Canadian Confesses, Pays Fine At Phuket Court

webfact

:)

Hey jingthing...as a business operater here in Phuket,do you really expect me and many others to suffer even more financial hardship so you can''have some fun'' Thanks a lot ...Why dont you keep your great ideas for the dump you live in ''Patts'' i do believe it is!!There must be plenty over there for you to focus on.

The hysteria being created about a few very unfortunate and unnecessary incidents is already very damaging for us all.

Consider the amount of people who actually do have a problem, compared to the number of visiters and it is a very small percentage.It does happen, no doubt about it and every effort should be made to to prevent any more, but hey, any touristy destination in the world has similar problems!! BTW....I DO NOT CONDONE THEIR BEHAVIOUR IN ANY WAY, SHAPE OR FORM!!

Your ''solution'' to hurt the various ''mafia's'' will hurt all of us directly in the hip pocket and with this predicted short high season we already have enough problems here thank you very much!!!Please butt out!

Sure, make people aware of what can happen but dont make us all suffer more than is neccessary for your fun!!

If you are worried about lost revenues perhaps you should take action to clean up your own community. Take a trip down to the Governor's office, the Phuket Gazette, or do it the old fashioned way by picketing. Organize some resistance. It isn't Jingthing's fault. The problems of Phuket are entirely on the government and local community to solve and make changes.

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Compared to Phuket, Pattaya seems to be heaven on earth.

In my home country, Belgium, most taxi drivers are scum too, especially in Brussels.

I cannot say why, because that would not be politically correct.

I avoid taking a taxi in Belgium and when I really need one I would rather call one from a trusted company.

From the Gazette earlier

The Canadian then rudely pointed a finger in his face and kicked him in the chest, the tuk-tuk driver claimed.

Mr Tassanarit lifted his shirt for the Gazette to reveal bruising on his stomach, which he claimed to reporters was the result of Mr Anwar kicking him

Kicked him in the chest but the bruising is on his stomach???

A 51 year old teacher kicking a 30 year old man in the chest or stomach? I don't think so. I'm sure the man felt taken advantage of. While I was in Phuket, I never once took a tuk tuk because of their high prices, and the fact that they would yell at me from across the street. I find the yelling rude, and they wanted 200 bht to do some place I would walk to in just a couple of minutes. Actually, at 150 bht, the guy got a better deal than I was ever offered. A one minute ride for 150, I would pass on 200 for a one minute walk.

I don't know why anyone would go to Phuket. The tuk tuks, massage girls, shop owners, and people in front of restaurants are so aggressive, that it's like a street hawker in steroids. Everything is way more expensive than other parts of Thailand. I really wished I had listened to more of my friends. Most said don't go, there is nothing to see, and it's way to expensive. A couple said that I should see it, just to get the experience. I listened to the wrong friends, I thought the ones telling me not to go were just being cheap charlies. Now I advise everyone to skip phuket.

Are you realistically expecting me to consider that calling a black guy 'a good athlete' is racist just because he is a good athlete?

Look, you clearly have some seriously deficient reading comprehension limitations. You do. You the INDIVIDUAL, not people of your race -- YOU. Of course, calling a SPECIFIC black guy a good athlete or a SPECIFIC Thai stupid or a SPECIFIC South Asian stingy is NOT racist. It is the mass generalizations that are racist, such as blacks are great athletes it comes from the jungle or Indians are stingy or they smell bad, that's their nature or Jews are all smart and good with money that explains the big noses. Those kinds of statements are always racist. In the case of Anwar the SPECIFIC individual Canuck, sure its fine and not racist to say you think he was being stingy if that's what you think. You are getting excited about something that I never said nor would any logical person, so give it a rest, OK? If you are going to get your knickers in a twist about something I said or meant, please let it be about something I ACTUALLY said or meant.

Edited by Jingthing

<snip>

I do worry about how frightened some of you seem about these small Thai people.

It's not the small Thai person that we're worried about - it's the 5 or 10 of his mates who come out of nowhere to join him that's the worry.

Anyway, nice to see the police, yet again, taking care of their paymasters. :)

On the pavements of Pattaya you can buy anywhere weapons that are forbidden in Europe, such as truncheons and boxing irons.

I think it is better to avoid problems.

Hey jingthing...as a business operater here in Phuket,do you really expect me and many others to suffer even more financial hardship so you can''have some fun'' Thanks a lot ...Why dont you keep your great ideas for the dump you live in ''Patts'' i do believe it is!!There must be plenty over there for you to focus on.

The hysteria being created about a few very unfortunate and unnecessary incidents is already very damaging for us all.

Consider the amount of people who actually do have a problem, compared to the number of visiters and it is a very small percentage.It does happen, no doubt about it and every effort should be made to to prevent any more, but hey, any touristy destination in the world has similar problems!! BTW....I DO NOT CONDONE THEIR BEHAVIOUR IN ANY WAY, SHAPE OR FORM!!

Your ''solution'' to hurt the various ''mafia's'' will hurt all of us directly in the hip pocket and with this predicted short high season we already have enough problems here thank you very much!!!Please butt out!

Sure, make people aware of what can happen but dont make us all suffer more than is neccessary for your fun!!

Not for fun. As a public service and as one possible tactic to put real pressure on the only groups that have any hope of changing anything there. People should know what they are getting themselves into, whether it be Phuket, Pattaya, or Timbuktu.

Cry me a river. No business has the inherent right to prosper. You want to whitewash the problems so that the plane loads of unaware people will keep coming and spending money. I have proposed one way of putting heat on the power structure there (corrupt violent mafias, corrupt government, severe bias against non-Thais when there is a conflict, the possibly true complacent rest on our rotten laurels view that the suckers will keep coming NO MATTER WHAT). Do you have a better idea? OK, spit it out please. If you are satisfied with officials saying we are going to have a meeting about it, well, then, you obviously don't care and are basically taking the side of the corrupt power structure there implicitly. Your greedy self interest is evident ($$$$$). Who has the more ethical stance here?

Edited by Jingthing

He admitted guilt to assault in a Thai court, and there is no other evidential or factual information presented (ie provocation or self defence) to admonish or mitigate his culpability for the offence.

Alternatively, if he admitted guilt just to board his connecting flight, then he is potentially liable for perjury - a much more serious offence under Thai law.

Although others may opine differently, Thai law is fair and just.

Just as the driver was desperate to meet his monthly costs, so too is this teacher. If he does not plead guilty he misses his flight. It is not the cost of the ticket that would worry him as much as not getting back to work. If International school teachers are late to return at the end of a school break, there is a very good chance they are docked pay or in some extreme cases have their contract terminated. A day's pay ( or how many more ? ) is worth far more than the fine not too mention the possible loss of his job.

Sad, but in the end, it is all about the money and has nothing to do with truth or justice.

When I make an agreement, I usually honour that agreement, even if I feel sour about it afterwards.

Finally this stupid story started with a dispute over merely 50 baht, peanuts for a tourist anyway.

This does not mean that I approve violent attacks on tourists.

I just learnt one thing: to stay away from Phuket.

Come on folks! He plead guilty and paid the fine to get the hel_l out of that shit hole. These tuck tuk drivers are just to thuggish to believe that he was a victim of this Canadian. I once had a motor bike run into my parked car and I ended up paying for his hospital treatment just to get my passport back from the police. That fish you smell is Thai justice and the totally ingrained bias against white farangs. It is all about tea money and nothing to do with fairness. All part of the excitement of being in Thailand.

QUOTE (krading @ 2010-01-07 21:50:42)

QUOTE (Credo @ 2010-01-07 22:33:04)

All this stuff in Phuket is starting to make Pattaya look pretty good.

Stretching it a bit now aren't we?

I don't think so. Transport-wise and shopping wise, Pattaya is way better. We've got to be. Our beach is ugly.

Yes Pattaya so called beaches are ugly...shopping wise Phuket has everything you can buy in Pattaya ...You forgot to mention about the pollution in Pattaya....when I was there in Nov 2007 you could not even see the offshore islands....here in Phuket we can see for miles and miles...All you knockers of Phuket who say they will never come here is music to my ears....we dont need any riff-raff down here like the kind that idle away their lives in Pattaya

This must have happened as the Canadian man did not want the harassment by the local cops & system. Been thru the same once but fortunately did not have any physical fight & also thankful to the cop who told me that the harassment would be tremendous if I had to file a complaint

There are transport mafia problems in other parts of Thailand and some other cities in the world. In my experience things are much worse in Phuket than Pattaya as far as public transport. Phuket is the only place in Thailand that is on my never again list, and I have lots of company, some "riff raff" (what a quaint term), some not. Sometimes, I have had negative transport mafia experiences in other countries, for example the taxi mafia in Prague is no fun (however in Prague there are excellent public transport options so you can avoid the taxis).

People who think there isn't a BIG problem around this issue in Phuket which at least has the potential over time to hurt tourism there, are playing ostrich.

I haven't been to Phuket in some years and won't be going, so maybe I am wrong saying that the shopping is MUCH better in Pattaya. I am comparing today's Pattaya with Phuket of some years ago. Do you have a Bangkok style mega luxury mall like Central Pattaya Beach there now (easily accessible for 10 baht from most tourists locations in a large area)?

Edited by Jingthing

I really have to agree with you on all the above. The only way things will change here is if the Thais feel the repercussions of their actions on their wallets! It's a simple feedback system and works.

It's unfortunate that many of the innocent non-Thais doing business here will suffer somewhat also but "denial" is not a viable option. I say spread the news, good or bad and let the "chips land where they fall"!

I agree that the biggest villains are the `Dons` - the owners who pay the graft contributing to the predominant rotten corruption. But you are way off mark portraying the the drivers as innocent hard working artisans.

Tuk tuk experiences are the number one bad experience tourists complain of when visiting the island. Why is that? Most don`t read this forum so are unlikely to be predjudiced. That must leave their experiences - of being charged 1st world prices in a 3rd world country for a 10th rate service. Of agreeing one (overpriced) fare and being charged more upon arrival at destination, often with menaces. Of being driven by a surly drunk. Of being constantlty pestered while out for a leisurely stroll. Of having nowhere to park, and being attacked if they park in a public spot stolen by these thugs.

No one forces these guys to be tuk tuk drivers. There are plenty of jobs on the building sites where it seems only the burmese are prepared to get their hands dirty.

I really think they expect tourists to walk towards them with their wallets open inviting them to take what they want. When that doesnt happen, thats when they get angry and violent.

I really have to agree with you on all the above. The only way things will change here is if the Thais feel the repercussions of their actions on their wallets! It's a simple feedback system and works.

It's unfortunate that many of the innocent non-Thais doing business here will suffer somewhat also but "denial" is not a viable option. I say spread the news, good or bad and let the "chips land where they fall"!

i agree it could be stopped so easily if the will was there.

so sad to see all this being allowed to happen

caf

Not defending the actions of the driver by any means but didn't the guy agree to 150 then offer 100. Probably not a good idea in any foreign country over 50 baht.
Agree, the fare had been negotiated so be it, there are two sides to the story. The fact that the driver had been refused bail indicates he is known to the police, that could favor the complainents story.

Well without reading all of this it looks like the 2nd side of the story wins. Still in all he agreed to a contract and should have fulfilled it!

Regarding the website idea. I do think its a pretty good idea that has at least a little potential to put some real money pressure on the only elements that make any difference. It would have to make the google first page for Phuket searches to have a real impact. I never said I was going to start such a website myself. I do think a person located OUTSIDE of Thailand would be prerequisite. Clearly the powers that be feel any particular negative press story will just come and go. So their strategy is just to give lip service once in a while (if even that) and cynically wait for the temporary heat to pass. So somehow or another, a more constant form of heat is needed. Clearly the Bangkok government has much more pressing concerns. Any better ideas?

BTW, as far as the somewhat humorous domain name ideas for this proposed website. Well, if you are shooting for top google placement and some real resonance in a new website, it is often helpful to have a domain name with some SIZZLE and sometimes also some humor.

Edited by Jingthing

I am glad of this Forum and Big Trouble in Tourist Thailand, I wanted to visit Phuket but will never ever go there now.

I will spend my money elsewere, when I go on Hoiliday I want to relax and have good time not get robbed our beat up then have some locals

say it is my fault because I am not Thai. :)

i hate tuk-tuks, they are worse than the thai whores...

i have lived in thailand for over 10 years, and am happy to

say i have only had to use them 4 or 5 times, every time

they attempt to rip you off.

as an example in chiang mai, they try to charge foreigners 600

baht for a 15 minute trip out of the city to the local small

airport, take a meter taxi and its a little under 300 baht.

tuk-tuks assume all foreigners are either super rich and loaded,

or completely stupid.

you walk along the street minding your own business, they keep

beeping and following you and "tuk-tuk where you go".

i urge all foreigners to boycott them and not use them.

to hel_l with tuk-tuks and their looser drivers.

DONT USE THEM.. teach them a lesson, and send them to the poor

house.

Edited by mxr

Come on folks! He plead guilty and paid the fine to get the hel_l out of that shit hole. These tuck tuk drivers are just to thuggish to believe that he was a victim of this Canadian. I once had a motor bike run into my parked car and I ended up paying for his hospital treatment just to get my passport back from the police. That fish you smell is Thai justice and the totally ingrained bias against white farangs. It is all about tea money and nothing to do with fairness. All part of the excitement of being in Thailand.

I say that you are completely correct and that it doesn't require arocket scientist to see through all the rhetoric. A 51-yr old kicked a 30-yrold local in the chest, etc. over 50 baht... Perhaps the Canadian man kicked because hishands were restrained... Perhaps he was fighting for his life… These peoplearrive in Phuket ignorant of the dangers that await them because, in part,these forums are not completely truthful.

He simply decided to cut his losses and leave town, just as most foreigners woulddo when faced with the choice of 1. remaining in Thailandindefinitely to fight the charges in a dysfunctional, corrupt legal environmentor, 2. plead guilty, pay a modest fine and return to your home, familyand job abroad.

What a scam! These people here have no concept of ethics, morality or justiceand are simply predators. It's completely "law of the jungle" and money. I say “shame of you” to those whohave rallied to support the tuk-tuk drivers, most of which are uneducated thugswho's livelihood is based on cheating foreigners.

I say start a website outside of Thailandthat the Thais cannot censor and report the truth, whatever it may be. Blogsbased in Thailandare, unfortunately, full of non-Thais operating businesses here with their own “priorities”and agendas and perhaps less willing to be completely candid.

Good luck!

:D

dont make us all suffer more than is neccessary for your fun!!

May be you don't need to worry too much , look :

you get super models right now in Phuket : not so bad for Phuket, isn't it?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/artic...-Kate-Moss.html

Kate Moss was joined by her catwalk pal Naomi Campbell, who wore a sexy animal print bikini

What would you think if the story with the tuk tuk happened with Kate? :)

Hrmm. Tough choice. Pay 1000B and be done with it or fight it and be stuck in Phuket indefinitely waiting for your court case which may bring a questionable outcome anyway.

That was probably the best and last 1000B he will ever spend in Thailand.

Yes, that is the gist of it. They could have demanded Bt10,000 or more and financially, it would have been better off to pay than argue with these scum, both police and tuk tuk drivers. Seriously, if Phuket fell into a whirlpool, few outsiders would care. It cannot be saved as there is too much graft and corruption spanning generations. Avoid.

Love to see what this forum got to say now .

seem like the cry wolf had been caught and of cos he is a tourist and a 1000b fine is ok and he can go ..

what happen to yesterday .. big words about how we should punish the Tuk tuk driver .. what about the tourist , how about he go to jail .

This is really a Farang experience -

what is new

and all this cos of 50b

Since the Tuk Tuk driver was released on bail, chances are he will eventually pay a small fine or time will let the case drop. There are bad farangs that come to Phuket but I would never believe one word these little fiery rude crooks say. They get away with theft from passengers, calling foreign women names, and assault anyone who doesn't get out of their way. They only way they get away with it is that the Governor of Phuket and most of the police get kickbacks from these Tuk Tuk thugs. Nothing will ever be done about them because the politicians and the police are making too much money. Tourists? hel_l, Phuket officials say, it doesn't matter if they come back to visit, another will take their place and the scenario with the rude Tuk Tuk drivers continue unabated. Like my wife says, "I left Thailand (for the U.S.) 30 years ago. We come back and nothing has changed."

violence is predominant in Thai tourist resorts,

this is very obvious to many visitors who visit over the past three years ,we can turn a blind eye and say well Farangs are basically offensive rude to the Buddhist pacifist Thais, when you have to feed your family and mafia are ruling your community there is no choice. Be aware be very careful times are a changing and most phuked residence know this now but are afraid to say as property prices have plummeted.

it is a sorry state but till those who are influential and are willing to stand up to the Thai mafia you are doomed I am sorry to say.

violence is predominant in Thai tourist resorts,

this is very obvious to many visitors who visit over the past three years ,we can turn a blind eye and say well Farangs are basically offensive rude to the Buddhist pacifist Thais, when you have to feed your family and mafia are ruling your community there is no choice. Be aware be very careful times are a changing and most phuked residence know this now but are afraid to say as property prices have plummeted.

it is a sorry state but till those who are influential and are willing to stand up to the Thai mafia you are doomed I am sorry to say.

:) This is absolutely correct, and all the expat hysteria will not change this, it will only change when the true residents[Thais] not us long term visitors, are effected enough and en-masse turn against the various mafia groups and say'' enough is enough'' and petition or protest to the powers that be ,or take to the streets themselves!! At the moment ALL the other Thais are petrified of the repercussions from this minority of gangsters. And BTW there still are ahell of a lot of NICE Thais, working for a pittance,but getting on with life[surviving]and minding their own business.

There are many who think this is 100% Thai/Farang problem,but this is not true.

The desperation of theses mafia types is becoming more and more evident and they are attacking fellow Thais more and more frequently..eg

A friend who has been "based ''outside my condo for some 15 years as a tuk-tuk driver ,last year sold his tuk-tuk and is paying off a 7 seat SUV [air-con and comfort for the same fare] and also all the larger than large visiters were using his new service, and he was doing ok.His car was parked amongst all his ''mates' tuk-tuks, and as usual they sit and eat and drink together every day.

I was sharing a Chang or 6 with him early on New years evening and a surley looking elder Thai came over and shared a beer.My Thai is basic but the body language said it all.

3-4 mins later when the guy left, friend told me he had just been told in no uncertain terms ;You must go away from here and not come back..you are not ''one of us'' anymore and your car is taking OUR fares!!

On the 2 Jan he pulled up to 'test the waters' and was immediately puched out by 2 ''ex friends''..Sorry they said but Big Boss told us to do so, otherwise WE get the same....no win for any EXCEPT the dogs at the top.

Another incident re;a Tuk- tuk driver friend who is also outside our condo, took a fare at xmas to Junceylon to shop.HE told them he would wait down the road and they should call him when ready.He parks near the back of Baan Saan market and next thing he receives a punch through the window and told by a member of JUNGCEYLON mafia..F....off WE ALONE take customers away from shops!!!

Times are hard and going to get harder for all and as you know the average Thai can not afford to even use the public transport..give it time Thais in general will stand up against this controlling minority as they see their already poor lifestyle going down the drain. The collective power of downtrodden people can be very strong, and those of you who think the average thai is just a little weak guy who can't/won't do anything..look at the redshirt/blue shirt/yellow shirt confrontations...When they have a cause they HAVE to win, they will come out and do it.And become extremely aggressive!!

I realise that a lot of you expats truely believe that posting your venom and often generalisation of all thais on forum will help, but you are fooling yourselves big time.Vent your spleen ,if that makes you feel better, but it will not change anything!!

And some of the comments being made really do belong down with the few scumbags who are causing the problems.Many of you come accross as no better than they ,IMO ! Tough guys wanting to go out and bash and take over the beach road , teach them a lesson etc,etc.. Two wrongs do not make a right! But i for one would enjoy seeing you do so.In reality not as easy as tough talk on forum.