Canadian Confesses, Pays Fine At Phuket Court

webfact

What kind of tourist travels somewhere and doesn't ask beforehand how much from point A to B. Shouldn't you, as a friend, tell him how much it would be for a Taxi?

I'm truly surprised by the comments of worldly people that do things and take part in activities without knowing some background history on it.

A fool is born every day.....

Little do you realise it but your argument here rests squarely on the assumption that if an individual does something foolish once, he is a fool rather than just a wise man making a mistake. The second assumption you obviously think sound is that upon doing something foolish, your fool always deserves whatever results he gets- however bad or "over the top" they may be. This, I postulate, is rather foolish thinking. Please don't embarrass yourself by asking why, or I will come up with the most ridiculous real life example I can think of and ensure it makes you look very silly. Speaking of which.

As for why I did not advise him- it is a little hard to advise someone before you have met them or even know of their existence. I was not born knowing this friend- and am surprised to hear you think that is normally how things work. But as you said.. every day.

@Ta22- happy new year to you too. :)

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree that the biggest villains are the `Dons` - the owners who pay the graft contributing to the predominant rotten corruption. But you are way off mark portraying the the drivers as innocent hard working artisans.

Tuk tuk experiences are the number one bad experience tourists complain of when visiting the island. Why is that? Most don`t read this forum so are unlikely to be predjudiced. That must leave their experiences - of being charged 1st world prices in a 3rd world country for a 10th rate service. Of agreeing one (overpriced) fare and being charged more upon arrival at destination, often with menaces. Of being driven by a surly drunk. Of being constantlty pestered while out for a leisurely stroll. Of having nowhere to park, and being attacked if they park in a public spot stolen by these thugs.

No one forces these guys to be tuk tuk drivers. There are plenty of jobs on the building sites where it seems only the burmese are prepared to get their hands dirty.

I really think they expect tourists to walk towards them with their wallets open inviting them to take what they want. When that doesnt happen, thats when they get angry and violent.

:) Please read and understand my post, , where in gods name ,tell me did i ever come near to saying''the drivers are innocent hard working artisans''[even though a lot of them are !!

I merely have made an effort to balance this debate by posting some facts that many people dont know or more likely dont want to know[dont want to have facts interferring with a good ''lynch mob hysteria do we''!]

You or i or anyone else who unfortunately found themselves caught up in a similar situation would have no option but to do the same.IT IS SURVIVAL for them.Also as i said I DO NOT CONDONE IN ANY WAY, THEIR ACTIONS!!

Sure ,there is also an element of thugs entrenched there, and that no doubt extends from the very visible driver right up to the hidden money makers in high society[iMO the biggest thugs] but that is no different to,; many western police forces, military, taxis, football teams,etc, etc ad nauseum;All over the world, in every walk of life, you will find thugs!

And yes i do agree with what you have said above..they are a blight, and annoying and yes they take all the car parks, but as i said ''

The sheer number of tuk-tuks that are leased to these drivers by the owners [the big money makers] are the root cause of all these problems. Unfortunately the people who are the cause are also the ones who have the power [probably by law or at least legislation] to put an end to this fiasco!! Are they going to? 5555555 No way, far too big an earner for them!!.

As i have said in another post. ONLY THE COLLECTIVE ANGRY POWER OF THE AVERAGE, LONG SUFFERING THAI CITIZENS WILL CHANGE THIS SITUATION And i know for a fact that a lot of regular Thais have had enough of this already. It will happen IMHO....

I have posted similar opinions as Happy In K regarding the culture of VIOLENCE that the tuk tuk mafia drivers find themselves in. They are subject to violence if they don't follow their mafia rules, they are prone to violence if customers don't cave in to their over the top expectations. However, I couldn't disagree more that they are going to revolt and give Phuket a cost efficient and convenient public transportation system. They aren't the slightest bit interested in the public good. Yes it is all survival and money for them. No, that alone doesn't make them evil, of course. However it is a dream that a tuk tuk mafia drivers revolt (if it happens) is going to change things for the better for the PUBLIC. Maybe for them. Only a government that actually cares about the public and that includes TOURISTS (whose happiness is vital to Phuket's future as a popular destination) have the potential power to really make a positive change for the public. Will they do anything other than lip service? Fat chance, also.

Real life example. How did it happen that Bangkok's taxi meters now mostly use their meters when it used to be none of them did? Was it a driver's revolt? Of course not! It was strong government.

Edited by Jingthing

Interesting twist. Did he plead guilty to get out of the country? Did he do it? I see a saga beginning.

I would not be surprised if he really kicked the tuk tuk driver.....I have seen too many aggressive farangs.

If farangs had kicked a Tuk Tuk driver they would be in jail. I have been coming to Phuket for more than 10 years and now live here permanently. I have stayed at several hotels. There was always a mob of those Tuk Tuk drivers across the street from the Kata Beach Resort taking up all the parking spaces on more than a block just sitting around making remarks about farang women. I am not surprised that after one visit to Phuket that people - particularly families - decide not to come back. Not only for the high prices of everything - including the very high charges the Tuk Tuk drivers charge - and the rudeness of those Tuk Tuk drivers. I would love for some farang to kick their as--s up one side of the street and down another. "Aggressive farangs?!" Give me a break! None of them are as rude and just plain nasty like the Tuk Tuk drivers along Kata, Karon, & Patong. It appears as though only the Government in Bangkok can do something about them. Certainly the Governor of Phuket - who probably gets kickbacks from the Tuk Tuk mob - isn't going to do anything. He is a big talker. He is all over the island dining with big wheels and talking. That's all he does, talk, talk, talk.

I am a foreigner ( iranian/dutch) living in holland. When i came here i was surprised about the fact that foreigners did not try to behave as they should in a country where they are new comers ( specially a portion of people from certain countries wich were at the time mostly completely uneducated guest workers ). As a foreigner/new comer you have a responsibility to behave better than the standards in that society and even then you will have trouble being accepted a little by the people of that country. We can find many excuses for the people who could or would not blend in or even behave... :)

First time i was in thailand i was even more shocked about the bad behaviour of the tourist :D s/expats and after i got to know some people i noticed that thai people i knew started complaining to me and telling me all the shit :D they had to put up with the "farangs" who behave like they own the place and thais who are seving them in a way ( hotel/hospital etc) are actualy their servants :D .

20 years ago i was wandering when the situation is going to change and anti immigrant sentiments which are very common and natural to humans going to surface ( it did ) the same thing seems realistic in the way thai people are ever more viewing the tourists/ new comers with 1 big difference that the foreigners mostly brig money into country and create jobs and are needen to some extent.

I don't know why i started this but just look around in thailand and you will see that a lot of people coming here have not learned to behave themself. I am not trying to say that the thais are perfect, yes a lot of things annoy me ass well. But let's look at our own faults too.

No one could tell for sure what the story behind this canadian-tuk tuk fight is, but yes the drivers have a rough life as do the BG etc

One taxidriver in bangkok brought me to a tailor so he could get a coupon for gas as a reward from the owner. I went in, talked to the guy and came back after few minutes, they told the driver that he wouldn't get shit because they knew that i was tricked by him to come and pretend like i am a customer lol he was so upset he started hitting himself and almost cried ( dam_n i got scared of him loosing his mind and kill me :D ) i did feel bad for the old bugger but ..........

Happy i kathu you wrote: ONLY THE COLLECTIVE ANGRY POWER OF THE AVERAGE, LONG SUFFERING THAI CITIZENS WILL CHANGE THIS SITUATION And i know for a fact that a lot of regular Thais have had enough of this already. It will happen IMHO....

I think you havn't got the way politics work, angry thai citizens don't count here for crap , many examples for this lol

By the way i have never been to phuket and will never go there, because of the things a have heard from many people :)

I have posted similar opinions as Happy In K regarding the culture of VIOLENCE that the tuk tuk mafia drivers find themselves in. They are subject to violence if they don't follow their mafia rules, they are prone to violence if customers don't cave in to their over the top expectations. However, I couldn't disagree more that they are going to revolt and give Phuket a cost efficient and convenient public transportation system. They aren't the slightest bit interested in the public good. Yes it is all survival and money for them. No, that alone doesn't make them evil, of course. However it is a dream that a tuk tuk mafia drivers revolt (if it happens) is going to change things for the better for the PUBLIC. Maybe for them. Only a government that actually cares about the public and that includes TOURISTS (whose happiness is vital to Phuket's future as a popular destination) have the potential power to really make a positive change for the public. Will they do anything other than lip service? Fat chance, also.

Real life example. How did it happen that Bangkok's taxi meters now mostly use their meters when it used to be none of them did? Was it a driver's revolt? Of course not! It was strong government.

:)

OMG.. whats with you guys..another case of ''please read and understand'' the post before you come out with ''YOUR VERSION"" of what i said..BUT I DIDN"T SAY!!! PLLLEEEAAASSS !!

Where did i say ''The tuk-tuk drivers will revolt'' Please put your glasses on, put your brain in gear, read this over and over SLOWLY and try and understand this time""ONLY THE COLLECTIVE ANGRY POWER OF THE AVERAGE, LONG SUFFERING THAI CITIZENS WILL CHANGE THIS SITUATION''...easy huh, now go have a nice cuppa and post a reply with your re-thought reply..Thank you very much.

Also regarding your comment re Bangkok taxis not adrivers revolt , but strong government...I agree 100% but this is not Bangkok..Please also read as i posted, again that you didn't absorb, or chose not too..

The sheer number of tuk-tuks that are leased to these drivers by the owners [the big money makers] are the root cause of all these problems. Unfortunately the people who are the cause are also the ones who have the power [probably by law or at least legislation] to put an end to this fiasco!! Are they going to? 5555555 No way, far too big an earner for them

ANOTHER POSTERS WORDS, NOT MINE, BELOW...BUT I AGREE FULLY

Certainly the Governor of Phuket - who probably gets kickbacks from the Tuk Tuk mob - isn't going to do anything. He is a big talker. He is all over the island dining with big wheels and talking. That's all he does, talk, talk, talk.

I am not at all interested in continueally going head to head with you or any other person,who continually misconstrue clear posts.

If you are doing it for a stir or perhaps simply boredom,please go play somewhere else.Much appreciated Sir.

I am a foreigner ( iranian/dutch) living in holland. When i came here i was surprised about the fact that foreigners did not try to behave as they should in a country where they are new comers ( specially a portion of people from certain countries wich were at the time mostly completely uneducated guest workers ). As a foreigner/new comer you have a responsibility to behave better than the standards in that society and even then you will have trouble being accepted a little by the people of that country. We can find many excuses for the people who could or would not blend in or even behave... :)

First time i was in thailand i was even more shocked about the bad behaviour of the tourist :D s/expats and after i got to know some people i noticed that thai people i knew started complaining to me and telling me all the shit :D they had to put up with the "farangs" who behave like they own the place and thais who are seving them in a way ( hotel/hospital etc) are actualy their servants :D .

20 years ago i was wandering when the situation is going to change and anti immigrant sentiments which are very common and natural to humans going to surface ( it did ) the same thing seems realistic in the way thai people are ever more viewing the tourists/ new comers with 1 big difference that the foreigners mostly brig money into country and create jobs and are needen to some extent.

I don't know why i started this but just look around in thailand and you will see that a lot of people coming here have not learned to behave themself. I am not trying to say that the thais are perfect, yes a lot of things annoy me ass well. But let's look at our own faults too.

No one could tell for sure what the story behind this canadian-tuk tuk fight is, but yes the drivers have a rough life as do the BG etc

One taxidriver in bangkok brought me to a tailor so he could get a coupon for gas as a reward from the owner. I went in, talked to the guy and came back after few minutes, they told the driver that he wouldn't get shit because they knew that i was tricked by him to come and pretend like i am a customer lol he was so upset he started hitting himself and almost cried ( dam_n i got scared of him loosing his mind and kill me :D ) i did feel bad for the old bugger but ..........

:D

At last..a sensible and honest post about the other side of the coin..but dont expect a good response from all the Tuk-tuk haters[ make that Thai, in general haters] Thanks ARas for promoting another perspective.

:) Please read and understand my post, , where in gods name ,tell me did i ever come near to saying''the drivers are innocent hard working artisans''[even though a lot of them are !!

I merely have made an effort to balance this debate by posting some facts that many people dont know or more likely dont want to know[dont want to have facts interferring with a good ''lynch mob hysteria do we''!]

You or i or anyone else who unfortunately found themselves caught up in a similar situation would have no option but to do the same.IT IS SURVIVAL for them.Also as i said I DO NOT CONDONE IN ANY WAY, THEIR ACTIONS!!

Sure ,there is also an element of thugs entrenched there, and that no doubt extends from the very visible driver right up to the hidden money makers in high society[iMO the biggest thugs] but that is no different to,; many western police forces, military, taxis, football teams,etc, etc ad nauseum;All over the world, in every walk of life, you will find thugs!

And yes i do agree with what you have said above..they are a blight, and annoying and yes they take all the car parks, but as i said ''

The sheer number of tuk-tuks that are leased to these drivers by the owners [the big money makers] are the root cause of all these problems. Unfortunately the people who are the cause are also the ones who have the power [probably by law or at least legislation] to put an end to this fiasco!! Are they going to? 5555555 No way, far too big an earner for them!!.

As i have said in another post. ONLY THE COLLECTIVE ANGRY POWER OF THE AVERAGE, LONG SUFFERING THAI CITIZENS WILL CHANGE THIS SITUATION And i know for a fact that a lot of regular Thais have had enough of this already. It will happen IMHO....

wat?

So the boss are the ones going to the tuktuk drivers, putting a knife to their throat in their small village and telling them to come pay him 500$ baht a day and sit around all day drinking and harrassing tourists?

No, wait.. the driver does this on his own, he chose the easiest job he could find

I am the first to agree that violence is not always the way to solve a problem,but please ,all you expats consider what goes on in your own countries,they are not immune to these types of goings on at all. Most taxi and/or tuk-tuk drivers anywhere in the world are not exactly rocket scientists but most are good people, and it only takes a few bad apples to upset the works.

The difference is that in expats home countries these people are probably on a salary plus percent as income or they are owner drivers..The few bad apples there are either greedy and/or predatory in an bid to increse their take home pay.

In phuket only 20% are owner drivers, so the majority are leasees.These guys have to pay 500 baht dailey in the high season, and 300 baht in the low,[ and the low these days is probably at least 8 months long] to their collective employers..Who they are i can not find out yet, but no doubt they are in the upper end of society!and anonamous for their own protection.

They ,like any mafia around the world have underlings to do their menial tasks, such as finance collection,self protection,standovers, etc.Basically these upper enders are the very ones that some of you misguided expats think are the ones to appeal to to stop this rot. IMPOSSIBLE..They are not at all concerned.

What you are seeing is the tip of the iceburg [the drivers] .They are visible to us at all times, and sadly when one snaps due to the situation they are in regards finances in this quiet high season the sh--t hits the fan and ,well look at some of the outragious comments posted, unbelievable statements from some 'educated expats', quite embarressing some of them!

Anyway back to the root cause of all this; The drivers [scapegoats] are made the villain in all this.

Like i said ,high season..500 baht, low season 300 baht to be paid to the MAN. Come hel_l or high water this money MUST be paid.

They are given grace of 3 days of non pay ,then they get the visit.A beating, followed by the taking back of the tuk-tuk and basically told GO HOME and don't return..huge loss of face as well as loss of employment. Of course there is a queue of potential new drivers waiting to take his place to earn BIG MONEY [as they are told] and this cycle repeats and repeats.

And the uppers naturally want more and more tuk-tuks to provide more and more daily income...not a problem in their eyes.

Consider the sheer number of tuk-tuks now,compared to the lower number of fares, and you don't have to be Einstein to see that the drivers are stuggling to meet their financial obligations, after also paying running costs, it is near impossible to earn a basic living even now , let alone after Feb.

The consequence of all this is exactly what we see now!

When times get tough[er] a man will react, often violently in a bid to have at least some income.

This is the case in the whole TWO incidents so far regarding drivers over reacting!!

IMO this is going to get far, far more common an occurance as time goes on, as more and more drivers can not meet their obligations to the secretive bosses.....Desperate people often make the wrong decisions..thats human nature!!

I do not know what goes on in your home country, but in mine-Sydney Australia, Taxi drivers were getting killed,stabbed, mugged and bashed on daily basis for few years. It now got to a point that all taxi's have cameras installed and protective cabin around the driver.

Now you can be rest assured taxi in Sydney will never try to take you long way around or try to overcharge or rip you off in anyway what so ever.

May be some times violence is the answers!

Good post on wages and conditions.

Taxi driver in Sydney will only rape you?? What about the St George Court case going on at the moment. Problems everywhere. Just hope the Taxi driver in Sydney has good English?

Good post on wages and conditions.

Taxi driver in Sydney will only rape you?? What about the St George Court case going on at the moment. Problems everywhere. Just hope the Taxi driver in Sydney has good English?

:)

Thanks Chris..very nice to have another intelligent post.All i have tried to do is put the other side out there, but as you can see the sensationalist anti-everything Thai, posters simply can not /will not except this.

So the boss are the ones going to the tuktuk drivers, putting a knife to their throat in their small village and telling them to come pay him 500$ baht a day and sit around all day drinking and harrassing tourists?

No, wait.. the driver does this on his own, he chose the easiest job he could find

:) Very sorry my friend, but your reply seems to make no sense at all in respect of the context of my post. Please feel free to have another go.

They are visible to us at all times, and sadly when one snaps due to the situation they are in regards finances in this quiet high season the sh--t hits the fan and ,well look at some of the outragious comments posted, unbelievable statements from some 'educated expats', quite embarressing some of them!

Comment

OK, a remark, it was claimed by the head of Phukets TOT that many hotels were very full. Always sounded a bit strange and when talking to some friends it became clear that the way the system got messed up was NOT only the politics but also trying to keep local travel agents in the loop and that while many foreigners KNOW about Internet bookings etc.... AND local ripoffs...

Anyway back to the root cause of all this; The drivers [scapegoats] are made the villain in all this.

Consider the sheer number of tuk-tuks now,compared to the lower number of fares, and you don't have to be Einstein to see that the drivers are stuggling to meet their financial obligations, after also paying running costs, it is near impossible to earn a basic living even now , let alone after Feb.

2nd part of comment

Consider that if things go on as they do at present (as happened last year!!) the tourist season could be almost over...

Only thing keeping it alive at present is the globel warming (oops COOLING) in Europe.

The consequence of all this is exactly what we see now!

Thais have to realise that if tourists DONOT come, there is nobody to transport.

Nobody to stay in Hotels. All I see this year is regular customers I see every year.

Those stupid demonstrations in Bangkok are the main reason, including the airport shutdown...

Put meters in the TukTuks...

Probably not an idea wanted, but it could sort everything out especially if someone travels late at night...

Use of fixed prices, helps. Helped me in Singapore years ago when my taxidriver insisted on giving me a free tour of the Island.... He didn't know I was already there for a long time...

I have lived in Phuket for nearly a decade and I haven't ever had any problems with Tuk Tuk drivers. They are certainly more expensive then anywhere else I have been in Thailand but no one is forcing you to use them. You can always rent a car, scooter, take a taxi or just walk. For years now I have been reading on TV about the rip off prices which the Phuket Tuk Tuk drivers charge. However as long as people are paying these high rates then the Tuk Tuk drivers will keep charging those high rates. If you can't afford it or don't want to pay it then simply don't use them.

I have lived in Phuket for nearly a decade and I haven't ever had any problems with Tuk Tuk drivers. They are certainly more expensive then anywhere else I have been in Thailand but no one is forcing you to use them. You can always rent a car, scooter, take a taxi or just walk. For years now I have been reading on TV about the rip off prices which the Phuket Tuk Tuk drivers charge. However as long as people are paying these high rates then the Tuk Tuk drivers will keep charging those high rates. If you can't afford it or don't want to pay it then simply don't use them.

I completely agree with what you say. The way I see it that the majority of short stay tourist compare taxi fares with rates in their home country, and think that's Ok or even cheap. That sort of attitude has emboldened the taxi drivers to charge even more over the years. But once people realise the true costs in Thailand, based on the local economy, and start to realise they are being overcharged, then that's when the trouble starts.

I always rent from a taxi in phuket town. He takes me from phuket town to kata noi and comes get me when im finished, all for 400baht.

Not bad id say? there's a ton of other guys like him. Also if i want to borrow his car, its only 500-800baht per day.(he delivers it anywhere).

You can rent a brand new honda jazz for 1000baht a day at the airport. 100baht a day for GPS.

You can rent motorbike for 100baht a day.

You really have to be looking for trouble to be taking tuktuks, i dont even see why people would take them even if they were cheap. when traveling in poor and warm countries, renting 4x4's and motorbike is half the fun of the vacation. Goto cuba/dominican republic and all you'll see is westerners on motorbikes and vtt's, even if they're 70years old.

I always rent from a taxi in phuket town. He takes me from phuket town to kata noi and comes get me when im finished, all for 400baht.

Not bad id say? there's a ton of other guys like him. Also if i want to borrow his car, its only 500-800baht per day.(he delivers it anywhere).

You can rent a brand new honda jazz for 1000baht a day at the airport. 100baht a day for GPS.

You can rent motorbike for 100baht a day.

You really have to be looking for trouble to be taking tuktuks, i dont even see why people would take them even if they were cheap. when traveling in poor and warm countries, renting 4x4's and motorbike is half the fun of the vacation. Goto cuba/dominican republic and all you'll see is westerners on motorbikes and vtt's, even if they're 70years old.

i do understand that they alone made that choice..i have never inferred otherwise. Try kindy again this year and ,just mayby you will learn a little comprehension.

are you hideing under a tree or is it your property is worth less wise up it's there open your eyes see the reality of your own situation.

I completely agree with what you say. The way I see it that the majority of short stay tourist compare taxi fares with rates in their home country, and think that's Ok or even cheap. That sort of attitude has emboldened the taxi drivers to charge even more over the years. But once people realise the true costs in Thailand, based on the local economy, and start to realise they are being overcharged, then that's when the trouble starts.

oh my god a mod sticking it up to the mafia, fair bow's to ya mate keep it up. drive em out . i'm with ya.

violence is predominant in Thai tourist resorts,

this is very obvious to many visitors who visit over the past three years ,we can turn a blind eye and say well Farangs are basically offensive rude to the Buddhist pacifist Thais, when you have to feed your family and mafia are ruling your community there is no choice. Be aware be very careful times are a changing and most phuked residence know this now but are afraid to say as property prices have plummeted.

it is a sorry state but till those who are influential and are willing to stand up to the Thai mafia you are doomed I am sorry to say.

are we all blind or are our heads up our a**e*

violence is predominant in Thai tourist resorts,

this is very obvious to many visitors who visit over the past three years ,we can turn a blind eye and say well Farangs are basically offensive rude to the Buddhist pacifist Thais, when you have to feed your family and mafia are ruling your community there is no choice. Be aware be very careful times are a changing and most phuked residence know this now but are afraid to say as property prices have plummeted.

it is a sorry state but till those who are influential and are willing to stand up to the Thai mafia you are doomed I am sorry to say.

are we all blind or are our heads up our a**e*

Hi M8,

I think you are confusing Phuket with Belfast. Your reply shows a complete lack of knowledge on the topic / situation. Anyway, if it is so bad on Phuket then just stay away and stop complaining. It sounds like Phuket would be better off without you anyway.

I've been to Patong 2 nights ago, looking for a parking around Bangla or not that far.

I hate Patong, I seldom go there, but I was supposed to meet a few friends (I went to Kailm bay instead later).

It took me about 30 min. and finally I was tired after my third round in the traffic. I want to park in between tuk tuk space, there was lot of space, but they didn't allowed me. I start arguing with them, before I never did, but after reading all these stories, you start to feel like having the rights to argue against a sick system.

There are no signs on the streets about special areas reserved to tuk tuk. If in Thaiand the land is public, I have the same right to park where tuk tuk park too. Even at the gate of Junk Ceylon there are private drivers company which don't allow you to park there, I have argued with them too.

Everybody knows about tuk tuk mafia, but authorities just pretend they don't see.

Same as for prostitution, it is illegal and forbidden in Thailand but...

By the other side foreigners are charged and fined for stupid things like keeping a beer mat in a bar, most probably after having spent already a few thousands bath in drinks...

Situation in Phuket is getting slightly dangerous: I was robbed in my place just before Christmas, most probably by a private taxi driver that I invited to my home the same day to give him the flights details of few friends coming to Phuket. Good payback, I just want to give him some job. And he knew I wouldn't be at home that night, I told him. Yes, what a fool I am.

Too many gunshots flying in the air lately, in Patong, Nai Harn, Kata, Phuket Town... I don't know anymore where I should feel safe.

Looks like Sicily about 25-30 years ago, and I know what it means.

Just today I saw a few Thai people going to Villa Market, a couple of them with a gun at the belt. They were not policemen, they were looking around suspiciously, few of them had leather bags with who knows what inside.

It's a small island with 250.000 people. How's possible that it's so difficult to control?!?!?!

Maybe police should care less about the traffic at Chalong Circle, looking for bike drivers without helmets and be more involved in serious crimes. And don't tell me that safety is important too, because those helmets are everything but a protection!!

But this is Phuket, if we choose to leave here we should accept the place like it is, right?

Or shall we contribute to make a country a little better?

It is refreshing to be proven right to quickly. As I stated in the other thread, the tourist got what he deserved. It isn't stated here but I'm quite sure by 'assault' they mean kicking the tuk tuk driver - you just don't do that in Thailand.

I do agree that this guy got what he deserved,He's in a place that is NOT HIS, Thailand has it's own customs which we should (as farang's) respect and follow, Yes,the majority of Tuk Tuk drivers can be arsoles but diplomacy should be first on our list, He is lucky thet there were no more tuk tuk drivers on hand. For 1000 baht, he should consider it a CHEAP lesson on how to behave when YOU are only a VISITOR.