Standing Room Only On Bus Back From Chiang Rai

meowchawpnom

I've always been annoyed by the fact that the last bus from CR back to CM is at 5:30 PM. Makes the trip to Mae Sai way too rushed and tiring. They should have later buses, maybe at 7:00 and 9:00.

Well, the other day, for the first time in my long experience going to Mae Sai, I arrived back in CR from MS and the 5:30 to CM was sold out. Over a dozen people who had no other way to get back stood all the way from CR to CM. The trip took 4 hours.

I was one of them, but after about 45 minutes I felt like I was going to faint and asked a young Thai if I could pay him to take his seat. He let me have his seat and then said "mai pen rai" when I offered him some money.

I was told by another Thai on the bus that the 5:30 is getting sold out more and more, and he had to stand on it recently, too.

Well, aside from the question of "is anybody in the Thai transportation department even noticing the problem?" next time I will try to buy the ticket for the 5:30 when i arrive in CR from CM, instead of 15 minutes from departure after I come back from MS. But I don't know if they will sell the tickets that early.

Be warned.

I've always been annoyed by the fact that the last bus from CR back to CM is at 5:30 PM. Makes the trip to Mae Sai way too rushed and tiring. They should have later buses, maybe at 7:00 and 9:00.

Well, the other day, for the first time in my long experience going to Mae Sai, I arrived back in CR from MS and the 5:30 to CM was sold out. Over a dozen people who had no other way to get back stood all the way from CR to CM. The trip took 4 hours.

I was one of them, but after about 45 minutes I felt like I was going to faint and asked a young Thai if I could pay him to take his seat. He let me have his seat and then said "mai pen rai" when I offered him some money.

I was told by another Thai on the bus that the 5:30 is getting sold out more and more, and he had to stand on it recently, too.

Well, aside from the question of "is anybody in the Thai transportation department even noticing the problem?" next time I will try to buy the ticket for the 5:30 when i arrive in CR from CM, instead of 15 minutes from departure after I come back from MS. But I don't know if they will sell the tickets that early.

Be warned.

Isn't life a bitch?

I think we should get this problem looked at by the U.N Never mind the famine in the Sudan, civil wars in other parts of africa and other minor problems they really should concentrate on the big problems facing humanity today.

Or at least by the Thai government, in my opinion they should get their priorities worked out the problems in the south, drought and poverty fade into insignifcance when it comes to real issues such as you having to stand up for 4 hours on a bus.

I also feel your pain when you had to ask for a seat from one of the natives without him offering it to you.

I really hope you are fully recovered from your ordeal and ready for another trying time next month or whenever your visa expires, do let us know how you get on as we could do with a laugh to brighten the day.

Be warned.

Isn't life a bitch?

I think we should get this problem looked at by the U.N Never mind the famine in the Sudan, civil wars in other parts of africa and other minor problems they really should concentrate on the big problems facing humanity today.

Or at least by the Thai government, in my opinion they should get their priorities worked out the problems in the south, drought and poverty fade into insignifcance when it comes to real issues such as you having to stand up for 4 hours on a bus.

I also feel your pain when you had to ask for a seat from one of the natives without him offering it to you.

I really hope you are fully recovered from your ordeal and ready for another trying time next month or whenever your visa expires, do let us know how you get on as we could do with a laugh to brighten the day.

he he .... :o

Bit harsh but funny all the same... :D

totster :D

Yeah, yeah, funny, ok, but let me just write something positive and thank Meowchawpnom for taking the time to write this down, I'm sure many of us go to Mae Sai on occasion and taking note of the bus situation is very helpful information; It might help some make a decision to just rent a car or fly up or get a group together and rent a minibus, etc, etc.

Thanks!!!

Cheers,

Chanchao

I always used to hire a car with a mate, or take a bike by yourself. You can pick up a 400cc in town for 300 baht and be there and back in around 6 hours if you know what you're doing. Even a 125 plastic pig would do the trick. They're only 150 baht for a day and you could come and go (go and come) in your own time and still beat the god awful bus. :o

or get a group together and rent a minibus, etc, etc.

Well from the sound of it he has twelve people at least who might chip in to rent a mini bus with him but it is awful don't you agree making him stand up it really spoilt my day reading about his or her trials and tribulations.

By the way British rail or whatever it is called these days only say they will get you to your destination they do not guarantee you a seat even at a £100 plus a ticket.

MaeRim,

If you don't think that the deterioration (worldwide) of mass transit is a serious issue that should make the corrupt politicians sit up and take notice, then your priorities are pretty screwed up. Aside from that, I don't appreciate sarcastic comments offered gratuitously when I am trying to be helpful and inform people about a problem. You strike me as a real (flame deleted by the author)

A "Plastic Pig" now you must be Brit?

skycop :D

I always used to hire a car with a mate, or take a bike by yourself. You can pick up a 400cc in town for 300 baht and be there and back in around 6 hours if you know what you're doing. Even a 125 plastic pig would do the trick. They're only 150 baht for a day and you could come and go (go and come) in your own time and still beat the god awful bus. :o

MaeRim,

If you don't think that the deterioration (worldwide) of mass transit is a serious issue that should make the corrupt politicians sit up and take notice, then your priorities are pretty screwed up. Aside from that, I don't appreciate sarcastic comments offered gratuitously when I am trying to be helpful and inform people about a problem. You strike me as a real (flame deleted by the author)

Nope I don't care as it only affects poor people so why don't you make some money and shut up whinging?

The only problem it seems to me is you and your lack of money or you would do what I do drive there now tell me you are "in tune with the enviroment".

Vegetable rights and peace.

I've never tried the public buses, because you have to go to the bus station in CMai, then CRai, then Mae Sai, and back again. I've gone by my own 150 motorbike the last two times, and several times by those pale green minibuses that cost no more than 1,000 baht.

Thanks for the heads-up about the bus being full - I'll bet it was hot, too. It reminds me of taking the bus between Masaya and Managua, crunched in against the wheelwell or standing in the aisle with 20 Nicaraguans and a few pigs and chickens.

Is it an economical thing, taking the bus because it's the cheapest? The green vans are reasonably cool and comfortable, even though they take all day. At least they don't leave without you. :o

I've even seen a CM taxi in the Mae Sai area a few times. I figure the fare for that is around 1,000 baht

I can't picture these pale-green vans... And is that 1,000 baht for the van, or just for a seat? If for a seat, that seems awfully expensive for a seat in a van/bus to Mae Sai and back...

Last time I rode a Thai bus was like 15 years ago, from Thaton to CM. The 4" of leg room still sticks in my mind. And I've always wondered why the first step is like a meter off the ground...

I've never tried the public buses, because you have to go to the bus station in CMai, then CRai, then Mae Sai, and back again.

The bus goes all the way to Mae Sai from Chiang Mai; no need to change buses in Chiang Rai. (Unless you'd wanted to)

There are both aircon as well as ordinary buses, the aircon ones should not be hot, and don't stop as much so they're much faster.

Cheers,

Chanchao

A "Plastic Pig" now you must be Brit?

skycop :D

Sure am. Well spotted, Skypig! :D

I've even seen a CM taxi in the Mae Sai area a few times. I figure the fare for that is around 1,000 baht

I'd say close to double that, Ajarn. Fuel's about 700 baht and it's 6/7 hours work for him.

I'd say close to double that, Ajarn. Fuel's about 700 baht and it's 6/7 hours work for him.

How do they charge? I thought it was something like 3 baht per kilometer? Or is it 4 baht?

About 500 k's up and back.... About 1500-2000 baht, by my guesstimate

Still a lot :o

I'll take ya' for 1199, thrills included :D

How do they charge? I thought it was something like 3 baht per kilometer? Or is it 4 baht?

Still a lot :o

I'll take ya' for 1199, thrills included :D

That'd be a good deal but the thrilling bit sounds a bit ominous, or do you know a place in CR? :D Being a married man and all, my thrilling days are over but at least I don't have to make that bugger of a journey every month now.

The travel agencies in CMai have a deal with a company that runs a whole fleet of light green minibuses. The fare may be 800 baht for a seat. It includes driver and tour guide, free buffet lunch overlooking the Golden Triangle, tours of the wat at Chiang Sien, a jade shop in Mae Sai. It's door to door from the hotels.

Still a lot

I'll take ya' for 1199, thrills included

That'd be a good deal but the thrilling bit sounds a bit ominous, or do you know a place in CR? Being a married man and all, my thrilling days are over but at least I don't have to make that bugger of a journey every month now.

The thrill is being a passenger of mine. :D:D:D:D:D:o:D

As for places in CR, I rarely miss a stop at Charin Resort, Km post #141 on the CM-CR road.. :D

charin.jpg

The travel agencies in CMai have a deal with a company that runs a whole fleet of light green minibuses.  The fare may be 800 baht for a seat.  It includes driver and tour guide, free buffet lunch overlooking the Golden Triangle, tours of the wat at Chiang Saen, a jade shop in Mae Sai.  It's door to door from the hotels.

Wow, I've never noticed them. It sounds pretty good, and worth 800 baht. I'd be careful in that jade shop, though. :o

I am a retired E-7 USAF, and I was respectful and my reply was meant to be only friendly. Married 32 years thank you all for "your service" too.

skyocp

Prettiest Marine I believe I have ever seen... :D
same problem with surin-prasat

that woul be a marines wife (mine) :o

understood, i never took it wrong :D

Be warned.

Isn't life a bitch?

A real visa might have solved everything :o:D

A real visa might have solved everything

If it would shut up this persons whinging the sooner they get a long stay visa the better.

It grieves me to say it I think they may be a Brit as you know when A British plane lands in Oz you can still here the whining even after the engines have been shut down.

Edited by maerim

A real visa might have solved everything

It grieves me to say it I think they may be a Brit as you know when A British plane lands in Oz you can still here the whining even after the engines have been shut down.

Gfaw, gfaw. Oh you are a card, never heard that one before. The whining is the disappointment on how <deleted> the country is :o

Still a lot

I'll take ya' for 1199, thrills included

That'd be a good deal but the thrilling bit sounds a bit ominous, or do you know a place in CR? Being a married man and all, my thrilling days are over but at least I don't have to make that bugger of a journey every month now.

The thrill is being a passenger of mine. :D:D:D:D:D:o:D

As for places in CR, I rarely miss a stop at Charin Resort, Km post #141 on the CM-CR road.. :D

charin.jpg

Been passed it many times but never stopped off...always in too much of a rush, but looking at them scrumptious pies, I'll definitely make the effort next time.