Canadian Confesses, Pays Fine At Phuket Court

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hrmm. Tough choice. Pay 1000B and be done with it or fight it and be stuck in Phuket indefinitely waiting for your court case which may bring a questionable outcome anyway.

That was probably the best and last 1000B he will ever spend in Thailand.

Too right.

So how many tourists will also not now come to Thailand.. More income lost to Phuket tourism.

caf

It's a Shame he already left! I for one would like to have bought him a beer! Heck we could have all pitched in and bought him a few rounds and helped to make up for the 1000 baht lost to that BS! Good on him!

Let's see:

a 1000 baht fine and a misdemeanor assault charge that will never show up on any criminal record search

-or-

a 5000 baht fee to change his airline reservation or possibly a new tcket, hotel and living expenses for however long he would have to remain in Thailand, loss of salary and possible loss of a job if he's delayed too long

Hmmmm.... let me think....

This is one method that the local police use to coerce foreigners into accepting responsibilty for crimes, accidents, etc that they did not commit. It's just one more scam in the Land of Smiles.

Correctomundo. Just as in Vegas, the HOUSE always wins. People who think a confession has any meaning here are just very uninformed about the local realities.

Funny though how anyone who gets arrested always confesses. Irrespective of being Thai or foreigner.

Not sure about Phuket, but in Pattaya on daily news there is 2-4 arrests and people always confess!

In Thailand, i wonder if they have 100% confessions rate? and if they do, how is it achieved? CIA could not get a confession out of half of the terrorists using all types of torture, so what does Thai police use?

Love to see what this forum got to say now .

seem like the cry wolf had been caught and of cos he is a tourist and a 1000b fine is ok and he can go ..

what happen to yesterday .. big words about how we should punish the Tuk tuk driver .. what about the tourist , how about he go to jail .

this is really a Farang experience - what is new and all this cos of 50b

TukTuk's in Pathaya are renown thugs.

The 150b trick is not knew either. For the Canadian surely it was not about the money but the principle.

To expect the guy to know that the Hotel was next door is a bit narrow. Personally i almost fell for it in a similar situation. First time in Thailand, confused because of all the new impressions, on top the signs written in Thai, etc. my instinct told me not to trust the TukTuk driver. The 200b ride was just round the corner!!! Any ride there is 150b.

Regulation is the answer. Fair play.

The Farang had no choice, he had to accept, pay and lick his wounds on the plane.

Not the best for Thai turism, that is incidentally declining; and the TukTuks and related thugs are getting more desperated.

Next year I am in Cambodya :)

Namaste

We cannot generalize that farangs are arrogant or all tu-tuk or taxi drivers are bad.

In the land of smiles one has to show patience. Even the poor tuk-tuk driver asked more for the short

travel, after 50 B is nothing.

While I was traveling in Sri Lanka the auto rickshaw driver did the same thing. But I paid the fare without argument . I do not blame these poor workers . One has to adapt and adjust to the

conditions of a foreign land.

You must have just gotten off the boat. These 'poor' workers will rob you blind every chance they get whether it is at the night market or tuk tuk drivers. Trying to rob the newcomers blind and suggesting it is culturally okay to do so is ridiculous. There has to be a reason the authorities allow these guys to rip off the tourists. Anybody have any ideas??? Yesterday, there were about 30 police officers stopping motorcyclists without helmuts and cars for people not wearing seat belts. I started photographing the whole show and a cop with a lot of ribbons came up to me and said they were not wearing helmuts etc. I thought he was gonna try and confiscate my camera. I asked him how much he got out of it and he just smiled at me and said not enough. Then I asked him if I could take his picture and he said sure. He gave me a nice smile and I took the shot. Can anyone imagine being able to do this back in England or the USA? You would probably get shot. Here it seems to be an honor to get caught ripping people off. Wht a joke.

So that's what they mean by Catch 22! Whatever you do, you're wrong!

He admitted guilt to assault in a Thai court, and there is no other evidential or factual information presented (ie provocation or self defence) to admonish or mitigate his culpability for the offence.

Alternatively, if he admitted guilt just to board his connecting flight, then he is potentially liable for perjury - a much more serious offence under Thai law.

Although others may opine differently, Thai law is fair and just.

Are you, by an chance, a reincarnated member of the Spanish Inquisition? Because that's the kind of logic they used, mate.

I feel a new indie film box office smash is brewing --

The incredibly short tuk tuk ride of Anwar the Canuck, English teacher of Japan

Admission charge 150 baht. No make that 100 ... (short film)

Edited by Jingthing
TukTuk's in Pathaya are renown thugs.

The 150b trick is not knew either. For the Canadian surely it was not about the money but the principle.

To expect the guy to know that the Hotel was next door is a bit narrow. Personally i almost fell for it in a similar situation. First time in Thailand, confused because of all the new impressions, on top the signs written in Thai, etc. my instinct told me not to trust the TukTuk driver. The 200b ride was just round the corner!!! Any ride there is 150b.

Regulation is the answer. Fair play.

Well - people take Tuk tuk for many Reason .. and since their moving fromone hotel to another , i am guessing there would have a few bag .

and is common for people to take tuk tuk for short distance even if it less then 2 KM .

in fact when i am in bangkok .. i hop on tuk tuk when i travel between club and pub .. sometime which is less then 1-2 km .

the point is .. he bargain a price and both AGREE if you read the original post ,

he and his Wife agree to the fare for the short Trip ..

even when i am in my country , i had took taxi for just 1-2 km cos i am late .

so do not assume the tuk tuk know wha the farang is thinking .

is a DEAL .. and one who break a DEAL in my view is Wrong in the first place .

so this is a good lesson for him and for everyone .

From the article :

"The charges against Mr Anwar followed similar charges filed by the Canadian against Mr Tassanarit on Tuesday, the day the altercation took place.

Mr Tassanarit's preliminary hearing took place yesterday at Phuket Provincial Court, where he was granted bail."

No one had addressed that point, that the tuk-tuk driver was 'also' charged with assault.

I say "well done" and typical.. the 1,000 baht to the ex pat most likely has a smaller impact on him than it will on the tuk tuk driver..

Also the article was mute on weather the driver made bail or not.. I woulad say most likely ...NOT... costs money!

Violence is always unfortunate...