Rayong - Golf / Local Info / Kanary Bay

katyb

Hello,

I'm looking for any local advice about Rayong that you can offer.

We are coming over for 4 months in December and haven't been to Rayong area before and I'm interested in this area for the number of golf courses in close proximity! My boyfriend is a golfer and after the constant moaning last year about the lack of affordable golf when we spent the winter in Samui, I am looking at areas in Thailand with enough golf to keep him quiet.

So far I have found a few websites with good info about golfing in and around Rayong, but which course do you prefer to play? Are they all good?

Also, I will not be golfing - I will be working. Unfortunately, I have to run my business while we are away, which is why I have been looking at Kanary Bay apartments on Sangchan Beach - they seem to have good business facillities here. Does anyone have any experience of this? Or do you know of any other houses / apartments for 4 month rental in Rayong where I can get fast internet and international phone. I've looked at Kanta Gardens but I can't find a price and I suspect this is going to be hideously expensive.

Re Sangchan Beach and surrounding areas - I can't seem to find any information out about this. What sort of area is it? I keep hearing that this part of Thailand is quite industrial. Is this true?

I suppose what we're really after is ..... the golf, Ok we have that sorted. Nice beach for me (when I'm not working). Somewhere for me to work. Don't need lots of nightlife - a bar or two will do. Tescos or similar within a few kms. Thai markets - lots of these. Do you think that Rayong can offer any / all of this? Our other choice is Cha Am - any preference?

Sorry for so many questions. I do spend a lot of time researching all sorts of things on the internet but haven't had much luck with this, so any advise will be gratefully received.

Thank you in advance.

Kate

So far I have found a few websites with good info about golfing in and around Rayong, but which course do you prefer to play?  Are they all good?

Hi Kate,

I can help you a bit on the golf side...

Century Country Club (designed by Nick Faldo and Desmond Muirhead) at Ban Chang is an older course set amongst the hills... many sloping fairways and the rough can be difficult. Some long par 3's. Very basic club house and change rooms, but very cheaply priced.

Eastern Star (designed by Robert Trent Jones Jr) is a fairly flat course with wide fairways and a lot of water hazards. Excellent club house and change room facilities. Mid priced green fees. Can be windy so this can make the course a bit more difficult at times.

Green Valley Country Club (don't know who designed this one) is an excellently maintained course that is relatively easy to play... undulating hills, wide fairways, not a lot of sand and water hazards compared with Eastern Star but enough to make you think. Excellent club house and change room facilities (shared with St Andrews 2000). Mid priced green fees.

St Andrews 2000 Golf Club (designed by some sadist called Desmond Muirhead) is a dramatic course with 2 par 6's and some of the toughest holes you'll find anywhere in Thailand. Not recommended for anyone who has a handicap over 18 unless you're a masochist. Take plenty of spare golf balls, and I mean like a couple of dozen. If you are off the fairway you will never find your ball. Excellent club house and change room facilities (shared with Green Valley Country Club) and expensive green fees. Carts & caddies compulsory and ony 1 player and caddie per cart.

Lots of other good quality golf courses within a 30 minute drive of Rayong... have a look at this website for more good information.

My personal preference? Well I'm only a hack... a handicap of 23, so Green Valley is my pick.

I can help with Kanary Bay and the surrounding area. Nice service apts (but getting a little old), right across the road from beach. There really isn't much beach as they had build rock jetties out into the water in order to keep tide from eroding the road. It saved the sand, but not really beach anymore.

Even without beach it is not a bad area. You have to have a car, as public transportation (read moto taxis) can be hard to find. There are several really good seafood restaurants nearby, a couple of Thai bar/restaurants with live bands and a mall nearby (Lam Tong or soemthing). Lotus and Big C are a shor t drive.

Sorry, have no experience with Internet connection at Kanary Bay.

You could also try the Eastern Star golf club in Ban Chang mentioned earlier, they rent apt on short term as well. That would make the golf really close.

TH

Hi-

Before settling on Rayong, you may want to consider Jomtien (just south of Pattaya) or Hua Hin. Plenty of golf societies for your boyfriend. Acceptable beaches for you. Plenty of decent restaurants and other diversions. About 20 golf courses within 45 minutes of Jomtien, maybe 7 courses close to Hua Hin. Do a little more homework...

Hi i,m not into golf so cant help you with that but if your looking for somthing in the Rayong area I would advise Ban chang it has some wonderfull beaches and seafood resturants and is in the center of the golfing area. Rayong has some nice places but they are hard to find it tends to be overshadowed by the huge petro chemical works to the west.You do need to have your own transport if you stay here as there are very few taxi's baht buses in the area. If you are interested let me know what budget you have in mind so I can advise.