Storm Fells 100 Electricity Pylons In Kalasin

george

Storm fells nearly 100 electricity pylons in Kalasin

KALASIN: -- Electricity officials in Thailand's north-eastern province of Kalasin were today desperately trying to repair the damage after a fierce storm last night fell nearly 100 pylons carrying high-voltage electrical wires.

As officials from the provincial disaster prevention and mitigation office rushed to the rescue of local residents, staff at the Kalasin branch of the Provincial Electricity Authority (PEA) mobilized forces to repair the pylons along the Kalasin-Roi Et Road.

Several second-hand cars were also damaged in the storm when the tent in which they were being stored fell on top of them, shattering their windscreens, while a large number of advertising billboards were also brought down.

--TRNA 2005-04-26

Storm fells nearly 100 electricity pylons in Kalasin

KALASIN: -- Electricity officials in Thailand's north-eastern province of Kalasin were today desperately trying to repair the damage after a fierce storm last night fell nearly 100 pylons carrying high-voltage electrical wires.

As officials from the provincial disaster prevention and mitigation office rushed to the rescue of local residents, staff at the Kalasin branch of the Provincial Electricity Authority (PEA) mobilized forces to repair the pylons along the Kalasin-Roi Et Road.

Several second-hand cars were also damaged in the storm when the tent in which they were being stored fell on top of them, shattering their windscreens, while a large number of advertising billboards were also brought down.

--TRNA 2005-04-26

Fierce Summer Storms are something new in this region according to old local people. 2 weeks ago a storm (rather a localised hurricane) destroyed 30 Thai houses. Of course these houses are not strong built type. But roofs blown off and 4 cars blown off the road. Never seen before

It was fierce. Lots of roofs blown off around our village in Eastern Kalasin. I'm curious about the nature of this storm. The wind started blowing hard like it does frequently, but then suddenly kicked up like a jet engine for about 20 seconds and then gradually died down over the next several minutes. I have never heard of tornados here, but I wonder if this could have been one. Scared the daylights out of us as it was happening, and we lost an awning and a sheet metal roof on an attached bathroom.

Bryan

It was fierce. Lots of roofs blown off around our village in Eastern Kalasin. I'm curious about the nature of this storm. The wind started blowing hard like it does frequently, but then suddenly kicked up like a jet engine for about 20 seconds and then gradually died down over the next several minutes. I have never heard of tornados here, but I wonder if this could have been one. Scared the daylights out of us as it was happening, and we lost an awning and a sheet metal roof on an attached bathroom.

Bryan

I am also curious as to why these storms are happening now in Isaan. During this last storm, I was staying in a house between Mahasarakham and Kalasin.

I was pretty scared at midnight when the power was cut for over an hour, the windows were blown open(they had been half open), and the rain was driven into the bedroom.

1ec427606f.jpg

If you could see this map in motion, it shows a rather nasty cell (in purple) clipping the NE last night. The intense part (yellow) was alot larger as it swept thru. Looks like an intense low pressure met intense high pressure and there goes your roof.

Back to you in the newsroom... :o

Edited by bahtandsold

Certainly much windier than i've ever known it here.

Seen a few mini kind of tornadoes maybe fifty foot high this year,pulled quiet a crowd as it sucked up dust and paper.

In Roi-et and east of Roi-et I have seen all kinds of very strong winds and low and high pressure clashes in the last years. But now these 10 meter high mini tornados happen every week once. Motorcycles blown around. Makes everybody scared.

Same happened in Buriram. My brother-in-law just finished building a cow shed and the roof blew off with plates landing on my front porch. And again last night. Very strong wind with thunder and lightning for about 10 minutes then rain for a couple of minutes. After about half an hour I went outside again to see stars in the sky and not a sign of cloud. Very strange indeed.