One Guy's Effort To Learn Thai In 8 Weeks

leah

If I can convince just a few of those people to try again with a different approach, I'd feel like I would have achieved something important, even if I didn't end up speaking Thai itself :)

I think it's more a matter of personality. Based on your videos I can see that you're outgoing, brimming with self-confidence and not afraid to make mistakes. I'm not any of those. I often find myself composing sentences in Thai in my head for use in the situation I'm in. I rarely have the courage to actually utter those sentences.

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Ratsima

Thanks for the compliments! However, I'd argue that outgoing-ness is a skill that can be learned like any other :D

When I started these language learning travels (still only speaking English) at 20, I was extremely shy and introvert and nothing like what you see in the videos. (I'd describe myself as nothing more than an awkward Maths nerd at that stage) .

I argue on my site that shyness can be overcome if you put your mind to it! I have made SO MANY MISTAKES in speaking foreign languages in the last 7 years that I literally don't care any more (to the point where I am no longer intimidated by any aspect of a language, as you can see in my retorts in this thread). It took time for it to sink in, but people don't stand around, point and guffaw at you for using the wrong conjugation/noun gender/tone :)

One thing I do is embrace mistakes and accept that what I'm saying WILL be wrong. I never aim for perfection, as this is always way too intimidating. I aim to say "something" and that's surprisingly easy, no matter what your level may be.

Next time you might speak Thai, have the goal of making 100 mistakes in as short a time as possible! It's a weird goal, but it gets you over the intimidating process when your goal may be to speak sentences with absolutely zero mistakes. I know it's hardly a quick fix, but please give it a try and let me know how it goes :D

Don’t Be Scared – What’s The Worst That Could Happen?

Here's a couple recent experiences:

1 - For a couple of years I tutored two Thai sisters in English. I'd met them at their parents' minimart. They're a very nice and friendly family. Although I don't tutor them anymore, I still used to stop in to buy a few beers and have a chat. Shortly after the New Year I went in and the entire family was there. I was chatting with the sisters in English and trying to talk to the parents in Thai. I must have said something awful because all four of their jaws dropped, the conversation stopped and it was clear it was time for me to leave. Next time I went in they all ignored me. If I see them on the road, it's eyes down. So, for one error in Thai a very nice five year relationship with a Thai family is finished.

2 - I used to frequent a Thai restaurant near my home. The menu is in Thai and because I can read it they assume I can speak Thai. I cannot. One day one of the waitresses with whom I like to flirt a bit asked me a question in Thai. I thought she asked if I was waiting for a friend. So, I said "No." Her face went blank and she walked away. A moment later one of the waitress who can speak English said to me, "Why did you do that? She just asked if she could be your friend and you said 'No'." It used to be that when I rode my bicycle past that place the waitresses would always wave and smile. Now they just give me a dirty look. Needless to say, I don't dine there any longer. So, for one error in Thai what was once an enjoyable dining experience is now kaput.

These recent experiences simply reinforced my reticence to make mistakes.

As I said above, I unknowingly told a little girl (very crudely) that I wanted to have sex with her in Brazil... that was in front of her parents. I've had a huge amount of linguistic mix ups that would make you cringe if I listed them, and I could list a LOT!! I got arrested on one occasion, and nearly deported on another because of screwing up what I meant to say in serious formal situations. So I know "what's the worst that can happen" and look at casual chats with people in the street with very little seriousness because of it :)

Embarrassments are a necessary part of learning a language. The way I would deal with both of your situations would be to confront those people next time I see them and apologise sincerely for any offence I may have caused and explain what I was trying to say. I'd tell the waitress that instead of "no" I meant to say "absolutely, definitely positively yes" and maybe get a giggle or something - taking advantage of the situation. You never know if you don't try! I use the same approach with languages and meeting girls; I'm happy to get 50 no-s and flirt with a large number, just enjoying the conversations, rather than the goal being to meet the girl of my dreams on a particular night. This approach actually leads to more success than genuinely trying really hard. As I said, not aiming for perfection in most situations, actually yields much better results :D

Even if they didn't forgive you in your situations, it would clear the air somewhat and show that maybe they aren't worth wasting your time on if they hold grudges for so long. Relationships can be mended my friend, give it a try :D

You also have to embrace embarrassment in the same way as I suggested for language mistakes. Don't take yourself so seriously :D I'm sure there are cases when you have spoken Thai and been very proud of it; you should focus on that!

Just my two "satang"! :D

@tombkk Thanks for the good luck wishes! Could you give me some examples of multi-syllable unique words in Thai? I really don't think it could compare with European languages - I mean Thai seems to prefer compound words like all the ones with ใจ (heart) for example that are absolutely unique words in European languages. Maybe most of the language doesn't do this, but a lot of vocabulary I've come across so far seems to be just single or double syllables or compound words.

First word that comes to mind is mahawittiyalay (university), and sorry I cannot type Thai on this keybaord.

Maha = big

Wittiyalay = college

I'm sure you can break it into more pieces, but I am not a linguist. I understand that words coming from Chinese are usually mono-syllabic, but words from Sanskrit or Pali are not.

I also agree with todd-daniels and his milk examples. Meanings of word change when put into different contexts. When you learn Chinese, you will learn one-, two- three-, four-syllable expresssions, and the meaning changes. You don't just add the meaning of the different syllables. Because of that, there is a school that says that Chinese is not a mono-syllabic language. While they are in the minority, there is no school (that I know of) that says Thai is a mono-syllabic language. It isn't, never mind what you replied to todd-daniels.

Unless you are an academic linguist who is developing a new theory, that is. But you have to go a lot deeper to become credible with this new theory in the academic world.

I have been following Irishpolyglot's progress on this website and his own blog for a few weeks and found it very interesting. I have been learning Thai for 4 years and have got to the point of being able to get by in Thai. I have learned all the tone rules and can read and speak with correct tones though often it doesnt come out correctly.

I have found his positive approach refreshing. I have always worked on the premise that negativity is the worst enemy to learning a new language. I can't agree more with him that being able to laugh at yourself, not take yourself too seriously and not be worried about making mistakes. I have a number of Thai friends who go out of their way to help me with my Thai because I at least try. They speak slowly, correct me when I make mistakes and most importantly laugh with me, not at me, when I make errors. I have struck up some really good friendships because I try to speak the language.

I have always found that learning new vocab is a chore and I nearly always forget a new word the day after I have learned it. I read with interest his blog about making stories up for each new word. Since doing that I have been adding 5 new words a day and I can remember them all. Plus it's fun. Here is an example: The word 'to wear' is: sooam. Word association for Eng is: sue em. So I have this picture of the Eng footie team wearing Georgio Armani Suits to the world cup but not realising that they are fake (probably bought in Thailand) Georgio Armani threatens to 'sue em' for wearing the fake suits. He offers a settlement figure which will only 'rise' if the FA refuse to pay promptly. So I have the word, the meaning and the rising tone in 1 story.

Keep the news coming Irish. Your positivity inspires me rather than making me compare myself to you.

There's a video on youtube that helps with distinguishing tones. It's a really good starting point since the same word in different tones mean completely different things.

Go to youtube and search for "Learn Thai Language: Distinguishing between the tones". There's also a self-test video as well. (The video is by youtube user tina2112anit)

Hope this helps!

Thanks so much for that comment Toffeeman!! You applied the association technique I suggested perfectly! I love your colourful association for "to wear". Others who argue that this is too much work, would to well to note that making such illustrative examples comes very naturally very quickly after practice, and you only need to use the association a couple of times and then it's burnt into memory so you never slow down and just know the word immediately.

For learning the tones with words, rather than include them in an association, I try to learn simply the FIRST LETTER of the word (i.e. the Thai symbol). In most cases this is all you need since the rest (short or long vowel, ending consonant) is included in the pronunciation and makes it clear what tone it is if you are familiar with the rules. This would also help in actually reading and writing the word. Of course this changes if there is a tone mark (in which case your rise association would come in very useful!) For words starting with a silent ห, I'd add something representing that symbol into the association rather than the tone itself; building on my ability to read and write as well as say the word.

I'm very glad you see the point of my blog - I get frustrated when people just say "it's all well for YOU, but [excuse #1, excuse #2...] is MY situation." A positive attitude is free for everyone :)

I've only got just over a week left here - I still have one final somewhat useful achievement to make in Thai that I'll be focussing on over the weekend (been working double time since I got back to Bangkok unfortunately) and showing on the blog, but otherwise I have put in very little work into learning Thai (this stay was my break; I will be speaking very little English on extremely difficult full-immersion missions for most of this year), so I'm insistent that it isn't that bad if I can see what I've seen in nothing more than about 10-15 hours of cumulative work. The main thing I've achieved in this stay is gaining the confidence in seeing that Thai and, more generally, reading a strange script and getting a basic understanding of tones is not intimidating at all. Confidence is worth *thousands* of words of vocabulary. :D

I have found his positive approach refreshing. I have always worked on the premise that negativity is the worst enemy to learning a new language. I can't agree more with him about being able to laugh at yourself, not take yourself too seriously and not be worried about making mistakes.

I wholeheartedly agree with this. For best results, learning Thai or any other language should be fun; not a chore. When I find things getting tedious or I start getting frustrated, that's when I know it's time to put the book down or turn the computer off and go do something else. After a break my attitude usually improves, I'm less stressed and I'm able to concentrate on learning once again.

It's when I start getting mad at myself for not doing as well as I feel I should when those poisonous negative thoughts about giving up arise. Nothing keeps me wanting to continue learning more as much as having just had a really enjoyable, light hearted and friendly conversation with a Thai person I have just met. After all, making new friends and enjoying the culture is why I wanted to start learning Thai in the first place. As I progress I try to give myself a little positive reinforcement each time in the form of a little self praise. I am not by nature a conceited person who goes around blowing his own horn but this tried and true method works well for me just like it did with Pavlov's dog.

Don’t Be Scared – What’s The Worst That Could Happen?

Here's a couple recent experiences:

1 - For a couple of years I tutored two Thai sisters in English. I'd met them at their parents' minimart. They're a very nice and friendly family. Although I don't tutor them anymore, I still used to stop in to buy a few beers and have a chat. Shortly after the New Year I went in and the entire family was there. I was chatting with the sisters in English and trying to talk to the parents in Thai. I must have said something awful because all four of their jaws dropped, the conversation stopped and it was clear it was time for me to leave. Next time I went in they all ignored me. If I see them on the road, it's eyes down. So, for one error in Thai a very nice five year relationship with a Thai family is finished.

2 - I used to frequent a Thai restaurant near my home. The menu is in Thai and because I can read it they assume I can speak Thai. I cannot. One day one of the waitresses with whom I like to flirt a bit asked me a question in Thai. I thought she asked if I was waiting for a friend. So, I said "No." Her face went blank and she walked away. A moment later one of the waitress who can speak English said to me, "Why did you do that? She just asked if she could be your friend and you said 'No'." It used to be that when I rode my bicycle past that place the waitresses would always wave and smile. Now they just give me a dirty look. Needless to say, I don't dine there any longer. So, for one error in Thai what was once an enjoyable dining experience is now kaput.

These recent experiences simply reinforced my reticence to make mistakes.

I find this strange.

I have made some huge clangers when talking with not just friends, but also people I had not met before, and in each situation people have never ignored me after making a mistake, more like rolled around on the floor laughing in some cases, and correcting me.. and believe me, some of them have been huge.

Did you not explain to the waitress in the restaurant that you had misunderstood the original question ? Or did you just leave it at that ? Why wouldn't you explain and make right ??

Totster :)

For learning the tones with words, rather than include them in an association, I try to learn simply the FIRST LETTER of the word (i.e. the Thai symbol).

Written Thai uses an alphabet, with consonants and vowels, i.e., "letters" - not "symbols."

One would think that a person studying written Thai for seven weeks with the avowed presumption of "fluentin3months," would have learned that much.

It would also not be too much to expect that a self-described "polyglot" would have by now noticed multi-syllable words in Thai. As Rikker mentioned, nearly 25 per cent of Thai vocabulary is of Indic origin, a significant proportion of which are not monosyllabic.

Lest some knees jerk too quickly, I do applaud the effort being made, and especially his stated intention to inspire some among the vast multitudes of lazy farangs to actually make some effort to learn the language of the country that they profess to "love." Following this thread from the start with curiosity, I held my own counsel about what seemed to be clearly outlandish claims - in order to give it a chance to play out.

But his own hubris invites critical appraisal: when one blithely advertises himself as capable of being "fluent" in a given time span, any and all subsequent excuses on the order of "well, I didn't really mean fluent" ring hollow, indeed.

หน้าด้านจังเลย

To wit: I notice that this particularly bold assertion has not been revisited (perhaps in the hope that it will be forgotten):

* I plan to be able to spontaneously read aloud ANY TEXT (that I've never seen before, e.g. newspaper article) by the end of the 8 weeks (in such a way that it's understood well) and have some level of conversation (approximately lower intermediate). I'm not aiming for parrot-level with just a store of words and phrases I can repeat; I want to actually communicate....

ไม่มีทาง - regardless of the "revolutionary learning method."

And the statement: "Could you give me some examples of multi-syllable unique words in Thai? I really don't think it could compare with European languages - I mean Thai seems to prefer compound words like all the ones with ใจ (heart) for example that are absolutely unique words in European languages. Maybe most of the language doesn't do this, but a lot of vocabulary I've come across so far seems to be just single or double syllables or compound words" - displays an irrefutably low level, probably even far lower than some of us mere mortals who do not publicly anoint ourselves "polyglot" within the same timeframe.

Nothing revolutionary has been demonstrated herewith.

How does this "method" resolve the pronunciation of Indic words, in their various permutations? In the reading aloud of unfamiliar texts, how does he know when the final consonant of one syllable doubles as the beginning consonant of the next - and when it doesn't? How can he recognize when the pronunciation changes, depending upon which word follows in a given phrase?

What is the pronunciation of ประวัติศาสตร์ ?

One who has not been even able to recognize polysyllabic words in the language is unlikely to be able to read street signs aloud and be "understood well," much less a random headline in a newspaper. "ANY TEXT," indeed...

I do wish you the best of luck in all your language-learning endeavours, sir.

But perhaps a modicum of humility would serve you well in the exercise. As mentioned by another poster, the culture is the key to Thai language. Consulting some age-old wisdom should be beneficial: หมาขี้ไม่มีใครยกหาง

There's a video on youtube that helps with distinguishing tones. It's a really good starting point since the same word in different tones mean completely different things.

Hope this helps!

No, it doesn't.

In Thai, there is no such thing as "the same word in different tones." They are different words.

Dear "Polyglot boy" (and I think - unlike you - I have a right to call you that) - we all wish you well, we hope you will succeed and add some positive knowledge to anyones ability in learning Thai.

But - so far - as most "long term Thai learners" would probably agree you have only shown us that "you are full of it" - mostly of yourself.

Edited by Parvis

Hope this helps!

No, it doesn't.

In Thai, there is no such thing as "the same word in different tones." They are different words.

You must know exactly what she was trying to say as anyone who has studied thai for a while would have.

* I plan to be able to spontaneously read aloud ANY TEXT (that I've never seen before, e.g. newspaper article) by the end of the 8 weeks (in such a way that it's understood well) and have some level of conversation (approximately lower intermediate). I'm not aiming for parrot-level with just a store of words and phrases I can repeat; I want to actually communicate. This will not be easy, but I am confident that I have a good chance. My success will have much more to do with efficient study and the application method rather than intelligence and "natural ability". (I failed languages in school; this is a recent passion for me)
Benny, at the end of your 8 weeks let's meet up again and I can help you assess how far you came. I'll be very interested to hear you read aloud, and if you get my thumbs up, that should earn you a few points with the naysayers around here. ;P

I've been away. And now I'm confused.

Is Benny going to take Rikker's 'test' and read out loud an unseen passage, non-parrot fashion?

Is Benny going to take Rikker's 'test' and read out loud an unseen passage, non-parrot fashion?

After I finally finish this monstrous work project that's kept me indoors for most of the last 3 weeks (incl. weekends), this weekend I'll attempt to make a video in Thai out in the streets communicating basically with others. After that I'll decide what tests I'll go through before leaving, if any. I'd mostly like to meet Rikker again for a friendly chat to be honest :D If I feel like I'm ready for such a test, I'll let ppl know. If not I'll say what I did and did not achieve in this mission.

The encouraging tone from this forum has been dampened somewhat in recent responses! Haven't you guys (mangkom & parvis) ever heard of ambition before? :D If you aim high and "only" get 80% of what you initially planned for, then that's still a pretty dam_n good achievement. Aim for the stars and land on the moon! :D Sorry guys, but I'm a happy Irish optimist, so you can't drag me down with your ego-bashes and dull comments nitpicking ways that 100% perfection isn't possible :D

Other people in this forum and comments on my website say that my advice has made an impact in their Thai studies. That's way more important than my own temporary language learning project, so I'm going to leave happy no matter what :)

After I finally finish this monstrous work project that's kept me indoors for most of the last 3 weeks (incl. weekends), this weekend I'll attempt to make a video in Thai out in the streets communicating basically with others. After that I'll decide what tests I'll go through before leaving, if any. I'd mostly like to meet Rikker again for a friendly chat to be honest :D If I feel like I'm ready for such a test, I'll let ppl know. If not I'll say what I did and did not achieve in this mission.

The encouraging tone from this forum has been dampened somewhat in recent responses! Haven't you guys (mangkom & parvis) ever heard of ambition before? :D If you aim high and "only" get 80% of what you initially planned for, then that's still a pretty dam_n good achievement. Aim for the stars and land on the moon! :D Sorry guys, but I'm a happy Irish optimist, so you can't drag me down with your ego-bashes and dull comments nitpicking ways that 100% perfection isn't possible :D

Other people in this forum and comments on my website say that my advice has made an impact in their Thai studies. That's way more important than my own temporary language learning project, so I'm going to leave happy no matter what :)

I have forebore to comment up to now being satisfied to see you perform, the only point would be to say 'I told you so' and I feared that I might be wrong. :D I imagine that you will be itching to return and continue for what must be one of the more unique reasons anyone has had to return to Bangkok, since in your 'cell' you will have missed something.

Why not lower the sights a little and go for a primary school book of some level instead of a newspaper? Both the story line and print is clear. When reading publicly you should have the chance to rehearse too, anything I read in public I would expect to practise first even if it were in English.

Edited by tgeezer

Polyglot - you also appear to have difficulties in English comprehension. If you were to re-read my post you may notice I did not at any time criticize your attempt to do what appears to be rather difficult. However I was critical of your deprecating use of the word "boy" and comments to critisize "mangkorn" - which in my opinion shows your immaturity.

Assuming you actually considered both posts "egobashing" - it would appear your ego is rather fragile - suggesting - but not proving - there is very little substance behind your claims.

I also feel - there is too much "negativity" by posters in their lack of ability to learn Thai. Their "impossible hurdles" to overcome tend to be mostly - in their minds. Therefore, I welcome your efford to show many of us that it can be done in a comparitively short time. Hopefully your "intense efford" will show results which you can demonstrate. Should you feel you have not been as successful as you had planned - I still suggest make comments on the specific difficulties you encountered to learn Thai.

And most of all - continue to be an Optimist.

Edited by Parvis

I suggest we give Benny a break; his attitude and enthusiasm have, as he says "made an impact" on other people's Thai studies i.e. given encouragement to other people who may be thinking of learning the language.

People who belittle his achievements should remember that he's not the first person to be floored by meeting their first tonal Asian language, and he certainly won't be the last. The complete disconnect between Thai and the Indo-European language family make this an imposing challenge, the magnitude of which I'm sure Benny now understands.

Benny, I look forward to your blog description of what you feel you did achieve and where you think you fell short.

Readers of your blog (and the majority of posters here) will not think less of you for admitting that you didn't get as far as you originally expected, and will continue to salute your enthusiasm and attitude.

'Fluent', as I and probably most others know, means different things to different people. Throwing in goals of reading 'any text' is also understandably going to bring out the I-gotta-see-this attitude in many people, especially among those with experience studying Thai. Although I'm one who holds a rather rigorous interpretation of 'fluent', I do want to see how IP does, and encourage him to give it a go.

One idea for a test could be to have a second party pick out ten or more Thai scripted sentences from a typical phrasebook and have IP read them to a Thai. The Thai shall write down in Thai exactly what he/she thinks IP said, and what isn't understood at all can be left blank. The Thai shall not translate into English, in order to keep their potential translation errors out. IP shall not reiterate the idea of the sentence using different words or use hand gestures. IP may repeat the sentence multiple times as necessary. The Thai may not illicit more information by asking questions, or offering alternate pronunciations in an attempt at clarification. The sentences can be compared later for matching accuracy. Just make sure to have the Thai volunteer write as legibly as possible so it can be read, or verify it after they've written it down before they depart. A different Thai volunteer can be used for each sentence if desired to add variety, or so as to not burden one volunteer too much. That the sentences come from a phrasebook and contain rather common vocabulary and grammar in sentences that a tourist might actually need and use, should help to alleviate some debate as to whether the sentences are too easy or too academic and difficult. These given sentences and Thai interpretations can later be posted for all to compare and draw their own conclusions about how fluent IP has become.

In any case, 100% or 20%, I'll give IP credit for having the gumption to be put to the test, especially if he posts it in the form of a video.

Polyglot - you also appear to have difficulties in English comprehension. If you were to re-read my post you may notice I did not at any time criticize your attempt to do what appears to be rather difficult. However I was critical of your deprecating use of the word "boy" and comments to critisize "mangkorn" - which in my opinion shows your immaturity.

Assuming you actually considered both posts "egobashing" - it would appear your ego is rather fragile - suggesting - but not proving - there is very little substance behind your claims.

I also feel - there is too much "negativity" by posters in their lack of ability to learn Thai. Their "impossible hurdles" to overcome tend to be mostly - in their minds. Therefore, I welcome your efford to show many of us that it can be done in a comparitively short time. Hopefully your "intense efford" will show results which you can demonstrate. Should you feel you have not been as successful as you had planned - I still suggest make comments on the specific difficulties you encountered to learn Thai.

And most of all - continue to be an Optimist.

Parvis,

Such hostility from what I would be willing to bet is a misunderstanding on your part.

"Boy" can be used in a demeaning way: " You don't know as much as you think, boy". But it can also be a general exclamation: "Boy that was a great game!"

Go back and read his replies. He writes @(username) a space, then starts his reply. If he formatted his post in a different way I don't think you'd find it offensive.

Mangkorn,

Boy when you go off on a rant you really go for it.

It seems like you're really overreacting especially since the post wasn't even directed at you.

Edited by kikenyoy

For learning the tones with words, rather than include them in an association, I try to learn simply the FIRST LETTER of the word (i.e. the Thai symbol).

Written Thai uses an alphabet, with consonants and vowels, i.e., "letters" - not "symbols."

One would think that a person studying written Thai for seven weeks with the avowed presumption of "fluentin3months," would have learned that much.

If you want to be that technical about it...Thai uses an abugida, NOT an alphabet.

Personally, I have been studying Thai almost full time for the past 12 weeks, with a group very motivated.

I used to say I could "read" Thai as I initially knew the Thai alphabet and could order food using the Thai menu in restaurants, and read the street signs. 555 :)

Now, I modestly say that I'm still in the process of learning how to read Thai.

I can start "reading" the newspapers, very slowly and with a dictionary next to me.

8 weeks of small part-time work to achieve the initial goals from the OP was just not enough effort.

Learning Thai is not Mission Impossible, but you have to believe in Santa Claus if you think there is a magic "method" to learn it without a minimum time and effort investment.

No Pain, No Gain!

Happy Learning!

Personally, I have been studying Thai almost full time for the past 12 weeks, with a group very motivated.

I used to say I could "read" Thai as I initially knew the Thai alphabet and could order food using the Thai menu in restaurants, and read the street signs. 555 :)

Now, I modestly say that I'm still in the process of learning how to read Thai.

I can start "reading" the newspapers, very slowly and with a dictionary next to me.

8 weeks of small part-time work to achieve the initial goals from the OP was just not enough effort.

Learning Thai is not Mission Impossible, but you have to believe in Santa Claus if you think there is a magic "method" to learn it without a minimum time and effort investment.

No Pain, No Gain!

Happy Learning!

yes good post,how many people can actually read thai and talk thai fluently.... i think is very minimal compared to the number of foriegners living here.10 years for me and still a struggle at times.

Edited by NADTATIDA1

Thanks for the responses everyone!!

@Parvis The boy thing was what irritated you?? Please read Kikenyoy's explanation. I was using it as an exclamation, sorry if lack of comma or exclamation mark made the meaning ambiguous. Frankly I find it ironic that you call me out on "difficulties in English comprehension" and you've clearly had that yourself with what I wrote... Let's just call a truce - I wasn't calling anyone boy!!! In Ireland we say boyo for that :D

@Rick Thanks for the defence! Just so you know, I wasn't floored by my first Asian language :) All difficulties I ran into are universal for all languages; lack of time commitment (due to unfortunately needing to pay off a debt and working double time as I mentioned), and drive to make the first step of speaking (out of laziness: I'm human! And my be-a-tourist side experiment of speaking English for once, went overboard). I honestly didn't find the concept of tones or the script frightening after approaching them with an upbeat attitude, even though many could argue that I'd know 0.01% of what tones/script really are, I'm hoping my posts about them show differently. I am actually leaving Thailand with a very confident attitude of my first Asian language from what I have seen, far from feeling deflated by the experience :D

@Thaiclub For my purposes there is no discussion of fluency here. I was never aiming for that in Thai. My blog is fluent-in-3-months because that is what I usually do, and my upcoming next mission starting late March will be an extremely high objective, as per usual, unlike my basic reading/speaking goals of Thai. Your test is definitely a great way to go about it. I can't promise that I'll test my reading, but I am all set for the video this weekend! (Uploading to site on Monday most likely, as long as I have something upload-worthy!)

The purpose of the video will not be to brag about any (parrot like) progress I've made in Thai; I'll have a different message that I'm hoping will help people.

I will of course summarise the mission and explain what I found hard and what I didn't, with advice for those attempting the same thing :D

Thanks again for the interesting discussion everyone, and sorry if I unintentionally offended anyone!!

Polyglot - the post "irritated me" - but only in the respect that it was condenscending - not necessarily the "boy" - which could have been just an exclamation.

On some other issue - I find that your remark "English has the same tones" - which is ofcourse correct - lacks the understanding that the tones are not what makes Thai difficult - but the use of the tones to differentiate between different words which may sound identical to the "untrained ear".