Canadian Confesses, Pays Fine At Phuket Court

I have lived in Phuket for nearly a decade and I haven't ever had any problems with Tuk Tuk drivers. They are certainly more expensive then anywhere else I have been in Thailand but no one is forcing you to use them. You can always rent a car, scooter, take a taxi or just walk. For years now I have been reading on TV about the rip off prices which the Phuket Tuk Tuk drivers charge. However as long as people are paying these high rates then the Tuk Tuk drivers will keep charging those high rates. If you can't afford it or don't want to pay it then simply don't use them.

I completely agree with what you say. The way I see it that the majority of short stay tourist compare taxi fares with rates in their home country, and think that's Ok or even cheap. That sort of attitude has emboldened the taxi drivers to charge even more over the years. But once people realise the true costs in Thailand, based on the local economy, and start to realise they are being overcharged, then that's when the trouble starts.

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I always rent from a taxi in phuket town. He takes me from phuket town to kata noi and comes get me when im finished, all for 400baht.

Not bad id say? there's a ton of other guys like him. Also if i want to borrow his car, its only 500-800baht per day.(he delivers it anywhere).

You can rent a brand new honda jazz for 1000baht a day at the airport. 100baht a day for GPS.

You can rent motorbike for 100baht a day.

You really have to be looking for trouble to be taking tuktuks, i dont even see why people would take them even if they were cheap. when traveling in poor and warm countries, renting 4x4's and motorbike is half the fun of the vacation. Goto cuba/dominican republic and all you'll see is westerners on motorbikes and vtt's, even if they're 70years old.

I always rent from a taxi in phuket town. He takes me from phuket town to kata noi and comes get me when im finished, all for 400baht.

Not bad id say? there's a ton of other guys like him. Also if i want to borrow his car, its only 500-800baht per day.(he delivers it anywhere).

You can rent a brand new honda jazz for 1000baht a day at the airport. 100baht a day for GPS.

You can rent motorbike for 100baht a day.

You really have to be looking for trouble to be taking tuktuks, i dont even see why people would take them even if they were cheap. when traveling in poor and warm countries, renting 4x4's and motorbike is half the fun of the vacation. Goto cuba/dominican republic and all you'll see is westerners on motorbikes and vtt's, even if they're 70years old.

i do understand that they alone made that choice..i have never inferred otherwise. Try kindy again this year and ,just mayby you will learn a little comprehension.

I have lived in Phuket for nearly a decade and I haven't ever had any problems with Tuk Tuk drivers. They are certainly more expensive then anywhere else I have been in Thailand but no one is forcing you to use them. You can always rent a car, scooter, take a taxi or just walk. For years now I have been reading on TV about the rip off prices which the Phuket Tuk Tuk drivers charge. However as long as people are paying these high rates then the Tuk Tuk drivers will keep charging those high rates. If you can't afford it or don't want to pay it then simply don't use them.

are you hideing under a tree or is it your property is worth less wise up it's there open your eyes see the reality of your own situation.

I completely agree with what you say. The way I see it that the majority of short stay tourist compare taxi fares with rates in their home country, and think that's Ok or even cheap. That sort of attitude has emboldened the taxi drivers to charge even more over the years. But once people realise the true costs in Thailand, based on the local economy, and start to realise they are being overcharged, then that's when the trouble starts.

oh my god a mod sticking it up to the mafia, fair bow's to ya mate keep it up. drive em out . i'm with ya.

violence is predominant in Thai tourist resorts,

this is very obvious to many visitors who visit over the past three years ,we can turn a blind eye and say well Farangs are basically offensive rude to the Buddhist pacifist Thais, when you have to feed your family and mafia are ruling your community there is no choice. Be aware be very careful times are a changing and most phuked residence know this now but are afraid to say as property prices have plummeted.

it is a sorry state but till those who are influential and are willing to stand up to the Thai mafia you are doomed I am sorry to say.

are we all blind or are our heads up our a**e*

violence is predominant in Thai tourist resorts,

this is very obvious to many visitors who visit over the past three years ,we can turn a blind eye and say well Farangs are basically offensive rude to the Buddhist pacifist Thais, when you have to feed your family and mafia are ruling your community there is no choice. Be aware be very careful times are a changing and most phuked residence know this now but are afraid to say as property prices have plummeted.

it is a sorry state but till those who are influential and are willing to stand up to the Thai mafia you are doomed I am sorry to say.

are we all blind or are our heads up our a**e*

Hi M8,

I think you are confusing Phuket with Belfast. Your reply shows a complete lack of knowledge on the topic / situation. Anyway, if it is so bad on Phuket then just stay away and stop complaining. It sounds like Phuket would be better off without you anyway.

I've been to Patong 2 nights ago, looking for a parking around Bangla or not that far.

I hate Patong, I seldom go there, but I was supposed to meet a few friends (I went to Kailm bay instead later).

It took me about 30 min. and finally I was tired after my third round in the traffic. I want to park in between tuk tuk space, there was lot of space, but they didn't allowed me. I start arguing with them, before I never did, but after reading all these stories, you start to feel like having the rights to argue against a sick system.

There are no signs on the streets about special areas reserved to tuk tuk. If in Thaiand the land is public, I have the same right to park where tuk tuk park too. Even at the gate of Junk Ceylon there are private drivers company which don't allow you to park there, I have argued with them too.

Everybody knows about tuk tuk mafia, but authorities just pretend they don't see.

Same as for prostitution, it is illegal and forbidden in Thailand but...

By the other side foreigners are charged and fined for stupid things like keeping a beer mat in a bar, most probably after having spent already a few thousands bath in drinks...

Situation in Phuket is getting slightly dangerous: I was robbed in my place just before Christmas, most probably by a private taxi driver that I invited to my home the same day to give him the flights details of few friends coming to Phuket. Good payback, I just want to give him some job. And he knew I wouldn't be at home that night, I told him. Yes, what a fool I am.

Too many gunshots flying in the air lately, in Patong, Nai Harn, Kata, Phuket Town... I don't know anymore where I should feel safe.

Looks like Sicily about 25-30 years ago, and I know what it means.

Just today I saw a few Thai people going to Villa Market, a couple of them with a gun at the belt. They were not policemen, they were looking around suspiciously, few of them had leather bags with who knows what inside.

It's a small island with 250.000 people. How's possible that it's so difficult to control?!?!?!

Maybe police should care less about the traffic at Chalong Circle, looking for bike drivers without helmets and be more involved in serious crimes. And don't tell me that safety is important too, because those helmets are everything but a protection!!

But this is Phuket, if we choose to leave here we should accept the place like it is, right?

Or shall we contribute to make a country a little better?

It is refreshing to be proven right to quickly. As I stated in the other thread, the tourist got what he deserved. It isn't stated here but I'm quite sure by 'assault' they mean kicking the tuk tuk driver - you just don't do that in Thailand.

I do agree that this guy got what he deserved,He's in a place that is NOT HIS, Thailand has it's own customs which we should (as farang's) respect and follow, Yes,the majority of Tuk Tuk drivers can be arsoles but diplomacy should be first on our list, He is lucky thet there were no more tuk tuk drivers on hand. For 1000 baht, he should consider it a CHEAP lesson on how to behave when YOU are only a VISITOR.