Need U.k T.v In Nakhonpathom,nr Bkk,help Pls......

nakhonfalung

Hello i really need some advice here,we are moving to our house in Nakhonpathom soon it is'nt to far from BKK,my parents will be staying with us alot,the problem is they love the tele,can someone pls tell me if i can get the british tv stations some how,ie BBC1,BBC2,ITV,CH4,like a satelite dish,anyone know of any company in BKK that can set it all up for me and how much it is all likely to cost,thanks for the help,i'm not bothered at all about the t.v,but it is very important to my parents.

Cheers everyone..

TV, in SE Asia in general, is very poorly served for homesick Brits. :)

I doubt there is any way that you will get those domestic channels in Thailand,

they are certainly not available on satellite.

BBC Entertainment and Granada TV are the only channels that come close.

I am not sure if either is carried by True.

With an independant satellite setup you will need a smart card for each channel

and that will be difficult to get in Thailand, due to current legislation.

There have been some threads here in the forum on the use of a Slingbox,

set up in the UK, to stream UK channels to your Thai home, if you can get

a sufficiently reliable internet connection.

Sorry not to be more helpful.

There is a guy in the classiefieds selling Uk tv. about 2,000 a month. i think its a slingbox setup. have a look. otherwise sign up to The Box AND download the tv they want to watch. if you have a good connection it doesnt take long and the stuff usually goes up within 24 hrs of screening.

If you are thinking of setting up Slingbox yourself, i might be interested in sharing (i live in NK)

Allan

Edited by thaicbr

You can download current UK programs within an hour or two of them being shown in the UK from http://www.thebox.bz and http://www.uknova.com. Alternatavely you can watch live UK television from http://www.filmon.com/splash/ if your internet speed is fast enough. Just remember that any evening programs in the UK will be in the middle of the night in Thailand so I find it better to download from the first two sights in the morning when I get up and watch them later in the day. PM me if you want an invite to the box. With UK Nova if their membership is full you'll have to just keep trying.

TheBox will not help for very long, unless you have material to contribute as well,

they expect you to upload as well as download.

Am checking out UKNova.

Thanks for the link. :)

TheBox will not help for very long, unless you have material to contribute as well,

Am checking out UKNova.

You don't have to contribute your own material to upload. What they want is, once you've downloaded material, for you to keep the torrent file open and not delete it until there are no more peers for that program. That way ,whilst your PC is on of course, your downloads are available to upload to other people. I've never uploaded any new material myself but by other people uploading from me (in the same way as I download from other people) my ratio is actually 1.322 which means I've uploaded about a third more than I've downloaded.

Hope this makes sense :D .

Am checking out UKNova.

You don't have to contribute your own material to upload. What they want is, once you've downloaded material, for you to keep the torrent file open and not delete it until there are no more peers for that program. That way ,whilst your PC is on of course, your downloads are available to upload to other people. I've never uploaded any new material myself but by other people uploading from me (in the same way as I download from other people) my ratio is actually 1.322 which means I've uploaded about a third more than I've downloaded.

Hope this makes sense :D .

Forgot to add UK Nova expect you to upload as well, but if your ratio drops with them they put a delay on when you can download. So if somebody puts a program on now and your ratio is bad you can't upload for maybe the first hour/two hours as a penalty.

Point taken.

Disc space is my problem and HD material soon fills it up.

I tend to transfer programmes to an external disc for use with my WDHD TV player.

How can I check my ratio with UKNova?

TheBox shows me at the top of the screen.

Point taken.

I tend to transfer programmes to an external disc for use with my WDHD TV player.

Click on your username . Top right of the screen. It will open your info.page.

They use a different system . A score system, not sure how it works but try to keep it at 100 or more.

As long as your score is going in the right direction you do not get banned.

The secret of the above two is to seed your torrents.

With The Box try and stick to the FREE torrents. Even if you do not want to watch them. They do not count on your download score but count towards your seeding score. Giving you a good ratio.

Point taken.

You can buy an external hard drive to store all your downloads. I bought a 320GB USB hard drive for less than 2000baht. Just remember to keep it plugged in to get the uploads.

UK Nova doesn't penalise you with time delays once you get your score to 90 and they're a lot more tolerant than The Box if your score is below that. Lite Beer's point about downloading all the free torrents, whether you want to watch them or not is a good one. The uploads you get from them will help your ratio.