home the mortality of us all.

RIP Martin.

Terry

We had a party for him here tonite, though many didn't know him, we all toasted his successes in life and as he would have wanted, raised a glass in a last salute to a great host and a good friend.

Years ago, when asked to describe what Thailand ment to him, he replied with words very true, and more honest that few dare to be. ``Thailand is to many of us, a second chance.`` Martain made the most of that second chance, drawing people who had previously never heard of Surin to the city by the sheer force of his personality. Upon arrival they met a welcoming, generous man whose helpfulness and generosity knew no bounds. Loyal to his friends and customers, a gentleman and a friend, a host and an entertainer, he left a lasting impression on all who met him.

If you can count your fortune by looking into the faces of your friends, Martin Knapp died a very wealthy and successful man,

Good bye my friend.

:)

When it is known, can someone (Dave, Yorkie) post the details of when and where the funeral will be...... some of us on the fringes would like to know.

Sorry about that Thad.

As previously mentioned, the number of friends yesterday was a bloody good gauge to the size of BFG's heart.

Nice words Cdnvic

This place just aint the same now.

Dave( the respectful wearer of the CFC shirt yesterday)

From C.R. surinfarang

So nice to read so many nice tributes for Martin on here unlike the condescending back to fronts on the Teak door web site , who I have No doubt have heard the sad news off Martins passing away ,but are so stuck so far up there on arse’s with there self righteous ways they cannot do a thing wrong . And cannot be bothered to post a

Message of condolence, what a bunch off tossers, sorry that cannot be recognized by spell check maybe I should have been with a capital T, Regards C.R.

When it is known, can someone (Dave, Yorkie) post the details of when and where the funeral will be...... some of us on the fringes would like to know.

Sorry about that Thad.

As previously mentioned, the number of friends yesterday was a bloody good gauge to the size of BFG's heart.

Nice words Cdnvic

I'm happy that the turn-out was good (how many of us could expect the same response) it's a pity that some of us in the outer areas didn't find out until after it had happened (and I have a fairly good idea what Martin's reply to that statement would have been) and more than a couple of people raised more than a couple of glasses in thr bsr tonight

My earlier two word post was made in a state of surprise as I hadn't been to the FC for quite a few months and didn't really know what to say, I still don't, Vic pretty much sums it up, and Khun Fat Git will be sorting out the kitchen in heaven right now

RIP Martin.... one of life's real good guys.

R.I.P. you old bugger.

I'd bet you will give them a bit of stick up there, Mate

Surin has lost a legend (like him or loathe him)

Thank you for your help and advice over the years, my friend

Dave & Sri

p.s. I think that 5-0 win was for you, Mountain

Lovely sentiment, Dave. RIP Marty......

Martin, you were always a great host and entertaining drinking partner.

I remember an early afternoon when another Martin that went on before you, told me to hurry up and get to the Farang Connection since you had secured 2 new bottles of JD.

Sorry I spent so little time with you. I wish I had had more. RIP

Condolences to your family.

kdf

This is the worst news upon my return from the US. So sorry to hear this.

My wife and I are deeply saddened.

Martin was not just a customer to us, but we considered him a friend.

He was active and a go-getter - and had a great sense of humor.

I could see many people cherished his friendship.

Our sincere condolences to his wife Sunee and all his family.

R.I.P. my friend.

Met Marty a few times had lovely breakfast and dinner at farang connection with my pal paddy.

Last time I met him he was doing chemotherapy. He was a great man and will be missed.

I stay in sisaket with my wife when on holidays and head up to Surin to visit my friend pat, have a foot massage and then go to Farang connection where we would meet Martin most times.

Our sincere condolences to all of his family.

R.I.P. Martin

R.I.P. you old bugger.

I'd bet you will give them a bit of stick up there, Mate

Surin has lost a legend (like him or loathe him)

Thank you for your help and advice over the years, my friend

Dave & Sri

p.s. I think that 5-0 win was for you, Mountain

I met martin once last november, whilst stopover in surin, going onto siem riep camb, He came up & introduced himself to me & g/f , offered assistance, He didn't look well then, sorry to here he passed on, seemed like a gentleman

regards songhklasid, wannida.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...