อย่าง

Jack Jones

I'm nearing the end of my Thai intermediate book and Becker has introduced the word อย่าง as well as giving some example sentences. However, she doesn't go into a detailed definition of this word other than to say it means type, like, sort. Hence I'm a bit confussed with how to use the word when constructing sentences.

She gives the following example, which I know means 'I fell in love with you without knowing it' but can someone provide me with an explanation of how to use the word อย่าง?

ผมรักคุณอย่างไม่รู้ตัว

I'm nearing the end of my Thai intermediate book and Becker has introduced the word อย่าง as well as giving some example sentences. However, she doesn't go into a detailed definition of this word other than to say it means type, like, sort. Hence I'm a bit confussed with how to use the word when constructing sentences.

She gives the following example, which I know means 'I fell in love with you without knowing it' but can someone provide me with an explanation of how to use the word อย่าง?

ผมรักคุณอย่างไม่รู้ตัว

Have a look here for "yaang":

http://www.thai2english.com/dictionary/21930.html

I am sure Thai2English has great examples, but one major function of อย่าง is to form adjective phrases.

Sometimes "as if", "as" or "like" are good translations of this word.

In this case, the whole phrase "อย่างไม่รู้ตัว" could be translated as "unawares". [H]ruu [M]tua is a set expression meaning "to be aware (one ones feelings or actions)".

ผมรักคุณอย่างรากต้นไม้ในดินรักหยาดฝน

I love you like the root in the earth loves the raindrop.

I am sure Thai2English has great examples, but one major function of อย่าง is to form adjective phrases.

In this case, the whole phrase "อย่างไม่รู้ตัว" could be translated as "unawares". [H]ruu [M]tua is a set expression meaning "to be aware (one ones feelings or actions)".

It has about 50 examples of the use of yaang :o

ผมรักคุณอย่างไม่รู้ตัว

LOL! I would be very dubious of any Thai language book that postulates two people in love using formal pronouns to each other. The above phrase is part classic bar boy Thai spoken to hookers using bar girl English. But the phrase implies "I love you to the point (so much) that I can't control myself.

MS, you should publish a handbook for tongue-tied foreigners to use on their better halves, perhaps a chapter for each mood, there was that book "Heart talk' a few years back but that only covered words to do withใจ, yours could be whole sentences with metaphors using อย่าง

For example:' how are you today, my love?'

'วันนี้ผมเบื่ชีวิตออย่าง........

Alternatively we could update some western sayings and adapt them to Thailand, I remember the expression,' the man who is tired of London is tired of life',( Johnson, Pepys? I forget the author), this could be modified to คนใดเบื่อประเทศไทยเป็นคนเบื่อชีวิต

It has about 50 examples of the use of yaang :o

When translate word which is adverb to Thai, it's usually started with อย่าง...

อย่าง used before a noun to form an adverb, often equivalent the English suffix-like, before an adjective equivalent to -ly ,as. Sometimes in colloquuial usage อย่าง becomes ยัง such as;อย่างไร = ยังไง , อย่างนี้ = ยังงี้ , อย่างนั้น = ยังงั้น.

• 2 weeks later...